Ray tracing is of great use for computational electromagnetics, such as the well-known shooting and bouncing ray (SBR) method. In this paper, the kd-tree data structure, coupled with the mailbox technique, is proposed to accelerate the ray tracing in the SBR. The kd-tree is highly effective in handling the irregularly distribution of patches of the target, while the repeatedly intersection tests between the ray and the patch when using space division acceleration structures can be eliminated through the mailbox technique. Numerical results show excellent agreement with the measured data and the exact solution, and demonstrate that the kd-tree as well as the mailbox technique can greatly reduce the computation time.
Yu Bo Tao,
"Kd-Tree Based Fast Ray Tracing for RCS Prediction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 81, 329-341, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011305
1. Fugen, T., J. Maurer, T. Kayser, and W. Wiesbeck, "Capability of 3-D ray tracing for defining parameter sets for the specification of future mobile communications systems," IEEE Transaction on Antena and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3125-3137, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.883988
2. Wang, S., H. B. Lim, and E. P. Li, "An efficient ray-tracing method for analysis and design of electromagnetic shielded room systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 19, No. 15, 2059-2071, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775570503
3. Chen, C. H., C. L. Liu, C. C. Chiu, and T. M. Hu, "Ultrawide band channel calculation by SBR/Image techniques for indoor communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 1, 41-51, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777387
4. Teh, C. H., F. Kung, and H. T. Chuah, "A path-corrected wall model for ray-tracing propagation modeling," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 2, 207-214, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777288
5. Mphale, K. and M. Heron, "Ray tracing radio waves in wildfire envionment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 153-172, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06082302
6. Martini, A., L. Marchi, M. Franceschetti, and A. Massa, "Stochastic ray propagation in stratified random lattices — comparative assessment of two mathematical approaches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 159-172, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022002
7. Cocheril, Y. and R. Vauzelle, "A new ray-tracing based wave propagation model including rough surfaces scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 357-381, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061202
8. Weinmann, F., "Ray tracing with PO/PTD for RCS modeling of large complex objects," IEEE Transaction on Antena and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1797-1806, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.875910
9. Ling, H., R. C. Chou, and S. W. Lee, "Shooting and bouncing rays: calculating the RCS of an arbitrarily shaped cavity," IEEE Transaction on Antena and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 2, 194-205, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.18706
10. Baldauf, J., S. W. Lee, L. Lin, S. K. Jeng, S. M. Scarborough, and C. L. Yu, "High frequency scattering from trihedral corner reflectors and other benchmark targets: SBR vs. experiments," IEEE Transaction on Antena and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 9, 1345-1351, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.99043
11. Chen, M., Y. Zhang, and C. H. Liang, "Calculation of the field distribution near electrically large NURBS surfaces with physical optics method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 19, No. 11, 1511-1524, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775701886
12. Zhang, P. F. and S. X. Gong, "Improvement on the forwardbackward iterative physical optics algorithm applied to compute the RCS of large open-ended cavities," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 4, 457-469, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367297
13. Zhong, X. J., T. J. Cui, Z. Li, Y. B. Tao, and H. Lin, "Terahertz-wave scattering by perfectly electrical conducting objects," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2331-2340, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134443
14. Suk, S. H., T. I. Seo, H. S. Park, and H. T. Kim, "Multiresolution grid algorithm in the SBR and its application to the RCS calculation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 29, No. 6, 394-397, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1188
15. Bang, J. K., B. C. Kim, S. H. Suk, K. S. Jin, and H. T. Kim, "Time consumption reduction of ray tracing for RCS prediction using efficient grid division and space division algorithms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 6, 829-840, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780749129
16. Jin, K. S., T. I. Suh, S. H. Suk, B. C. Kim, and H. T. Kim, "Fast ray tracing using a space-division algorithm for RCS prediction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 1, 119-126, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777341
17. Havran, V., "Heuristic ray shooting algorithms," Ph.D. thesis, 2000.
18. Kirk, D. and J. Arvo, "Improved ray tagging for voxel-based ray tracing," Graphics Gems II, 264-266, 1991.
19. Pharr, M. and G. Humphreys, Physically Based Rendering: From Theory to Implementation, Morgan Kaufmann, Har/Cdr edition, 2004.
20. Macdonald, J. D. and K. S. Booth, "Heuristics for ray tracing using space subdivision," In Proceedings of Graphics Interface, 152-163, 1989.