This research work adopts an open-circuited-series stub-tuning in sequence with unmatched antenna radiator to bring out a small form factor. Thereby, the effective antenna radiator size has been shrunk up to 0.2λ, where similar efficiency and beam pattern has been maintained. The antenna is conceptualized with symmetrical slots, which indicates a multi-ring structure to contribute multiband miniaturization. This consists a loop based rectangular-ring connected with an E-shaped patch, which is excited through a microstrip stepper impedance transmission line followed by an equally distributed strip-line. It enables enhanced impedance-matching at 2.76 GHz and 6.34 GHz by a stepper impedance transmission line with stub-loading technique. The antenna aperture area miniaturization of 56% has been achieved by introducing slots on the radiator patch. Moreover, this miniaturized patch exhibits improved gain response of 4.43 dBi and 5.37 dBi in the broadside direction. The proposed design occupies a dimension of (0.22λ × 0.26λ) mm2.
2. Singh, A. K., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Miniaturized multiband microstrip patch antenna using metamaterial loading for wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 71-82, 2018.
3. Zhang, Y. P., "A dielectric loaded miniature antenna for microcellular and personal communication," Proc. IEEE AP-Symp., 1152-1155, June 1995.
4. Hanae, E., N. Amar Touhami, and M. Aghoutane, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with spiral defected microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 53, 37-44, 2015.
5. Hung, T., J. Liu, C. Wei, C. Chen, and S. Bor, "Dual-band circularly polarized aperture-coupled stack antenna with fractal patch for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 24, 130-138, 2014.
6. Samantaray, D., S Bhattacharyya, and K. V. Srinivas, "A modified fractal-shaped slotted patch antenna with defected ground using metasurface for dual band applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, e21932, 2019.
7. Mandal, K. and P. P. Sarkar, "A compact high gain microstrip antenna for wireless applications," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 67, 1010-1014, 2013.
8. Khandelwala, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwaria, S. Kumar, and A. K. Gautam, "Analysis and design of dual band compact stacked Microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for WLAN/WiMax applications," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 69, 39-47, 2015.
9. Pinhas, S. and S. Shtrikman, "Comparison between computed and measured bandwidth of quarter-wave microstrip radiators," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 36, No. 11, 1615-1616, November 1988.
10. Chair, R., K. F. Lee, and K. M. Luk, "Bandwidth and cross-polarization characteristics of quarter-wave shorted patch antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 2, 101-103, 1999.
11. Waterhouse, R., "Small microstrip patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 8, 604-605, 1995.
12. Shi, H., J. Li, J. Shi, J. Chen, Z. Li, S. Zhu, T. A. Khan, and A. Zhang, "Miniaturized circularly polarized patch antenna using coupled shorting strip and capacitive probe feed," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 98, 235-240, 2019.
13. Motevasselian, A. and W. G. Whittow, "Miniaturization of a circular patch microstrip antenna using an arc projection," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 517-520, 2017.
14. Ouedraogo, R. O., E. J. Rothwell, A. R. Diaz, K. Fuchi, and A. Temme, "Miniaturization of patch antennas using a metamaterial-inspired technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2175-2182, 2012.
15. Jahani, S., J. Rashed-Mohassel, and M. Shahabadi, "Miniaturization of circular patch antennas using MNG metamaterials," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1194-1196, 2010.
16. Farzami, F., K. Forooraghi, and M. Norooziarab, "Miniaturization of a microstrip antenna using a compact and thin magneto-dielectric substrate," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1540-1542, 2011.
17. Zong, B., G. Wang, C. Zhou, and Y. Wang, "Compact low-profile dual-band patch antenna using novel TL-MTM structures," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 567-570, 2015.
18. Hsieh, C., C. Wu, and T. Ma, "A compact dual-band filtering patch antenna using step impedance resonators," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1056-1059, 2015.
19. Chen, H., Y. Wang, Y. Lin, S. Lin, and S. Pan, "A compact dual-band dielectric resonator antenna using a parasitic slot," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 173-176, 2009.
20. Hanae, E., N. Amar Touhami, M. Aghoutane, S. El Amrani, A. Tazon, and M. Boussouis, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014.
21. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and C. Shafai, "An engineered conductor for gain and efficiency improvement of miniaturized microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 77-90, 2013.
22. Luo, Y. and Z. N. Chen, "A gain-enhanced patch antenna using a ghost reversal source," Proc. in IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, China, 2018.
23. Ambresh, P. A., P. M. Hadalgi, P. V. Hunagund, "Effect of slots on microstrip patch antenna characteristics," 2011 International Conference on Computer, Communication and Electrical Technology (ICCCET), 239-241, March 18–19, 2011.
24. Ansari, J. A., A. Mishra, N. P. Yadav, P. Singh, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Analysis of W-slot loaded patch antenna for dualband operation," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 66, 32-38, 2012.
26. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., A John Wiley & Sons, INC Publication, 2003.
27. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 19, 1163-1175, 1948.
28. Gan, B., L. Zhou, Y. Zhang, and J. Mao, "A dual-band microstrip antenna using a circular ring and a concentric disk," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 26, 268-276, 2016.