We report fast and accurate simulations of metamaterial structures constructed with large numbers of unit cells containing split-ring resonators and thin wires. Scattering problems involving various metamaterial walls are formulated rigorously using the electric-field integral equation, discretized with the Rao-Wilton-Glisson basis functions. Resulting dense matrix equations are solved iteratively, where the matrix-vector multiplications are performed efficiently with the multilevel fast multipole algorithm. For rapid solutions at resonance frequencies, convergence of the iterations is accelerated by using robust preconditioning techniques, such as the sparse-approximate-inverse preconditioner. Without resorting to homogenization approximations and periodicity assumptions, we are able to obtain accurate solutions of realistic metamaterial problems discretized with millions of unknowns.
2. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity ," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, May 2000.
3. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Microwave transmission through a two-dimensional, isotropic, left-handed metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 78, 489-491, Jan. 2001.
4. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, Apr. 2001.
5. Moss, C. D., T. M. Gregorczyk, Y. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Numerical studies of left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 315-334, 2002.
6. Gokkavas, M., K. Guven, I. Bulu, K. Aydin, R. S. Penciu, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Experimental demonstration of a left-handed metamaterial operating at 100 GHz," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, No. 19, 193103-1-193103-4, May 2006.
7. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative-Refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, Wiley-IEEE, New Jersey, 2005.
8. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A positive future for double-negative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1535-1556, Apr. 2005.
9. Chen, H., B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006.
10. Grbic, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Overcoming the diffraction limit with a planar left-handed transmission-line lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 11, 117403-1-117403-4, Mar. 2004.
11. Aydin, K., I. Bulu, and E. Ozbay, "Subwavelength resolution with a negative-index metamaterial superlens," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, No. 25, 254102-1-254102-3, Jun. 2007.
12. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, 977-980, Nov. 2006.
13. Weng, Z., N. Weng, Y. Jiao, and F. Zhang, "A directive patch antenna with metamaterial structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, 456-459, Feb. 2007.
14. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005.
15. Poggio, A. J. and E. K. Miller, "Integral equation solutions of three-dimensional scattering problems," Computer Techniques for Electromagnetics, No. 4, R. Mittra (ed.), Chap. 4, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1973.
16. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, May 1982.
17. Song, J., C.-C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1488-1493, Oct. 1997.
18. Ergul, O. and L. Gurel, "Hierarchical parallelisation strategy for multilevel fast multipole algorithm in computational electromagnetics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 1, 3-5, Jan. 2008.
19. Ergul, O. and L. Gurel, "Efficient parallelization of the multilevel fast multipole algorithm for the solution of large-scale scattering problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2335-2345, Aug. 2008.
20. Saad, Y., Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems, SIAM, Philadelphia, 2003.
21. Coifman, R., V. Rokhlin, and S. Wandzura, "The fast multipole method for the wave equation: A pedestrian prescription," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 35, No. 3, 7-12, Jun. 1993.
22. Koc, S., J. M. Song, and W. C. Chew, "Error analysis for the numerical evaluation of the diagonal forms of the scalar spherical addition theorem," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., Vol. 36, No. 3, 906-921, 1999.
23. Ergul, O. and L. Gurel, "Enhancing the accuracy of the interpolations and anterpolations in MLFMA," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 467-470, 2006.
24. Chew, W. C., J.-M. Jin, E. Michielssen, and J. Song, Fast and Efficient Algorithms in Computational Electromagnetics, Artech House, Boston, MA, 2001.
25. Ergul, O. and L. Gurel, "Optimal interpolation of translation operator in multilevel fast multipole algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 12, 3822-3826, Dec. 2006.
26. Brandt, A., "Multilevel computations of integral transforms and particle interactions with oscillatory kernels ," Comput. Phys. Comm., Vol. 65, 24-38, Apr. 1991.
27. Carpentieri, B., I. S. Duff, and L. Giraud, "Experiments with sparse preconditioning of dense problems from electromagnetic applications ,", Tech. Rep. TR/PA/00/04, CERFACS, Toulouse, France, 1999.
28. Malas, T. and L. Gurel, "Incomplete LU preconditioning with the multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering," SIAM J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 29, No. 4, 1476-1494, June 2007.
29. Paige, C. C. and M. A. Saunders, "LSQR: An algorithm for sparse linear equations and sparse least squares," ACM Trans. Math. Software, Vol. 8, 43-71, Mar. 1982.
30. Ergul, O. and L. Gurel, "Efficient solution of the electric-field integral equation using the iterative LSQR algorithm," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 36-39, 2008.
31. Sertel, K. and J. L. Volakis, "Incomplete LU preconditioner for FMM implementations," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 4, 265-267, Aug. 2000.
32. Benzi, M., "Preconditioning techniques for large linear systems: A survey," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 182, No. 2, 418-477, Nov. 2002.
33. Gurel, L. and O. Ergul, "Comparisons of FMM implementations employing different formulations and iterative solvers," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 19-22, 2003.
34. Gurel, L. and O. Ergul, "Extending the applicability of the combined-field integral equation to geometries containing open surfaces," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 515-516, 2006.
35. Ubeda, E., J. M. Rius, and J. Romeu, "Preconditioning techniques in the analysis of finite metamaterial slabs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 1, 265-268, Jan. 2006.
36. Pendry, J. B., A. Holden, J. D. Robbins, and J. W. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, Nov. 1999.
37. Pendry, J. B., A. Holden, J. D. Robbins, and J. W. Stewart, "Low-frequency plasmons in thin wire structures," J. Phys., Condens. Matter, Vol. 10, 4785-4809, Mar. 1998.
38. Smith, D. R., "Negative refractive index in left-handed materials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 2933-2936, Oct. 2000.
39. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 64, No. 5, 056625-1-056625-15, Oct. 2001.
40. Gurel, L., T. Malas, and O. Ergul, "Efficient preconditioning strategies for the multilevel fast multipole algorithm," PIERS Proceedings, 1620-1624, 2007.