For ultra-wideband synthetic aperture radar (UWB SAR), there often exist a lot of clutters in the image, and the weak targets are easy to be masked by them. However, using the prior scattering knowledge of targets, enhanced imaging can be realized and beneficial improvements in image quality and detection performance can be expected. In this paper, an enhanced imaging method for body of revolution (BOR) has been researched. Since the BOR target has the unique feature of aspect-invariant characteristic, the aspect scattering entropy (ASE) is proposed to describe the diversity of aspect scattering and used in the BOR-enhanced imaging method. Then the application of the proposed method in landmine detection is discussed. The experimental results show that the BOR targets are effectively enhanced and the clutters are surpressed and thus the probability of landmine detection increases under the same false alarm rate.
2. Andrieu, J., et al., "Land mine detection with an ultra-wideband SAR system," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4742, 237-247, 2002.
3. Vickers, R. S., "Design and applications of airborne radars in the VHF/UHF band," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magzine, Vol. 47, 26-29, 2002.
4. Ratto, C. R., P. A. Torrione, and L. M. Collins, "Exploiting ground-penetrating radar phenomenology in a context-dependent framework for landmine detection and discrimination," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, 1689-1699, 2011.
5. Rau, R. and J. H. Mcclellan, "Analytic models and postprocessing techniques for UWB SAR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 36, 1058-1074, 2000.
6. Lorenzo, J. A., F. Quivira, and C. M. Rappaport, "SAR imaging of suicide bombers wearing concealed explosive threats," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 255-272, 2012.
7. Cetin, M., W. C. Karl, and D. A. Castanon, "Evaluation of a regularized SAR imaging technique based on recognition-oriented features," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4053, 40-51, 2000.
8. Cetin, M. and W. C. Karl, "Feature-enhanced SAR image formation based on noquadratic regularization," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 10, 623-631, 2001.
9. Song, Q., H. H. Zhang, F. L. Liang, Y. H. Li, and Z. M. Zhou, Results from an airship-mounted ultra-wideband synthetic aperture radar for penetrating surveillance, 2011 Asia-Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 1-4, Seoul, Korea, 2011.
10. Ji, S. H., R. Parr, and L. Carin, Nonmyopic multiaspect sensing with partially observable Markov decision processes, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 55, 2720-2730, 2007.
11. Wang, T., J. M. Keller, and P. D. Gader, "Frequency subband processing and feature analysis of forward-looking ground-penetrating radar signals for land-mine detection," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, 718-729, 2007.
12. Tan, C.-P., J.-Y. Koay, K.-S. Lim, H.-T. Ewe, and H.-T. Chuah, "Classification of multi-temporal SAR images for rice crops using combined entropy decomposition and support vector machine technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 19-39, 2007.
13. Matthias, D. and M. Abbe, "A history of graph entropy measures," Information Sciences, 57-78, 2011.
14. Sjoberg, D., "On uniqueness and continuity for the quasi-linear, bianisotropic Maxwell equations, using an entropy condition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 317-339, 2007.
15. Zhang, Y.-Q. and D.-B. Ge, "A unified FDTD approach for electromagnetic analysis of dispersive objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 155-172, 2009.
16. Hu, X.-J. and D.-B. Ge, "Study on conformal FDTD for electromagnetic scattering by targets with thin coating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 305-319, 2008.
17. Jin, T. and Z. M. Zhou, "Feature extraction and discriminator design for landmine detection on double-hump signature in ultra-wideband SAR," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing , Vol. 46, 3783-3791, 2008.
18. Zhang, P.-F., S.-X. Gong, and S. F. Zhao, "Fast hybrid FEM/CRE-UTD method to compute the radiation pattern of antennas on large carriers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 75-84, 2009.
19. Guarnieri, A. M. and D. D. Aria, Wide-angle azimuth antenna pattern estimation in SAR images, 2003 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 5, 3105-3107, 2003.
20. Zyl, J. J., "Calibration of polarimetric radar images using only image parameters and trihedral corner reflector responses," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 28, 337-348, 1990.
21. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, and A. Liseno, "Fast GPU-based interpolation for SAR backprojection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 259-283, 2013.
22. Pham, Q. H., T. M. Brosnan, M. J. T. Smith, and R. M. Mersereau, A morphological technique for clutter suppression in ATR, SPIE Conference on Automatic Target Recognition VIII, Vol. 3374, 367-374, Orlando, Florida, 1998.
23. Ulander, L. M., H. Hellsten, and G. Stenström, "Synthetic-aperture radar processing using fast factorized back-projection," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 760, No. 776, 2003.
24. Jin, T. and Z. Zhou, "Ultrawideband synthetic aperture radar landmine detection," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, 3561-3573, 2007.
25. Wang, Y., Q. Song, T. Jin, Y. Shi, and X.-T. Huang, "Sparse time-frequency representation based feature extraction method for landmine discrimination," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 459-475, 2013.
26. Lou, J., T. Jin, and Z. Zhou, "Feature extraction for landmine detection in UWB SAR via SWD and ISOMAP," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 157-171, 2013.
27. Habib, M. A., M. Barkat, B. Aissa, and T. A. Denidni, "Ca-CFAR detection performance of radar targets embedded in `non centered Chi-2 Gamma' clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 135-148, 2008.
28. Tax, D., One-class classification: Concept-learning in the absence of counter-examples, Ph.D. Thesis, Deflt University of Technology, 2001.