In this manuscript, the realization of penta-band notches with the aid of an ultra-wideband (UWB) multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna for diverse wireless applications is demonstrated. A single port UWB antenna is utilized to construct the proposed MIMO antenna, which comprises an altered patch loaded with three U-shape slots and an inverse U-shape slot on the feed line followed by a C-shape stub adjacent to the feed line. These slots and C-shape stub are liable to generate five notches at 3.4 GHz (3.16-3.67 GHz), 4 GHz (3.88-4.10 GHz), 4.6 GHz (4.56-4.75 GHz), 5.7 GHz (5.65-5.92 GHz), and 7.8 GHz (7.39-8.12 GHz), respectively. These notches depreciate interference from WiMAX, C-band, WLAN and X-band (satellite communication) frequencies. Alternatively, the reported antenna can also be utilized as a proximity radar (8-12 GHz) in X-band. The proposed antenna engraved on a Rogers RT/Duroid 5880 substrate having an overall size of 80 × 80 × 1.6 mm3 or 0.8λ0 × 0.8λ0 × 0.016λ0 (λ0 is the free-space wavelength at lowest frequency 3 GHz). Simulation and experimentation have been performed to corroborate the performance of the reported antenna. Results emphasize that the proposed MIMO antenna operates from 3 GHz to 14 GHz with measured peak gain 4.8 dBi, radiation efficiency above 82% and isolation less than -20 dB. Except at notches, the computed envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) is less than 0.03; diversity gain (DG) is approximately 10; total active reflection coefficient (TARC) is less than -10 dB; channel capacity loss (CCL) is less than 0.35 bps/Hz. These characteristics qualify it as a multifunctional antenna for wireless applications, lowering the antenna count needed in compact wireless devices.
Sadineni Ramesh Babu,
Puttaraje Gowda Dinesha,
"Design of Penta-Band Notched UWB MIMO Antenna for Diverse Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 107, 35-49, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21112602
1. Federal Communications Commission, "Revision of Part 15 of the Commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission system from 3.1 to 10.6 GHz,", ET-Docket, 98-153, Federal Communications Commission, Washington, DC, 2002.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Chapter 14, 811-872, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
3. Abbosh, M., "A design of a CPW-fed band-notched UWB antenna using a feeder embedded slot-line resonator," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, 1-5, 2008.
4. Lee, Y., D. Ga, and J. Choi, "Design of a MIMO antenna with improved isolation using MNG metamaterial," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 1-7, 2012.
5. Babu, K. J., R. W. Aldhaheri, M. Y. Talha, and I. S. Alruhaili, "Design of a compact two element MIMO antenna system with improved isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 48, 27-32, 2014.
6. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 4257-4264, 2013.
7. Khan, M. K., Q. Feng, and Z. Zheng, "Experimental investigation and design of UWB MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 107, 287-297, 2021.
8. Ali, W. A. E. and A. A. Ibrahim, "A compact double-sided MIMO antenna with an improved isolation for UWB applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 82, 7-13, 2017.
9. Zhu, J., S. Li, B. Feng, L. Deng, and S. Yin, "Compact dual-polarized UWB quasi-self-complementary MIMO/diversity antenna with band-rejection capability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 905-908, 2016.
10. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact Koch fractal UWB MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1565-1568, 2015.
11. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2799, 2018.
12. Biswal, S. P. and S. Das, "A low-profile dual port UWB-MIMO/diversity antenna with band rejection ability," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 1, 2017.
13. Nouri, A. and G. R. Dadaszadeh, "A compact UWB band-notched printed monopole antenna with defected ground structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1178-1182, 2011.
14. Chandel, R. and A. K. Gautam, "Compact MIMO/diversity slot antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 5, 336-338, 2016.
15. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. Kanaujia, J. Kishor, and N. Tewari, "Design of triple-band MIMO antenna with one band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 86, 41-53, 2018.
16. Jiang, W. and W. Che, "A novel UWB antenna with dual notched bands for WiMAX and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 293-296, 2012.
17. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, Z. H. Li, and X. X. Xia, "Compact dual band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4759-4766, 2013.
18. Li, Z., C. Yin, and X. Zhu, "Compact UWB MIMO Vivaldi antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 38696-38701, 2019.
