A high selectivity compact size coupled open-loop resonator (OLR-) band pass filter (BPF) in 0.18 μm TSMC Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) with low insertion (IL) is presented in this manuscript. First, shape optimization and folding are used to guarantee compact size. Then, high performance of the proposed BPF is obtained by virtually increasing the height of the oxide between the OLR's traces and their ground plane. This virtual increase in the oxide height is realized by etching large slot areas below each of the OLRs. Consequently, the traces are characterized by wider width which in return exhibit lower attenuation constant and hence lower IL. The simulated and measured responses have a very good agreement. The fabricated BPF shows an IL of 3.5 dB at 59 GHz with a return loss of 15 dB and a fractional bandwidth of 16.5%. The fabricated chip has an area of 378 × 430 μm2 including the measurements pads.
Ramesh K. Pokharel,
"Performance Enhancement of 60 GHz
CMOS Band Pass Filter Employing Oxide Height Virtual Increase," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 77, 125-134, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18101608
1. Daniels, R. C., R. W. Heath, and Jr., "60 GHz wireless communications: Emerging requirements and design recommendations," IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 3, 41-50, 2007. doi:10.1109/MVT.2008.915320
2. Rappaport, T. S., J. N. Murdock, and F. Gutierrez, "State of the art in 60-GHz integrated circuits and systems for wireless communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, 1390-1436, 2011. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2011.2143650
3. Chaturvedi, S., M. Bozanic, and S. Sinha, "Millimeter wave passive bandpass filters," Microwave Journal, Vol. 60, 2017.
4. Pokharel, R. K., X. Liu, R. Dong, A. Dayang, H. Kanaya, and K. Yoshida, "60 GHz-band low loss on-chip band pass filter with patterned ground shields for millimeter wave CMOS SoC," 2011 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1-4, 2011.
5. Franc, A. L., E. Pistono, D. Gloria, and P. Ferrari, "High-performance shielded coplanar waveguides for the design of CMOS 60-GHz bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 59, 1219-1226, 2012. doi:10.1109/TED.2012.2186301
6. Ma, K., S. Mou, and K. S. Yeo, "Miniaturized 60-GHz on-chip multimode quasi-elliptical bandpass filter," IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 34, 945-947, 2013. doi:10.1109/LED.2013.2265165
7. Yeh, L.-K., Y.-C. Chen, and H.-R. Chuang, "A novel ultra-compact and low-insertion-loss 77 GHz CMOS on-chip bandpass filter with adjustable transmission zeros," 2014 44th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1056-1059, 2014.
8. Barakat, A., R. Pokharel, and T. Kaho, "60 GHz on-chip mixed coupled BPF with H-shaped defected ground structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, 533-535, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.4465
9. Mahmoud, N., A. Barakat, A. B. Abdel-Rahman, A. Allam, and R. K. Pokharel, "Compact size on-chip 60 GHz H-shaped resonator BPF," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, 681-683, 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2597219
10. Barakat, A., N. Mahmoud, and R. K. Pokharel, "Low insertion loss 60 GHz CMOS H-shaped resonator BPF," 2017 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 187-189, 2017. doi:10.1109/RWS.2017.7885983
11. Barakat, A., M. Hanif, and R. K. Pokharel, "Miniaturized low loss 60 GHz CMOS mixed coupled BPF with patterned ground shield," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 697-699, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29650
12. Chen, Y.-M. and S.-F. Chang, "A ultra-compact 77-GHz CMOS bandpass filter using grounded pedestal stepped-impedance stubs," 2011 41st European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 194-197, 2011.
13. Zeng, J., X. Li, W. Feng, and H. Zhu, "An ultra-compact and low insertion loss 60 GHz CMOS on-chip bandpass filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, 3050-3053, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31403
14. Hong, J. and M. Lancaster, "Canonical microstrip filter using square open-loop resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, 2020-2022, 1995. doi:10.1049/el:19951370
15. Hong, J.-S. and M. Lancaster, "Microstrip cross-coupled trisection bandpass filters with asymmetric frequency characteristics," IEE Proceedings-Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 146, 84-90, 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990146
16. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Couplings of microstrip square open-loop resonators for cross-coupled planar microwave filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, 2099-2109, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.543968
17. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Design of highly selective microstrip bandpass filters with a single pair of attenuation poles at finite frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, 1098-1107, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.848492
18. Hong, J.-S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Vol. 167, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.
19. Nwajana, A. O. and K. S. K. Yeo, "Microwave diplexer purely based on direct synchronous and asynchronous coupling," Radioengineering, Vol. 25, 247-252, 2016. doi:10.13164/re.2016.0247
20. Hsieh, L.-H. and K. Chang, "Dual-mode quasi-elliptic-function bandpass filters using ring resonators with enhanced-coupling tuning stubs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, 1340-1345, 2002. doi:10.1109/22.999148
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., Wiley, 2011.