The effect of a substantial increase of the Faraday rotation angle has been investigated in a symmetrical resonator structure, which is represented by a one-dimensional photonic crystal with dielectric Bragg mirrors and a magnetically active layer placed between mirrors. In the numerical analysis, the parameters of a pure yttrium iron garnet at two wavelengths - 1.15 μm and 1.3 μm have been used. The increase in the Faraday rotation angle is caused by not only an increase of the magnetic layer thickness, but also a symmetrical increase in the number of Bragg mirrors periods.
1. Štefan, V., "Optics in magnetic multilayers and nanostructures," CRC, 2006.
2. Lyubchanskii, I. L., N. N. Dadoenkova, M. I. Lyubchanskii, E. A. Shapovalov, and T. Rasing, "Magnetic photonic crystals," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 165210, 2003.
3. Figotin, A. and I. Vitebskiy, "Electromagnetic unidirectionality in Electromagnetic unidirectionality in magnetic photonic crystals," Physical Review B, 165210, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.67.165210
4. Shaposhnikov, A. N., A. R. Prokopov, V. N. Berzhansky, T. V. Mikhailova, A. V. Karavainikov, M. F. Kharchenko, V. I. Belotelov, I. M. Lukienko, O. V. Miloslavskaya, and Yu M. Kharchenko, "Magnetooptics of single and microresonator iron-garnet films at low temperatures," Optical Materials, Vol. 52, 21-25, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.optmat.2015.12.005
5. Berzhansky, V. N., A. V. Karavainikov, T. V. Mikhailova, A. R. Prokopov, A. N. Shaposhnikov, M. F. Kharchenko, I. M. Lukienko, O. V. Miloslavskaya, and Yu M. Kharchenko, "Temperature dependence of faraday rotation in microcavity 1D-MPCS containing magneto-optical layers with a compensation temperature," Solid State Phenomena, Vol. 230, 247-252, Trans. Tech. Publ., 2015. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/SSP.230.247
6. Semuk, E. Yu., V. N. Berzhansky, A. R Prokopov, A. N. Shaposhnikov, A. V. Karavainikov, O. Yu. Salyuk, and V. O. Golub, "Magnetic properties of epitaxial bismuth ferrite-garnet mono- and bilayers," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 394, 92-95, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.jmmm.2015.06.047
7. Steel, M. J., M. Levy, and R. M. Osgood, "Photonic bandgaps with defects and Photonic bandgaps with defects and the enhancement of faraday rotation," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1297, 2000. doi:10.1109/50.871709
8. Steel, M. J., M. Levy, R. M. Osgood, and Jr., "High transmission enhanced high transmission enhanced faraday rotation in one-dimensional photonic crystals with defects," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 1171-1173, 2000. doi:10.1109/68.874225
9. Inoue, M., K. Arai, T. Fujii, and M. Abe, "Magneto-optical properties of one-dimensional photonic crystals composed of magnetic and dielectric layers," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 83, 6768-6770, 1998. doi:10.1063/1.367789
10. Shuvaev, A. M., G. V. Astakhov, A. Pimenov, C. Br¨une, H. Buhmann, and L. W. Molenkamp, "Giant magneto-optical faraday effect in hgte thin Giant magneto-optical faraday effect in hgte thin films in the terahertz spectral range," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 106, No. 10, 107404, 2011. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.106.107404
11. Kahl, S. and A. M. Grishin, "Enhanced faraday rotation in enhanced faraday rotation in all-garnet magneto-optical photonic crystal," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, No. 9, 1438-1440, 2004. doi:10.1063/1.1651324
12. Kamal, A. and A. Grishin, "Magneto-opto photonic crystal multiplayer structure having enhanced Faraday rotation with visible light,", US Patent 8,102,588, Jan. 24, 2012.
13. Boriskina, J. V., S. G. Erokhin, A. B. Granovsky, A. P. Vinogradov, and M. Inoue, "Enhancement of the magnetorefractive effect in magnetophotonic crystals," Physics of the Solid State, Vol. 48, No. 4, 717-721, 2006. doi:10.1134/S1063783406040160
14. Erokhin, S. G., A. P. Vinogradov, A. B. Granovsky, and M. Inoue, "Field distribution of a light wave near a magnetic defect in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Physics of the Solid State, Vol. 49, No. 3, 497-499, 2007. doi:10.1134/S1063783407030195
15. Eliseeva, S. V. and D. I. Sementsov, "Magneto-optical activity of a one-dimensional photonic crystal with a magnetic defect," Physics of the Solid State, Vol. 54, No. 10, 1981-1987, 2012. doi:10.1134/S1063783412100125
16. Eliseeva, S. V. and D. I. Sementsov, "Optical spectra of one-dimensional optical spectra of one-dimensional defect photonic crystals," Optics and Spectroscopy, Vol. 109, No. 5, 729-737, 2010. doi:10.1134/S0030400X10110123
17. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, 7th Ed., Cambridge University Press, Oct. 1999.