This paper proposes an approach for estimating the spatial and polarization angles of mixed-targets in bistatic MIMO radar. Mixed-targets mean the combination of uncorrelated, partially correlated, and groups of coherent targets. The approach resolves rank deficiency of received signal covariance matrix and then exploits the ESPRIT-based method for estimating the angles of direction-of-departure (DOD) and direction-of-arrival (DOA). This paper also presents an analytical review and necessary conditions for resolving the rank deficiency under various scenarios of the MIMO radar. Simulation results show the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
"Spatial and Polarization Angle Estimation of Mixed-Targets in MIMO Radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 82, 49-59, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19041705
1. Li, J. and P. Stoica, "MIMO radar with colocated antennas," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 24, No. 5, 106-114, 2007. doi:10.1109/MSP.2007.904812
2. Zhang, X., X. Gao, G. Feng, and D. Xu, "Blind joint DOA and DOD estimation and identifiability results for MIMO radar with different transmit/receive array manifolds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 101-119, 2009.
3. Chen, H. W., D. Yang, H. Q. Wang, X. Li, and Z. W. Zhuang, "Direction finding for bistatic MIMO radar using EM maximum likelihood algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 99-116, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13050102
4. Zheng, G. and B. Chen, "Unitary dual-resolution ESPRIT for joint DOD and DOA estimation in bistatic MIMO radar," Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 26, 159-178, 2015. doi:10.1007/s11045-013-0244-5
5. Jiang, H., J. K. Zhang, and K. M. Wong, "Joint DOD and DOA estimation for bistatic MIMO radar in unknown correlated noise," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 64, No. 11, 5113-5125, 2015. doi:10.1109/TVT.2014.2384495
6. Wena, F., X. Xiong, J. Su, and Z. Zhang, "Angle estimation for bistatic MIMO radar in the presence of spatial colored noise," Signal Processing, Vol. 134, 261-267, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2016.12.017
7. Chen, H., X. Zhang, Y. Bai, and J. Ma, "Direction finding for bistatic MIMO radar with non-circular sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 66, 173-182, 2018.
8. Zhang, W., W. Liu, J. Wang, and S. Wu, "Joint transmission and reception diversity smoothing for direction finding of coherent targets in MIMO radar," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 8, No. 1, 115-124, 2014. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2013.2285520
9. Srinivasarao, C. and P. Palanisamy, "DOD and DOA estimation using the spatial smoothing in MIMO radar with the EmV sensors," Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 29, No. 4, 1241-1253, 2018. doi:10.1007/s11045-017-0500-1
10. Chen, C. and X. Zhang, "A low-complexity joint 2D-DOD and 2D-DOA estimation algorithm for MIMO radar with arbitrary arrays," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 100, No. 10, 1455-1469, 2013. doi:10.1080/00207217.2012.743094
11. Xia, T.-Q., "Joint diagonalization based 2D-DOD and 2D-DOA estimation for bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 116, 7-12, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2015.04.014
12. Srinivasarao, C. and P. Palanisamy, "2D-DOD and 2D-DOA estimation using the electromagnetic vector sensors," Signal Processing, Vol. 147, 163-172, 2018.
13. Ye, Z., Y. Zhang, and C. Liu, "Direction-of-arrival estimation for uncorrelated and coherent signals with fewer sensors," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 3, 473-482, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2007.0361
14. Liu, F., J. Wang, C. Sun, and R. Du, "Spatial differencing method for DOA estimation under the coexistence of both uncorrelated and coherent signals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2052-2062, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186216
15. Qin, S., Y. D. Zhang, and M. G. Amin, "DOA estimation of mixed coherent and uncorrelated targets exploiting coprime MIMO radar," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 61, 26-34, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.dsp.2016.06.006
16. Shi, J., G. Hu, X. Zhang, and S. Jin, "Smoothing matrix set-based MIMO radar coherent source localisation," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 105, No. 8, 1345-1357, 2018. doi:10.1080/00207217.2018.1440433