This study employed water transparent characteristics from the Gulf and archipelago of Finland and the corresponding data sets of optical sensors at the green wavelength band to estimate Secchi disk depth (SDD). The SDD is one major optical measurement of water transparency in the study area,where the coastal waters are dominated by absorption from both dissolved and particulate organic matter since the Gulf is optically dominated by scattering from suspended sediments. Concurrent in situ measurements,Landsat TM and simulated SeaWiFS data were obtained in August 1997. The results show that the SDD from the narrow green bandwidth (20 nm) data of simulated SeaWiFS is slightly better than the SDD from the broad green bandwidth (80 nm) data of TM using the semi-empirical algorithm developed in the study. The study of water transparent characteristics in the area still needs to be further investigated using SeaWiFS,MODIS and MERIS in the future.
2. Moore, G. K., "Satellite remote sensing of water quality," Hydrol. Sci., Vol. 25, 407-421, 1980.
3. Austin, R. W. and T. J. Petzold, "Water color measurements," Oceanography from Space, J. F. R. Gover (ed.), 239–256, New York, 1981.
4. Gordon, H. R. and A. Y. Morel, Remote Assessment of Ocean Color for Interpretation of Satellite Imagery — A Review, Spring- Verlag, New York, 1983.
5. Ferrari, G. M., N. Hoepffner, and M. Mingazzini, "Optical properties of the water in a deltaic environment: prospective tool to analyze satellite data in turbid waters," Remote Sens. Environ., Vol. 58, 69-80, 1996.
6. Carlson, R. E., "A trophic state index for lakes," Limnol. Oceanogr., Vol. 22, 361-369, 1977.
7. Carpenter, D. S. and S. M. Carpenter, "Monitoring inland water quality using Landsat data," Remote Sens. Environ., Vol. 13, 345-352, 1983.
8. Tassan, S., "Evaluation of the potential of the Thematic Mapper for marine application," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 8, 1455-1478, 1987.
9. Doerffer, R., J. Fischer, M. Stossel, and C. Brockmann, "Analysis of Thematic Mapper data for studying the suspended matter distribution in the coastal area of the Germany Bight (North Sea)," Remote Sens. Environ., Vol. 28, 61-73, 1989.
10. Harrington, Jr., J. A. and F. R. Schiebe, "Remote sensing of Lake Chicot,Ark ansas: monitoring suspended sediments,turbidit y,and secchi depth with Landsat MSS data," Remote Sens. Environ., Vol. 39, 15-27, 1992.
11. Lindell, T., D. Pierson, G. Premazzi, and E. Zilioli, Manual for Monitoring European Lakes Using Remote Sensing Techniques, (Luxembourg: Official Publications of the European Communities), EUR 18665 EN, 1999.
12. McClain, C. R., M. L. Cleave, G. C. Feldman, W. W. Gregg, and S. B. Hooker, "Science quality SeaWiFS data for global biosphere research," Sea Tech., Vol. 39, 10-16, 1998.
13. Schiller, H. and R. Doerffer, "Neural network for emulation of an inverse model-operational derivation of Case II water properties from MERIS data," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 20, 1735-1746, 1999.
14. Woodruff, D. L., R. P. Stumpf, J. A. Scope, and H. W. Paerl, "Remote estimation of water clarity in optically complex estuarine waters," Remote Sens. Environ., Vol. 68, 41-52, 1999.
15. Ruddick, K. G., F. Ovidio, and M. Rijkeboer, "tmospheric correction of SeaWiFS imagery for turbid coastal and inland waters," Appl. Opt., Vol. 39, 897-912, 2000.
16. Schiebe, F. R., J. A. Harrington, and C. B. Ritchie, "Remote sensing of suspended sediments: the Lake Chicot,Ark ansas project," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 13, 1487-1509, 1992.
17. Lathrop, R. G., T. M. Lillesand, and B. S. Yandell, "Testing the utility simple multi-date Thematic Mapper calibration algorithms for monitoring turbid inland waters," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 12, 2045-2063, 1991.
18. Mausel, P. W., M. A. Karakaka, C. Y. Mao, D. E. Escobar, and J. H. Everitt, "Insigh ts into secchi transparency through computer analysis of aerial multispectral video data," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 12, 2485-2492, 1991.
19. Dekker, A. G. and S. W. M. Peters, "The use of the Thematic Mapper for the analysis of eutrophic lakes: a case study in the Netherlands," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 14, 799-821, 1993.
