This paper presents the design and construction of an advanced wideband, automated radar system. With the aid of Vector Network Analyzer (VNA), a wideband ground-based system can be achieved with proper Radio Frequency (RF) circuitry integration. The RF circuitry is designed specifically to configure the proposed system to be able to measure full linear polarimetric scattering matrices of the area of in terest. Besides, quasi-monostatic horn antenna configuration is chosen to transmit and receive the electromagnetic wave. The goal of this paper is to demonstrate the real and synthetic aperture capabilities of the system in outdoor measurement with the microwave frequency range from 2 to 7 GHz. Coupled with the integration of the Automatic Antenna Positioning System (AAPS), the constructed system is able to perform real and synthetic aperture radar measurements. A series of measurement was done on real aperture radar measurement using point target for validity purpose. The overall results show good agreement with the theoretical values. On the other hand, the proposed system is capable to performing a radar imaging measurement. A preliminary analysis is done on a 45 days old rice field. A three dimensional (3-D) radar image has also been constructed successfully with Range Migration Technique (RMA). The result shows good potential ofthe system in constructing radar imaging ofnatural target.
2. Alejandro, M., I. Chenerie, F. Baup, E. Mougin, and K. Sarabandi, "Angular normalization of ENVISAT ASAR data over Sahelian grassland using a coherent scattering model," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 94-98, 2006.
3. Koay, J. Y., C. P. Tan, K. S. Lim, S. Bahari, H. T. Ewe, H. T. Chuah, and J. A. Kong, "Paddy fields as electrically dense media: Theoretical modeling and measurement comparisons," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 9, 2837-2849, 2007.
4. Koay, J.-Y., C. P. Tan, S. Bahari, H.-T. Ewe, and H.-T. Chuah, "Theoretical modeling and measurement comparison of season-long rice field monitoring," PIERS Online, Vol. 1, No. 1, 25-28, 2005.
5. Lim, K.-S., C.-P. Tan, J.-Y. Koay, V. C. Koo, H.-T. Ewe, Y.-C. Lo, and A. Ali, "Multitemporal C-band radar measurement on rice fields," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 1, 44-47, 2007.
6. Tan, C.-P., J.-Y. Koay, K.-S. Lim, H.-T. Ewe, and H.-T. Chuah, "Classification of multi-temporal SAR images for rice crops using combined entropy decomposition and support vector machine technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 19-39, 2007.
7. Paris, J. F., "Active microwave properties of vegetation," Fund. Remote Sensing Sci. Res. Program, 1985 Summary Report of the Scene Radiation and Atmos. Effects Characterization Project, D. Deering (ed.), 148-154, NASA TM 86234, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 1985.
8. Boyarskii, D. A., V. V. Tikhonov, and N. Yu. Komarova, "Model of dielectric constant of bound water in soil for applications of microwave remote sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 251-269, 2002.
9. Nghiem, S. V., M. Borgeaud, J. A. Kong, and R. T. Shin, "Polarimetric remote sensing of geophysical media with layer random medium model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 3, 1-73, 1990.
10. Shin, R. T. and J. A. Kong, "Radiative transfer theory for active remote sensing of two-layer random medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 1, 359-417, 1989.
11. De Badereau, D., H. Roussel, and W. Tabbara, "Radar remote sensing of forest at low frequencies: A two dimensional full wave approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 6, 921-949, 2003.
12. Angot, L., H. Roussel, and W. Tabbara, "A full wave three dimensional analysis of forest remote sensing using VHF electromagnetic wave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 38, 311-331, 2002.
13. Lopez-Sanchez, J. M., J. Fortuny-Guasch, S. R. Cloude, and A. J. Sieber, "Indoor polarimetric radar measurements on vegetation samples at L, S, C and X band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, No. 2, 205-231, 2000.
14. Koo, V. C., Y. K. Chan, G. Vetharatnam, T. S. Lim, B.-K. Chung, and H.-T. Chuah, "The MASAR project: Design and development," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 50, 279-298, 2005.
15. Picard, G. and T. Le Toan, "A multiple scattering model for C band backscatter of wheat canopies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 10, 1447-1466, 2002.
16. De Matthaeis, P. and R. H. Lang, "Microwave scattering models for cylindrical vegetation components," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 307-333, 2005.
17. Le Toan, T., A. Lopes, and M. Huet, "On the relationships between radar backscattering coefficient and vegetation canopy characteristics," Proc. IGARSS, 155-160, Strasbourg, France, 1984.
18. Ulaby, F., R. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. 3, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1986.
