In this paper, the RII depressed core triple clad based structure as Zero-dispersion Shifted optical fiber is optimized to obtain small pulse broadening factor (small dispersion and its slope) and low bending loss suitable for long haul communications. The proposed structures allow reducing the dispersion, its slope and the bending loss. The Genetic Algorithm (GA) and the Coordinate Descent (CD) technique are used for the optimization. The suggested design approach involves a special cost function which includes dispersion, its slope, and bending loss impacts. The proposed algorithm and structure have inherent potential to obtain large effective area and extend tolerance of bending loss simultaneously. Meanwhile, an analytical method is used to calculate the dispersion and its slope. In the meantime, the thermal stabilities of the designed structures are evaluated.
"Zero-Dispersion Shifted Optical Fiber Design Based on GA and Cd Optimization Methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 26, 115-126, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM12060101
1. Savadi Oskouei, M., S. Makouei, A. Rostami, and Z. D. Koozeh Kanani, "Proposal for optical fiber designs with ultrahigh effective area and small bending loss applicable to long haul communications," Applied Optics, Vol. 46, No. 25, 6330-6339, 2007. doi:10.1364/AO.46.006330
2. Rostami, A. and M. Savadi Oskouei, "Investigation of chromatic dispersion and pulse broadening factor of two new multi-clad optical fibers," IJCSNS, Vol. 6, No. 8, 60-68, 2006.
3. Tian, X. and X. Zhang, "Dispersion-flattened designs of the large effective-area single-mode fibers with ring index profiles," Optics Communications, Vol. 230, 105-113, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2003.11.037
4. Zhang, X. and X. Tian, "Analysis of waveguide dispersion characteristics of WI- and WII-type triple-clad single-mode fibers," Optics and Laser Technology, Vol. 35, 237-244, 2003. doi:10.1016/S0030-3992(02)00175-5
5. Rostami, A. and M. Savadi Oskouei, "Investigation of dispersion characteristic in MI- and MII-type single mode optical fibers," Optics Communications, Vol. 271, 413-420, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2006.10.072
6. Sakai, J.-I. and T. Kimura, "Bending loss of propagation modes in arbitrary index profile optical fibers," Applied Optics, Vol. 17, No. 10, 1499-1506, 1978. doi:10.1364/AO.17.001499
7. Ghosh, G., "Temperature dispersion of refractive indexes in some silicate fiber glasses," Photonics Technology Letters,, Vol. 6, No. 3, 431-433, 1994. doi:10.1109/68.275509
8. Nunes, F. D., C. A. de Souza Melo, and H. F. da Silva Filho, "Theoretical study of coaxial fibers," Applied Optics, Vol. 35, No. 3, 388-399, 1996. doi:10.1364/AO.35.000388
9. Ghosh, G., "Dispersion of temperature coefficients of birefringence in some chalcopyrite crystal," Applied Optics, Vol. 23, 976-978, 1984. doi:10.1364/AO.23.000976
10. Tseng, Z. Q., "On the convergence of the coordinate descent method for convex differentiable minimization," Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 72, No. 1, 7-35, 1992. doi:10.1007/BF00939948
11. Varshney, R. K., A. K. Ghatak, I. C. Goyal, and S. Antony, "Design of a flat field fiber with very small dispersion slope," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 9, No. 4, 189-198, 2003. doi:10.1016/S1068-5200(03)00042-7