Within the framework of the first-order small perturbation method, we derive the statistics of the layered rough surface index and the normalized difference polarization index for three-dimensional layered structure with slightly rough interfaces illuminated by a monochromatic plane wave and for multilook returns. We establish closed-form expressions for the probability density function and the cumulative distribution function. The first- and second-order moments are given by relation recurrences. We validate from Monte Carlo simulations the obtained theoretical formulas.
1. Kong, J. A., A. A. Swartz, H. A. Yueh, L. M. Novak, and R. T. Shin, "Identification of terrain cover using the optimum polarimetric classifier," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 8, No. 2, 171-194, 1988.
2. Lee, J. S., K. W. Hoppel, S. A. Mango, and A. R. Miller, "Intensity and phase statistics of multilook polarimetric and interferometric SAR imagery," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 32, No. 5, 1017-1028, Sep. 1994. doi:10.1109/36.312890
3. Joughin, I. R., D. P. Winebrenner, and D. B. Percival, "Probability density functions for multilook polarimetric signatures," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 32, No. 3, 562-574, May 1994. doi:10.1109/36.297975
4. Afifi, S. and R. Dusséaux, "On the co-polarized scattered intensity ratio of rough layered surfaces: The probability law derived from the small perturbation method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 2133-2138, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186258
5. Afifi, S. and R. Dusséaux, "The co- and cross-polarized scattered intensity ratios for 3D layered structures with randomly rough interfaces," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 7, 811-826, 2019. doi:10.1080/09205071.2018.1523027
6. Dusséaux, R. and S. Afifi, "Multilook intensity ratio distribution for 3D-layered structures with slightly rough interfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 7, 5575-5582, Jun. 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.2979275
7. Tabatabaeenejad, A. and M. Moghaddam, "Bistatic scattering from three-dimensional layered rough surfaces," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 44, No. 8, 2102-2114, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2006.872140
8. Imperatore, P., A. Iodice, and D. Riccio, "Electromagnetic wave scattering from layered structures with an arbitrary number of rough interfaces," IEEE Trans. Geosc. Remote Sens., Vol. 47, No. 4, 1056-1072, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.2007804
9. Lin, Z. W., X. J. Zhang, and G. Y. Fang, "Theoretical model of electromagnetic scattering from 3D multi-layer dielectric media with slightly rough surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 37-62, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09061102
10. Berrouk, A., R. Dusséaux, and S. Afifi, "Electromagnetic wave scattering from rough layered interfaces: Analysis with the small perturbation method and the small slope approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 57, 177-190, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB13101802
11. Afifi, S., Dusséaux, and A. Berrouk, "Electromagnetic wave scattering from 3D layered structures with randomly rough interfaces: Analysis with the small perturbation method and the small slope approximation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 10, 5200-5208, Oct. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2341704
12. Djedouani, N., S. Afifi, and R. Dusséaux, "Inversion of electrical and geometrical parameters of a stratified mediumfrom data derived from the Small Perturbation Method and the Small Slope Approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 94, 19-36, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERB21071305
13. Mishra, P. and D. Singh, "Role of polarimetric indices based on statistical measures to identify various land cover classes in ALOS PALSAR data," Proc. APSAR, 1-4, Seoul, South Korea, Sep. 2011.
14. Mishra, P. and D. Singh, "A statistical-measure-based adaptive land cover classification algorithm by efficient utilization of polarimetric SAR observables," IEEE Trans. Geosc. Remote Sens., Vol. 52, No. 5, 2889-2900, Oct. 2014. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2013.2267548
15. Afifi, S. and R. Dusséaux, "Statistical distribution of the Normalized Difference Polarization Index for 3D layered structures with slightly rough interfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 6, 4291-4295, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2905930
16. Dusséaux, R. and S. Afifi, "Statistical distribution of the Layered Rough Surface Index (LRSI)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 94, 75-87, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19032203
17. Elfouhaily, T. M. and C. A. Guérin, "A critical survey of approximate scattering wave theories from random rough surfaces," Waves Random Media, Vol. 14, R1-R40, 2004. doi:10.1088/0959-7174/14/4/R01
18. Tabatabaeenejad, A. and M. Moghaddam, "Study of validity region of small perturbation method for two-layer rough surfaces," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 2, 319-323, Feb. 2010. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2009.2034543
19. Zribi, M., O. Taconet, S. Le Hégarat-Mascle, D. Vidal-Madjar, C. Emblanch, C. Loumagne, and M. Normand, "Backscattering behavior and simulation comparison over bare soils using SIR-C/X-SAR and ERASME 1994 data over Orgeval," Remote Sens. Env., Vol. 59, No. 2, 256-266, 1997. doi:10.1016/S0034-4257(96)00158-7
20. Boisvert, J. B., Q. H. J. Gwyn, A. Chanzy, D. J. Major, B. Brisco, and R. J. Brown, "Effect of surface soil moisture gradients on modelling radar backscattering from bare fields," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 18, No. 1, 153-170, 1997. doi:10.1080/014311697219330
21. Zribi, M., M. Sahnoun, N. Baghdad, T. Le Toan, and A. Ben Hamida, "Analysis of the relationship between backscattered P-band radar signals and soil roughness," Remote Sens. Env., Vol. 181, 13-21, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.rse.2016.08.006
22. Tsang, L., J. A. Kong, K. H. Ding, and C. O. Ao, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves --- Numerical Simulations, Wiley, New-York, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471224308
23. Dusséaux, R., E. Vannier, O. Taconet, and G. Granet, "Study of backscatter signature for seedbed surface evolution under rainfall --- Influence of radar precision," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 415-437, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11102807
24. Vannier, E., O. Taconet, R. Dusséaux, and O. C. Chiadjeu, "Statistical characterization of bare soil surface microrelief," Adv. Geosci. Remote Sens., 207-228, 2014.
25. Abdi, A., H. Hashemi, and S. Nader-Esfahani, "On the PDF of the sum of random vectors," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 48, No. 1, 7-12, Jan. 2000. doi:10.1109/26.818866
26. Jakeman, E. and K. D. Ridley, Modeling Fluctuations in Scattered Waves, Taylor and Francis, New York, 2006. doi:10.1201/9781420012163
27. Bourlier, C., N. Pinel, and G. Kubické, Method of Moments for 2D Scattering Problems: Basic Concepts and Applications, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2013. doi:10.1002/9781118648674