19. Bouman, B. A. and D. K. Hoekman, "Multitemporal, multi-frequency radar measurements of agricultural crops during the Agriscat-88 campaign in The Netherlands," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 14, No. 8, 1595-1614, 1993.
20. Zoughi, R., L. K. Wu, and R. K. Moore, "Identification of major backscattering sources in trees and shrubs at 10 GHz," Remote Sensing Environment, Vol. 19, No. 3, 269-290, 1986.
21. Wu, L. K., R. K. Moore, R. Zoughi, A. Afifi, and F. T. Ulaby, "Preliminary results on the determination of the sources of scattering from vegetation canopies at 10 GHz," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 6, No. 2, 299-313, 1985.
22. Paris, J. F., "Characterization ofcultural deciduous trees, grapes, and irrigated crops with radar and optical remote sensing," Ann. Rep., Microwave-Optical Characterization of Vegetation with Remote Sensing Project, NASA Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX, 1985.
23. Paris, J. F., "Radar scatterometer probing of thick vegetation canopies," International Geoscience Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 1, 161-163, 1985.
24. Pitts, D. E., G. D. Badhwar, and E. Reyna, "Estimation of biophysical properties of forest canopies through inversion of microwave scatterometer data," International Geoscience Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 1, 313-320, 1985.
25. Wu, S. T., "A preliminary report on the measurements of forest canopies with C-band radar scatterometer at NASA/NSTL," International Geoscience Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 2, 168-173, 1985.
26. Le Toan, T., H. Laur, E. Mougin, and A. Lopes, "Multitemporal and dual-polarization observations of agricultural vegetation covers by X-band SAR images," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 27, 709-717, 1989.
27. Le Toan, T., F. Ribbes, L. F. Wang, N. Floury, K. H. Ding, J. A. Kong, M. Fujita, and T. Kurosu, "Rice crop mapping and monitoring using ERS-1 data based on experiment and modeling results," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, 41-56, 1997.
28. Kurosu, T., M. Fujita, and K. Chiba, "Monitoring ofrice crop growth from space using ERS1 C-band SAR," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 33, 1092-1096, 1995.
29. Kim, S. B., B. W. Kim, Y. K. Kong, and Y. S. Kim, "Radar backscattering measurements ofrice crop using X-band scatterometer," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, 1467-1471, 2000.
30. Koo, V. C., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Development of a ground-based radar for scattering measurements," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 2, 36-42, 2003.
31. Koo, V. C., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Design and development of a scatterometer system for environmental monitoring," Proceeding of IGARSS 1999 Symposium, Hamburgh, Germany, 1999.
32. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing with Matlab Algorithms, John Wiley & Son, 1999.
33. Jin, M. Y., F. Cheng, and M. Chen, "Chirp scaling algorithm for SAR processing," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS ’93, Vol. 3, 1169-1172, 1993.
34. Lopez-Sanchez, M. and J. Fortuny-Guasch, "3-D radar imaging using range migration techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 48, No. 5, 2000.
35. Cafforio, C., C. Prati, and E. Rocca, "SAR data focusing using seismic migration techniques," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, 1991.
36. Fortuny-Guasch, J. and M. Lopez-Sanchez, "Extension of 3-D range migration algorithm to cylindrical and spherical scanning geometries," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 49, No. 10, 2001.
37. Chiang, C. T. and B. K. Chung, "High resolution 3-D imaging," 3rd National Microwave Remote Sensing Seminar, 2004.
38. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008.
39. Chan, Y. K. and S. Y. Lim, "Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) signal generation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 269-290, 2008.
40. Storvold, R., E. Malnes, Y. Larsen, K. A. Hogda, S.-E. Hamran, K. Mueller, and K. Langley, "SAR remote sensing of snow parameters in norwegian areas --- Current status and future perspective," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1751-1759, 2006.
41. Oka, S., H. Togo, N. Kukutsu, and T. Nagatsuma, "Latest trends in millimeter-wave imaging technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 197-204, 2008.
42. Ma, C. Z., T. S. Yeo, H. S. Tan, and G. Lu, "Interferometric ISAR imaging on squint model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 125-133, 2008.
43. Lim, T. S., V. C. Koo, H.-T. Ewe, and H.-T. Chuah, "A SAR autofocus algorithm based on particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 159-176, 2008.
44. Lim, T. S., C.-S. Lim, V. C. Koo, H.-T. Ewe, and H.-T. Chuah, "Autofocus algorithms performance evaluations using an integrated SAR product simulator and processor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 315-329, 2008.
45. Jersak, B. D., M. Dolaty, and A. J. Blanchard, "Time domain enhancement of frequency domain radar cross-section data," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 13, No. 11, 2105-2119, 1992.