In this paper, the wave propagation and the cutoff frequencies of a rectangular metallic waveguide, partially filled the metamaterial multilayer slabs have been studied. The equations of the TMM method are not complex and the numerical examples show that we can easily obtain the characteristics of the metamaterial multilayer's rectangular waveguide satisfyingly. The cutoff frequencies of the metamaterial waveguide show very different characteristics compared with the usual waveguide.
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ ," Soviet Phys. Uspekhi, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Nefedov, I. S. and S. A. Tretyakov, "Theoretical study of waveguiding structures containing backward-wave materials," 27 Gen. Assembly Int. Union Radio Sci., 1074-1077, Maastricht, The Netherlands, 2002.
3. Eleftheriades, G. V., A. K. Iyer, and P. C. Kremer, "Planar negative refractive index media using periodically L-C loaded transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., No. 50, 2702-2712, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.805197
4. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, Mode excitation by a line source in a parallel plate waveguide filled with a pair of parallel double-negative and double-positive slabs, IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 359-362, Columbus, OH, 2003.
5. Krowne, C. M. and M. Daniel, Electronic aspects of propagation in left-handed guided wave structures: Electromagnetic media interactions, IEEE MTT-S Int. Symp., 309-312, Philadelphia, PA, 2003.
6. Hrabar, S. and J. Bartolic, "Backward wave propagation in waveguide filled with negative permeability metamaterial," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 110-112, Columbus, OH, 2003.
7. Cory, H. and A. Shtrom, "Wave propagation along a rectangular metallic waveguide longitudinally loaded with a metamaterial slab," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 41, No. 2, 123-127, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20067
8. Borgnis, F., "Elektromagnetische Eingenschwingungen dielek-trischer Raume," Annalen der Physik, Vol. 427, No. 4, 359-384, 1939 (in Germany). doi:10.1002/andp.19394270408