Aiming at problems that interpolated array has large amount of computation and high sensitivity to transformation angle and interpolated step, a new array extension algorithm which is symmetric extension steering vector is proposed. In this paper, two properties of the conjugate of received data and the source covariance matrix being a real diagonal matrix are exploited to extend the dimensions of the covariance matrix. However, the essence of this extension method is the symmetric extension of the steering vector. The high complexity and degradation of the performance of interpolated array beamforming caused by the sensitivity of angle and interpolated step are improved. Numerical simulations confirm the validity of the proposed algorithm. Compared with existing algorithms, the proposed algorithm is not affected by the angle range of transformation and interpolated step. Besides, the complexity of array extension using this proposed algorithm is much lower than the interpolated transformation method.
1. Guo, T., Y. Wang, and L. Zhang, "Coprime array as a new method of extended aperture," Ship Science and Technology, Vol. 38, No. 12, 135-137, 2016.
2. Friedlander, B., "Direction finding using an interpolated array," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 5, 2951-2954, 1990. doi:10.1109/ICASSP.1990.116245
3. Lee, T.-S. and T.-T. Lin, "Adaptive beamforming with interpolated arrays for multiple coherent interferers," Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 2, 177-194, 1997. doi:10.1016/S0165-1684(96)00194-6
4. Zhang, Y., et al., "Beamforming of coherent signals based on uniform circular array," Journal of Electronic Science and Technology, Vol. 36, No. 1, 20-23, 2007.
5. Yang, P., et al., "Robust adaptive beamformer using interpolated arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 215-228, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10061504
6. Li, W., et al., "Adaptive beamforming method for ARC length based virtual antenna array," IEEE Conference Publications, 135-139, 2011.
7. Friedlander, B. and J. Weissa, "Direction finding using spatial smoothing with interpolated arrays," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 28, No. 2, 574-587, 1992. doi:10.1109/7.144583
8. Pesavento, M., A. B. Gershman, and Z. Q. Luo, "Robust array interpolation using second-order cone programming," Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 9, No. 1, 8-11, 2002. doi:10.1109/97.988716
9. Hyberg, P., M. Jansson, and B. Ottersten, "Array mapping: optimal transformation matrix design," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 3, 2905-2908, 2002.
10. Hyberg, P., M. Jansson, and B. Ottersten, "Array interpolation and bias reduction," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2711-2720, 2004. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.834402
11. Tayem, N. and H. M. Kwon, "Conjugate ESPRIT (C-SPRIT)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2618-2624, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834385
12. Kikuchi, S., H. Tsuji, and A. Sano, "Pair-matching method for estimating 2-D angle of arrival with a cross-correlation matrix," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 35-40, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.863610
13. Gu, J.-F. and P. Wei, "Joint SVD of two cross-correlation matrices to achieve automatic pairing in 2-D angle estimation problems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 553-556, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.907913
14. Nie, X. and P. Wei, "Array aperture extension algorithm for 2-D DOA estimation with L-shaped array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 52, 63-69, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15011502
15. Dong, Y.-Y., C.-X. Dong, X. Jin, and G.-Q.- Zhao, "Computationally efficient 2-D DOA estimation for L-shaped array with automatic pairing," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1669-1672, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2521785
16. Li, J., D. Li, D. Jiang, and X. Zhang, "Extended-aperture unitary root MUSIC-based DOA estimation for coprime array," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 22, No. 4, 752-755, 2018. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2018.2802491
17. Dogan, M. C. and J. M. Mendel, "Application of cumulants to array processing - Part I: Aperture extension and array calibration," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 43, No. 5, 1200-1216, 1995. doi:10.1109/78.382404
18. Mainkar, P. M., G. N. Jagtap, and G. N. Mulay, "Analysis of minimum variance distortionless response and least mean square beamforming algorithm for smart antenna," 2016 International Conference on Internet of Things and Applications (IOTA), 213-216, 2016. doi:10.1109/IOTA.2016.7562724
19. Horowitz, L. L., et al., "Controlling adaptive antenna arrays with the sample matrix inversion algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 15, No. 6, 840-848, 1979. doi:10.1109/TAES.1979.308769
20. Capon, J., "High-resolution frequency-wavenumber spectrum analysis," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1408-1418, 1969. doi:10.1109/PROC.1969.7278