Integral equation formulation and magnetic potential Green's dyadics for multilayered rectangular waveguide are presented for modeling interacting printed antenna arrays used in waveguidebased spatial power combiners. Dyadic Green's functions are obtained as a partial eigenfunction expansion in the form of a double series over the complete system of eigenfunctions of transverse Laplacian operator. In this expansion, one-dimensional characteristic Green's functions along a multilayered waveguide are derived in closed form as the solution of a Sturm-Liouville boundary value problem with appropriate boundary and continuity conditions. A method introduced here is based on the transmission matrix approach, wherein the amplitude coefficients of forward and backward traveling waves in the scattered Green's function in different dielectric layers are obtained as a product of transmission matrices of corresponding layers. Convergence of Green's function components in the source region is illustrated for a specific example of a two-layered, terminated rectangular waveguide.
"Magnetic Potential Green's Dyadics of Multilayered Waveguide for Spatial Power Combining Applications," ,
Vol. 38, 125-146, 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER02080103
1. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, IEEE Press, New Jersey, 1991.
2. Tai, C. T., Dyadic Green’s Functions in Electromagnetic Theory, IEEE Press, New Jersey, 1993.
3. Li, L. W., P. S. Kooi, M. S. Leong, T. S. Yeo, and S. L. Ho, "On the eigenfunction expansion of electromagnetic dyadic Green’s functions in rectangular cavities and waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 700-702, March 1995. doi:10.1109/22.372122
4. Tai, C. T. and P. Rozenfeld, "Different representations of dyadic Green’s functions for a rectangular cavity," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 24, 597-601, Sept. 1976. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1976.1128914
5. Wu, D. I. and D. C. Chang, "Hybrid representation of the Green’s function in an overmoded rectangular cavity," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 36, 1334-1342, Sept. 1988. doi:10.1109/22.3680
6. Jin, H. and W. Lin, "Dyadic Green’s functions for a rectangular waveguide with an E-plane dielectric slab," IEE Proc, Microwaves, Ant and Propagat., Vol. 137, 231-234, Aug. 1990. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1990.0045
7. Fang, D. G., F. Ling, and Y. Long, "Rectangular waveguide Green’s function involving complex images," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 1045-1048, June 1995.
8. Gentili, G. G., L. E. G. Castillo, M. S. Palma, and F. P. Martinez, "Green’s function analysis of single and stacked rectangular microstrip patch antennas enclosed in a cavity," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 45, 573-579, Apr. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.564082
9. Park, M. J. and S. Nam, "Rapid summation of the Green’s function for the rectangular waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, 2164-2166, Dec. 1998. doi:10.1109/22.739301
10. Marliani, F. and A. Ciccolella, "Computationally efficient expressions of the dyadic Green’s function for rectangular enclosures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, 1635-1636, 2000. doi:10.1163/156939300X00428
11. Jin, H., W. Lin, and Y. Lin, "Dyadic Green’s functions for rectangular waveguide filled with longitudinally multilayered isotropic dielectric and their application," IEE Proceedings: Microwaves, Ant. and Prop., Vol. 141, No. 6, 504-508, Dec. 1994. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19941403
12. Li, L. W., P. S. Kooi, M. S. Leong, T. S. Yeo, and S. L. Ho, "Input impedance of a probe-excited semi-infinite rectangular waveguide with arbitrary multilayered loads: part I --- dyadic Green’s functions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 1559-1566, July 1995.
13. Felsen, L. B. and N. Marcuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves, IEEE Press, New Jersey, 1994. doi:10.1109/9780470546307
14. Yakovlev, A. B., S. Ortiz, M. Ozkar, A. Mortazawi, and M. B. Steer, "Electric dyadic Green’s functions for modeling resonance and coupling effects in waveguide-based aperturecoupled patch arrays," ACES Journal, Vol. 17, No. 2, 123-133, July 2002.
15. Yakovlev, A. B., A. I. Khalil, C. W. Hicks, A. Mortazawi, and M. B. Steer, "The generalized scattering matrix of closely spaced strip and slot layers in waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, 126-137, Jan. 2000. doi:10.1109/22.817481
16. Yakovlev, A. B., S. Ortiz, M. Ozkar, A. Mortazawi, and M. B. Steer, "A waveguide-based aperture-coupled patch amplifier array: Full-wave system analysis and experimental validation," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theo. Tech., Vol. 48, 2692-2699, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.899032
17. Huang, C. P., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Analysis and design of tapered meander line antennas for mobile communications," ACES Journal, Vol. 15, No. 3, 159-166, 2000.
18. Huang, C. P., J. B. Chen, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "FDTD characterization of meander line antennas for RF and wireless communications," Eelectromagnetic Wave Monograph Series, Progress in Electromagnetic Research (PIER 24), Vol. 24, Ch. 9, 257–277, 1999.
19. Hanson, G. W. and A. B. Yakovlev, Operator Theory for Electromagnetics: An Introduction, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, Oct. 2001.