This paper suggests a pilot-less residual carrier frequency offset (CFO) estimator for ultra-wideband orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (UWB-OFDM) systems. The basic idea of our approach is based on the fact that two adjacent OFDM symbols carry the identical information in the UWB-OFDM system, thus removing the need of pilot symbols. To demonstrate the efficiency of the proposed pilot-less CFO estimator, analytical expression of the mean square error (MSE) is reported and comparisons are made with the conventional pilot-aided CFO estimator in terms of MSE and throughput.
2. Soliman, M. S., T. Morimoto, and Z. I. Kawasaki, "Three-dimensional localization system for impulsive noise sources using ultra-wideband digital interferometer technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 515-530, 2006.
3. Chen, C.-H., C.-H. Liu, C.-C. Chiu, and T.-M. Hu, "Ultrawide band channel caculation by SBR/IMAG techniques for indoor communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 41-51, 2006.
4. Liu, Y. J., Y. R. Zhang, and W. Cao, "A novel approach to the refraction propagation characteristics of UWB signal waveforms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1939-1950, 2007.
5. ECMA International, High rate ultra wideband PHY and MAC standard, Standard ECMA-368, 2007.
6. WiMedia Alliance, Presentation to DLNA, 2007.
7. Xiao, S., J. Chen, X.-F. Liu, and B.-Z. Wang, "Spatial focusing characteristics of time reversal UWB pulse transmission with different antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 223-232, 2008.
8. El-Fishawy, N., M. Shokair, and W. Saad, "Proposed MAC protocol versus IEEE802.15.3a for multimedia transmission over UWB networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 189-206, 2008.
9. Khani, H. and P. Azmi, "Performance analysis of a high data rate UWB-DTR system in dense multipath channels," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 119-131, 2008.
10. Yin, X.-C., C. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," PIER Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
11. Cui, W., P. Ranta, T. Brown, and C. Reed, "Wireless video streaming over UWB," Proc. of ICUWB 2007, 933-936, 2007.
12. Kim, J., S. Lee, Y. Jeon, and S. Choi, "Residential HDTV distribution system using UWB and IEEE 1394," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 1, 116-122, 2006.
13. Yak, C., Z. Lei, S. Chattong, and T. Tjhung, "Timing synchronization and frequency offset estimation for Ultra-Wideband (UWB) multi-band OFDM systems," Proc. of PIMRC 2005, 471-475, 2005.
14. Yinghui, L., T. Jacobs, and H. Minn, "Frequency offset estimation for MB-OFDM-based UWB systems," Proc. of ICC 2006, 4729-4734, 2006.
15. Wang, X., T. T. Tjhung, Y.Wu, and B. Caron, "SER performance evaluation and optimization of OFDM system with residual frequency and timing offsets from imperfect synchronization," IEEE Trans. Broadcasting, Vol. 49, No. 2, 170-177, 2003.
16. Ai, B., Z.-X. Yang, C.-Y. Pan, J.-H. Ge, Y. Wang, and Z. Lu, "On the synchronization techniques for wireless OFDM systems," IEEE Trans. Broadcasting, Vol. 52, No. 2, 236-244, 2006.
17. Shim, E. S. and Y. H. You, "Parameter estimation and error reduction in multicarrier systems by time-domain spreading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 1-12, 2008.
18. Speth, M., S. A. Fechtel, G. Fock, and H. Meyr, "Optimum receiver design for OFDM based broadband transmission --- Part II," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 49, 571-578, 2001.
19. Shi, K., E. Serpedin, and P. Ciblat, "Decision-directed fine synchronization for OFDM systems," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 53, 408-412, 2005.
20. Chih-Peng, L., C. Po-Lin, and L. Tsui-Tsai, "Residual carrier frequency offset tracking for OFDM-based systems," Proc. of APCCAS 2004, 989-992, 2004.
21. Speth, M., S. A. Fechtel, G. Fock, and H. Meyr, "Optimum receiver design for wireless broad-band systems using OFDM --- Part I," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 47, 1668-1677, 1999.
22. Foerster, J., Channel Modeling Sub-committee Report, IEEE, 802.15-02/490r1-SG3a, 2003.
23. Baek, M. S., M. J. Kim, Y. H. You, and H. K. Song, "Semi-blind channel estimation and PAR reduction for MIMO-OFDM system with multiple antennas," IEEE Trans. on Broadcasting, Vol. 50, No. 4, 414-424, 2004.
24. Koo, B. W., M. S. Baek, and H. K. Song, "Multiple antenna transmission technique for UWB system," PIER Letters, Vol. 2, 177-185, 2008.