A microstrip circular patch antenna with two shorting pins is proposed as an antenna with reduced surface wave and lateral wave excitation. Theoretical analysis of the cavity modes of the patch lead to a design procedure for the antenna. Simulation results using the IE3DZeland software support the theory and verify the reduced surface wave capability. By using four shorting pins instead of two, we demonstrate the possibility of achieving circular polarization with high polarization purity in addition to the reduced surface wave. It is demonstrated that a discrimination against the lateral wave of 30dB or more is achievable. Applications include design of large patch arrays with reduced coupling and GPS receiving antennas that reduce low angle interfering signals.
2. Suh, T. I., S. S. Lee, and H. T. Kim, "Mutual coupling reduction of antennas on a complex superstructure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 7, 983-991, 2004.
3. Zhu, Y.-Z., Y.-J. Xie, Z.-Y. Lie, and T. Dang, "A novel method of mutual coupling matching for array antenna design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1013-1014, 2007.
4. Ouyang, J., F. Yang, S. W. Yang, Z. P. Nie, and Z. Q. Zhao, "Non-surface wave mutual reduction in microstrip antennas array," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 7, 915-922, 2008.
5. Kalaye, B. M. B. and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "A broadband and high isolation CPW fed microstrip antenna array," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2/3, 325-334, 2008.
6. Parkinson, B. W., Global Positioning System: Theory and Application, (Volume One), Chapter 14, American Institute of Aeronautics & Ast, 1996.
7. Liew, S. C., K. G. Tan, and T. S. Lim, "Investigation of direct A-GPS positioning for hybrid E-OTD/GNSS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 79-87, 2006.
8. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Characteristics of space and surface-wave in a multilayered structure," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 38, 1231-1238, 1990.
9. Jakson, D. R., J. T. Williams, A. K. Bhattacharyya, R. L. Smith, S. J. Buchheit, and S. A. Long, "Microstrip patch that don not excite surface waves," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 8, 1993.
10. Bassilio, L. I., J. T. Williams, D. R. Jackson, and M. A. Khayat, "A comparative study for a new GPS reduced surface wave antenna," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 2005.
11. Mehrotra, A. R., D. R. Jackson, J. T. Williams, and S. A. Long, "An annular-ring reduced surface wave microstrip antenna," Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1999, IEEE, Vol. 2, 1999.
12. Mahmoud, S. F. and R. K. Deep, "Characteristics of a circular microstrip patch antenna with a shorting post," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 2, 213-226, 2002.
13. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. Almutairi, "A 2-pin loaded patch as a multiband antenna for wireless communication," Applied Computer Electromagnetic Society Journal, 2003.
14. Almutairi, A. F., S. F. Mahmoud, and N. A. Aljuhaishi, "Wide-band circular patch antenna with 2-pins loading for wireless communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave Applications, Vol. 19, No. 6, 839-851, 2005.
15. Harrington, R. F., Time Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, Sec. 5.8, McGraw Hill, 1961.
16. Sim, C. Y. D. and B. H. Yang, "A single layer dual band CP microstrip antenna for GPS and DSRC applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 529-539, 2008.
17. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna fed by L-strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008.