20. Lavery, P., C. Pattiaratchi, A. Wyllie, and P. Hick, "Water quality monitoring in estuarine water using the Landsat Thematic Mapper," Remote Sens. Environ., Vol. 46, 268-280, 1993.
21. Mulhearn, P. J., "Landsat reflectivities versus secchi disc depths," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 16, 257-268, 1995.
22. Lindell, L. T., O. S. M. Jonsson, and T. H. Claesson, "Mapping of coastal water turbidity using Landsat imagery," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 6, 643-656, 1985.
23. Eloheimo, K., T. Hannonen, P . Harma, T. Pyhalahti, S. Koponen, J. Pulliainen, and H. Servomaa, "Coastal monitoring using satellite,airb orne and in situ data in the archipelago of Baltic Sea," Proceed. 5th Int. Conference Remote Sens. Marine and Coastal Environ., San Diego, USA, Oct. 5–7, 1998.
24. Hallikainen, M., "Development of sensors and methods for remote sensing of northern areas by HUT laboratory of space technology," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Newsletter, ISSN 0161-7869, Vol. 107, 10–11, Dec. 1999.
25. Pulliainen, J., et al., "A semi-operational approach to water quality retrieval from remote sensing data," The Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 268, 79-93, 2001.
26. Koponen, S., et al., "Analysis on the feasibility of multisource remote sensing observations for chl-a monitoring in Finnish lakes," The Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 268, 95-106, 2001.
27. Kuusisto, M., J. Koponen, and J. Sarkkula, "Modelled phytoplankton dynamics in the Gulf of Finland," Enviorn. Modelling and Software, Vol. 13, 461-470, 1998.
28. Chavez, P. S. Jr., "An improved dark-object subtraction technique for atmospheric scattering correction of multispectral data," Remote Sens. Environ., Vol. 24, 459-479, 1988.
29. Gilabert, M. A., C. Conese, and F. Maselli, "An atmospheric correction method for the automatic retrieval of surface reflectances from TM images," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 15, 2065-2086, 1994.
30. Zhang, Y., J. Pulliainen, S. Koponen, and M. Hallikainen, "Applicability of combined microwave and optical data for surface water quality retrievals," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 16, 249-251, 2002.
31. Zhang, Y., J. Pulliainen, S. Koponen, and M. Hallikainen, "Application of an empirical neural network to surface water quality estimation in the Gulf of Finland using combined optical and microwave data," Remote Sens. Environ., Vol. 81, 327-336, 2002.
32. Makisara, K., M. Meinander, M. Rantasuo, J. Okkonen, M. Aikio, K. Sipola, P. Pylkko, and B. Braam, "Airborne imaging spectrometer for applications (AISA)," Digest of IGARSS’93, Vol. 2, 479-481, Tokyo, Japan.
33. Hojerslev, N. K., "Optical properties of sea water," Oceanography, Subvolume a of Landbolt-Bornstein Numerical Data and Functional Relationships in Science and Technology, Group V Geophysics and Space Research, J. Sundermana (ed.), Vol. 3, Section 3.3, Spring-V erlag, London, 1986.
34. Phillips, D. M. and J. T. O. Kirk, "Study of the spectral variation of absorption and scattering in some Australia coastal waters," Australia J. Marine and Freshwater Res., Vol. 34, 635-644, 1984.
35. Jerlov, N. G., Marine Optics, Elservier, Amsterdam, 1976.
36. Shifrin, K. S., Physical Optics of Ocean Water, American Institute of Physics, New York, 1988.
37. Mankovskiy, V. I., "Spectral variability of the coefficient of asymmetry of the light scattering function by sea water," Oceanology, Vol. 24, 46-51, 1984.
38. Zhang, Y., S. Koponen, J. Pulliainen, and M. Hallikainen, "Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM) data analysis for chlorophylla and turbidity in Finland Gulf," URSI/Remote Sensing Club of Finland/IEEE XXIII Convention on Radio Science and Remote Sensing Symposium, 69-70, Finland, August 24–25, 1998.
39. Zhang, Y., S. Koponen, J. Pulliainen, and M. Hallikainen, "Turbidity and Secchi disk depth analysis derived from Landsat Thematic Mapper data combined with ERS-2 data in the Gulf of Finland," The 2nd Int. Symposium Operationalization of Remote Sensing, ITC, The Netherlands, August 16–20, 1999 (CD ROM).