19. Zhou, D., S. Gao, F. Zhu, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J.-D. Xu, "A simple and compact planar ultra wideband antenna with single OR dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 47-65, 2012.
20. Tang, Z., X. Wu, J. Zhan, S. Hu, Z. Xi, and Y. Liu, "Compact UWB-MIMO antenna with high isolation and triple band-notched characteristics,", Vol. 7, 19856-19865, 2019.
21. Yadav, D., M. P. Abegaonkar, S. K. Koul, V. N. Tiwari, and D. Bhatnagar, "Two element band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with high and uniform isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 63, 119-129, 2018.
22. Jaglan, N., S. D. Gupta, E. Thakur, D. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Srivastava, "Triple band notched mushroom and uniplanar EBG structures based UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with enhanced wide band isolation," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 90, 36-44, 2018.
23. Zarrabi, F. B., Z. Mansouri, N. P. Gandji, and H. Kuhestani, "Triple-notch UWB monopole antenna with fractal Koch and T-shaped stub," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, 64-69, 2016.
24. Srivastava, G., S. Dwari, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A compact triple band notch circular ring antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 3, 668-672, 2015.
25. Khandelwal, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, S. Kumar, and A. K. Gautam, "Triple band circularly polarized compact microstrip antenna with defected ground structure for wireless applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, 1-11, 2015.
26. Doddipalli, S. and A. Kothari, "Compact UWB antenna with integrated triple notch bands for WBAN applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 183-190, 2019.
27. Naktong, W. and A. Ruengwaree, "Four port rectangular monopole antenna for UWB-MIMO applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 87, 19-38, 2020.
28. Rahman, M., D.-S. Ko, and D. J. Park, "A compact multiple notched ultra-wide band antenna with an analysis of the CSRR-TO-CSRR coupling for portable UWB applications," Sensors, Vol. 17, 2174, 2017.
29. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Design and packaging of an eye-shaped multiple-input-multiple-output antenna with high isolation for wireless UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 8, No. 4, 635-642, 2018.
30. Khan, S. M., A. Iftikhar, S. M. Asif, A. D. Capobianco, and B. D. Braaten, "A compact four elements UWB MIMO antenna with on-demand WLAN rejection," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 2, 270-276, 2016.
31. Wu, W., B. Yuan, and A. Wu, "A quad-element UWB-MIMO antenna with band-notch and reduced mutual coupling based on EBG structures," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2018, 1-10, 2018.
32. Khan, M. S., B. D. Braaten, A. Iftikhar, A. D. Capobianco, B. Ijaz, and S. Asif, "Compact 4×4 UWB-MIMO antenna with WLAN band rejected operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, 1048-1050, 2015.
33. Wu, L., Y. Xia, X. Cao, and Z. Xu, "A miniaturized UWB-MIMO antenna with quadruple band-notched characteristics," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, 948-955, 2018.
34. Wu, L., Y. Xia, and X. Cao, "Design of compact quad-band notched UWB-MIMO antenna," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 98, 225-236, 2018.
35. Chen, Z., W. Zhou, and Z. Hong, "A miniaturized MIMO antenna with triple band-notched characteristics for UWB applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 63646-63655, 2021.
36. Modak, S. and T. Khan, "A slotted UWB-MIMO antenna with quadruple band-notch characteristics using mushroom EBG structure," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 134, 1-6, 2021.
37. Kumar, A., Q. A. Ansari, K. B. Kanaujia, J. Kishor, and S. Kumar, "An ultra compact two-port UWB MIMO antenna with dual band notched characteristics," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 114, 1-12, 2020.
38. Kadam, A. A. and A. A. Deshmukh, "Pentagonal shaped UWB antenna loaded with slot and EBG structure for dual band notched response," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 95, 165-176, 2020.
39. Kumar, P., S. Urooj, and F. Alrowais, "Design of quad-port MIMO/diversity antenna with triple-band elimination characteristics for super-wideband applications," Sensors, Vol. 20, 1-12, 2020.
40. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, and J. Kishor, "High isolation compact four-port MIMO antenna loaded with CSRR for multiband applications," Frequenz, Vol. 72, No. 9-10, 415-427, 2018.