Wideband analysis of frequency dispersive geometries is a challenge in inverse scattering problems. Waveguide duct is an important case in aerial targets with dominant returns. Its dispersive behavior affects the range profile analysis due to occurrence of unwanted range extension. A new high frequency analysis using model based parameter estimation (MBPE) approach is presented. A group delay criteria derived from the nonlinear scattering phase response represents the duct length. Wideband sparse measured frequency domain samples of various waveguides are used as inputs to the model. Comparison is made with joint time-frequency analysis (JTFA) and inverse fast Fourier transform (IFFT) results.
1. Zhang, Y.-Q. and D.-B. Ge, "A unified FDTD approach for electromagnetic analysis of dispersive objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 155-172, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072603
2. Kusiek, A. and J. Mazur, "Analysis of scattering from arbitrary configuration of cylindrical objects using hybrid finite-difference mode-matchnig method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 105-127, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072804
3. Nie, Z.-P., , S. Yan, S. He, and J. Hu, "On the basis functions with traveling wave phase factor for efficient analysis of scattering from electrically large targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 83-114, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081905
4. Raynal , A. M., J. T. Moore, H. Ling, "Broadband scattering data interpolation based on a relaxed adaptive feature extraction algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 99-116, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06052404
5. Potter, L. C. , D.-M. Chiang, R. Carriere, and M. J. Gerry, "A GTD-based parametric model for radar scattering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 43, 1058-1067, Oct. 1995. doi:10.1109/8.467641
6. Miller, E. K., "Model-based parameter estimation in electro-magnetics: Part I. Background and theoretical development," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 1, 42-52, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1109/74.667326
7. Censor, D., "Broadband spatiotemporal differential-operator representations for velocity-dependent scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 51-70, 2006.
8. Burkholder, R. J. and P. H. Pathak, "Analysis of EM penetration into and scattering by electrically large open waveguide cavities using Gaussian beam shooting," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 79, No. 10, Oct. 1991.
9. Liao, S. and R. J. Vernon, "On the image approximation for electromagnetic wave prpopagation and PEC scattering in cylindrical harmonics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 65-88, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06083002
10. Wang , S. , X. Guan, D.-W. Wang, X. Ma, and Y. Su, "Fast calculation of wide-band responses of complex radar targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 185-196, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06081702
11. Sabry, R. and P. W. Vachon, "Advanced polarimetric synthetic aperture radar (SAR) and electro-optical (EO) data fusion through uni¯ed coherent formulation of the scattered EM field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 189-203, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08071005
12. Tong, M.-S. and W. C. Chew, "Nystrom method with edge condition for electromagnetic scattering by 2D open structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 49-68, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06021901
13. Fuller, D. F. , A. J. Terzuoli, P. J. Collins, and R. Williams, "Approach to object classification using dispersive scattering centers," IEE Proc. Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 151, No. 2, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20040187
14. Semnani, A. and M. Kamyab, "An enhanced method for inverse scattering problems using fourier series expansion in conjunction with FDTD and PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 45-64, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061204
15. Chen, V. C. and H. Ling, Time-frequency Transforms for Radar Imaging and Signal Analysis, Artech House, 2002.
16. Rihaczek, A. W. and S. J. Hershkowitz, "Theory and Practice of Radar Target Identification," Artech House, 2000.