This paper presents a concept, by which radio frequency (RF) tags are employed as remotely read dielectric-property sensors to determine qualities of some construction material products (CMPs); e.g., light weight concrete (LWC), mortar specimens and concrete. Using the dependency of the read range of the passive RF identification (RFID) sensor system on the electromagnetic properties of CMPs near or in contact with RFID tags, the qualities of CMPs can be determined through their estimated dielectric properties. Theoretical formulation is provided, and numerical simulations are performed for optimal design of passive RFID tag antennas suitable for RFID sensors and for read-range calculations. In addition, a series of measurements is performed to measure read ranges of the passive RFID sensor system for an LWC as an example of CMPs, and these measured read ranges will be processed appropriately to inversely determine the dielectric constant of the LWC under test, which in turn provides information on its qualities. It is found that the novel RFID sensor can be employed to determine the dielectric properties of the LWC under test with reasonable accuracy.
2. Buyukozturk, O., "Electromagnetic properties of concrete and their significance in nondestructive testing," Transport. Research Board, Paper No. 970872, 1997.
3. Hasar, U. C., "Thickness-independent complex permittivity determination of partially filled thin dielectric materials into rectangular waveguides ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 189-203, 2009.
4. Hasar, U. C., "Thickness-independent automated constitutive parameters extraction of thin solid and liquid materials from waveguide measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 17-32, 2009.
5. Zhang, H., S. Y. Tan, and H. S. Tan, "An improved method for microwave nondestructive dielectric measurement of layered media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 145-161, 2008.
6. Capineri, L., D. J. Daniels, P. Falorni, O. L. Lopera, and C. G. Windsor, "Estimation of relative permittivity of shallow soils by using the ground penetrating radar response from different buried targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 63-71, 2008.
7. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook: Radio-frequency Identification Fundamentals and Applications , Wiley, New York, 1999.
8. Nikitin, P. V., K. V. S. Rao, S. F. Lam, V. Pillai, R. Martinez, and H. Heinrich, "Power reflection coefficient analysis for complex impedances in RFID tag design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2721-2725, Sep. 2005.
9., Symbol XR450, [Online] Available: http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/RFID/RFID +Rea ders/XR45+Fixed+RFID+Reader US-En.
10. Marrocco, G., "RFID antennas for the UHF remote monitoring of human subjects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1862-1870.
11. Deleruyelle, T., P. Pannier, M. Egels, and E. Bergeret, "An RFID tag antenna tolerant to mounting on materials," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 4, 14-19, Aug. 2010.
12. Siden, J., X. Zeng, T. Unander, A. Koptyug, and H. E. Nilsson, Remote moisture sensing utilizing ordinary RFID tags, 2007 IEEE Sensors Conference, 308-311, Oct. 2007.
13. Pena, D., R. Feick, H. D. Hristov, and W. Grote, "Measurement and modeling of propagation losses in brick and concrete walls for the 900-MHz band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 1, 31-39, 2003.
14. Marrocco, G., L. Mattioni, and C. Calabrese, "Multiport sensor RFIDs for wireless passive sensing of objects --- Basic theory and early results," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2691-2702, Aug. 2008.
15. Occhiuzzi, C., S. Cippitelli, and G. Marrocco, "Modeling, design and experimentation of wearable RFID sensor tag," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2490-2498, Aug. 2010.
16. Baude, P. F. and S. D. Theiss, RFID sensor, US 2007/0215709A1, Sep. 2007, Jun. 2007.
17. Marinov, V. R., Y. A. Atanasov, A. Khan, D. Vaselaar, A. Halvorsen, D. L. Schulz, and D. B. Chrisey, "Direct-write vapor sensors on FR4 plastic substrates," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 7, No. 6, 937-944.
18. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Elsherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. Kishk, and T. Elsherbeni, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008.
19. Rao, K. V. S., P. V. Nikitin, and S. P. Lam, "Impedance matching concepts in RFID transponder design," Fourth IEEE Workshop on Automatic Identification Advanced Technologies (AutoID'5), 39-42, 2005.
20. Griffin, J. D., G. D. Durgin, A. Haldi, and B. Kippelen, "RF tag antenna performance on various materials using radio link budgets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 247-250, 2006.
21. Griffin, J. D., A radio assay for the study of radio frequency tag antenna performance, Master's Thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, 2005.
22. Lázaro, A., D. Girbau, and D. Salinas, "Radio link budgets for UHF RFID on multipath environments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1241-1251, Apr. 2009.
23. Standard dipole, [Online] Available: http://www.testmart.com/sp.cfm/ANT/ANRI/MP651B.html.
24. CST-Microwave Studio, , User's Manual, 2006.
25. NXP UCODE G2XL, Ultrahigh frequency smart label ICs [On-line] Available: http://www.nxp.com/acrobat download/literatu-re/9397/75.
26. Light weight concrete, [Online] Available:http://www.ebrindia.c-om/cellular-light-weight-concrete-blocks.htm.
27., Smart block [Online] Available: http://www.smartblock.in.th/view product.php?product=A001&mcat=&cat id=137&lang=th&page=1.
28. Stavrou, S. and S. R. Saunders, "Review of constitutive parameters of building materials," 2003 Antennas and Propagation (ICAP 2003), 211-215, Apr. 2003.
29. Takizawa, T., "Reduction of ghost signal by use of magnetic absorbing material on walls," IEEE Trans. on Broadcasting, Vol. 25, No. 4, 143-146, Dec. 1979.
30. Jin, X. and M. Ali, "Embedded antennas in dry and saturated concrete for application in wireless sensors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 197-211, 2010.
31. Jin, X. and M. Ali, Reflection and transmission properties of embedded dipoles and PIFAs inside concrete at 915 MHz, 2009 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APSURSI' 09, 1-4, Jun. 2009.
32. Hasar, U. C., "Permittivity determination of fresh cement-based materials by an open-ended waveguide probe using amplitude-only measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 27-43, 2009.
33. Dielectric probe, [Online] Available: http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product. jspx?pn=85070E&lc=eng&cc=US.
34. Lee, J. W. and B. Lee, "Design of high-Q UHF radio-frequency identification tag antennas for an increased read range," IET Microw. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 2, No. 7, 711-717, Apr. 2008.
35. Nakhla, N., A. A. El-deen, K. Maurice, L. Youssef, N. Mahfouz, T. Youakim, M. N. A. Zeid, K. Nassar, and A. Darwish, "Electrostatics utilization for concrete performance measurements," 2010 IEEE Middle East Conference on Antennas and Propagation (MECAP 2010), 1-2, Oct. 2010.
36. Ford, S. J., J.-H. Hwang, I. D. Shane, R. A. Olson, G. M. Moss, H. M. Jennings, and T. O. Mason, "Dielectric amplification in cement pastes," Advanced Cement Based Materials, Vol. 5, No. 2, 41-48, Mar. 1997.
37. Wen, S. and D. D. L. Chung, "Cement-based materials for stress sensing by dielectric measurement," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1429-1433, Sep. 2002.