The paper is devoted to an investigation of two-conductor suspended-substrate resonators. For the purpose of miniaturization conductors of a resonator are folded. Four types of the resonator differing in conductors' configurations were considered. Their Q0-factors and resonant frequencies were studied. Based on results of the study two types of the resonator appeared unsuitable for an application in compact filters. Two other types were investigated in concern of their interaction: dependencies of coupling coefficients versus space between resonators and ver-sus distance from substrate's surfaces, and package's covers were obtained. Based on the depen-dences a type of the resonator suitable for designing compact BPF was chosen. A four-pole BPF was simulated and fabricated. Good agreement between simulated and experimental results is observed. The main filter's characteristics are the next: substrate has ε = 80, thickness 0.5 mm, lateral sizes 0.13λg × 0.09λg (18.7 mm × 13.2 mm). The central frequency is 305 MHz; bandwidth is 39 MHz; passband minimum insertion loss is 2.0 dB; passband return loss is less -14.6 dB; -40 dB stop-band width is 480 MHz.
Alexey Mikhailovich Serzhantov,
Iliya Valerievich Govorun,
Aleksey Olegovich Afonin,
Andrey Vitalievich Ugryumov,
"Miniaturized Suspended-Substrate Two-Conductors Resonator and a Filter on Its Base," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 84, 127-135, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19060604
1. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
2. Cameron, R. J., C. M. Kudsia, and R. R. Mansour, Microwave Filters for Communication Systems, Wiley, New Jersey, 2007.
3. Belyaev, B. A., S. V. Butakov, N. L. Laletin, A. A. Leksikov, V. V. Tyurnev, and O. N. Chesnokov, "Selective properties of microstrip filters designed on quarter-wave codirectional hairpin resonators," Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 1, 2030, 2006. doi:10.1134/S1064226906010037
4. Belyaev, B. A., I. A. Dovbysh, A. A. Leksikov, and V. V. Tyurnev, "Frequency-selective properties of a microstrip filter with irregular dual-mode resonators," Journal of Communictions Technology and Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 6, 621-626, 2010. doi:10.1134/S1064226910060033
5. Russian patent 2237320, , published 2004.
6. Belyaev, B. A., A. A. Leksikov, V. V. Tyurnev, and A. V. Kazakov, "Strip-line filter with suspended substrate," 15-th Int. Crimean Conference ``Microwave & Telecommunication Technology'', Vol. 2, 506-507, Sevastopol, Ukraine, September 12-16, 2005.
7. Russian patent 2590313, , published 2016.
8. Leksikov, A. A., A. M. Serzhantov, I. V. Govorun, A. O. Afonin, A. V. Ugryumov, and A. A. Leksikov, "A method of stopband widening in BPF based on two-conductor suspended-substrate resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 72, 11-16, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL17102302
9. Russian patent 2626224, , published 2017.
10. Killamsetty, V. K. and B. Mukherjee, "Compact selective bandpass filter with wide stopband for TETRA band applications," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 8, No. 4, 653-659, 2018. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2803218
11. Killamsetty, V. K. and B. Mukherjee, "Compact wideband bandpass filter for TETRA band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 7, 630-632, July 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2711515
12. Zhang, Y. and K. A. Zaki, "LTCC multi-layer coupled strip-resonator filters," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1039-1042, Honolulu, HI, USA, June 3-8, 2007.
13. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Theory and experiment of novel microstrip slow-wave open-loop resonator filters," IEEE Trans. on MT & T, Vol. 45, No. 12, December 1997.
14. Belyaev, B. A., P. N. Sergienko, and Yu. G. Shikhov, "Influence of shielding on interaction between microstrip resonators," Proc. of 3rd Int. Symp. ``Application of the Conversion Research Results for International Cooperation'', Vol. 1, 137-139, Tomsk, 1999.