In monostatic radars systems, only the micromotion signatures projected onto the radar line-of-sight (LOS) can be observed from echoes. As a result, the obtained micromotion signatures (e.g., the radius length of rotation) are sensitive to the radar LOS. In this paper, we propose a method for the accurate estimation of three-dimensional (3-D) micromotion signature with the orthogonal frequency division multiplexing - linear frequency modulation (OFDM-LFM) multi-input multi-output (MIMO) radar technique, which makes use of the advantages of the multi-view of MIMO radar systems and the broad bandwidth of the OFDM-LFM signals. In the proposed method, the Hough transform and Orthogonal Matching Pursuit (OMP) algorithm are introduced to extract the m-D curve features from echoes, and then the 3-D micromotion signatures of the rotating targets are obtained by solving nonlinear multivariable equation systems. The extracted 3-D micromotion signatures are no longer sensitive to the radar LOS, and can provide realistic feature information for target recognition. Simulations are given to validate the effectiveness of the proposed method.
2. Guo, K. Y. and X. Q. Sheng, "A precise recognition approach of ballistic missile warhead and decoy," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1867-1875, 2009.
3. Pan, X. Y., W. Wang, J. Liu, D. J. Feng, Y. C. Liu, and G. Y.Wang, "Features extraction of rotationally symmetric ballistic targets based on micro-Doppler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 727-740, 2013.
4. Park, J.-H. and N.-H. Myung, "Effective reconstruction of the rotation-induced micro-Doppler from a noise-corrupted signature," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 499-518, 2013.
5. Lim, H., J. H. Yoo, C. H. Kim, K. I. Kwon, and N. H. Myung, "Radar cross section measurement of a realistic jet engine structure with rotating parts," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 7, 999-108, 2011.
6. Lei, P., J. P. Sun, J. Wang, and W. Hong, "Micromotion parameter estimation of free rigid targets based on radar micro-Doppler," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 50, No. 10, 3776-3786, 2012.
7. Lim, H., J. H. Park, J. H. Yoo, C. H. Kim, K. I. Kwon, and N. H. Myung, "Joint time-frequency analysis of radar micro-Doppler signatures from aircraft engine models Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,", Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1069-1080, 2011.
8. Han, S. K., H. T. Kim, S. H. Park, and K. T. Kim, "Efficient radar target recognition using a combination of range profile and time-frequency analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 131-140, 2010.
9. Park, J. H., H. Lim, and N. H. Myung, "Modified Hilbert-Huang transform and its application to measured micro Doppler signatures from realistic jet engine models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 255-268, 2012.
10. Bai, X., M. Xing, F. Zhou, G. Lu, and Z. Bao, "Imaging of micromotion targets with rotating parts based on empirical-mode decomposition," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 11, 3514-3523, Nov. 2008.
11. Zhang, Q., T. S. Yeo, H. S. Tan, and Y. Luo, "Imaging of a moving target with rotating parts based on the Hough transform," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 1, 291-299, Jan. 2008.
12. Sparr, T. and B. Krane, "Micro-Doppler analysis of vibrating targets in SAR," IEE Proc. --- Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 150, No. 4, 277-283, Aug. 2003.
13. Li, X., B. Deng, Y. L. Qin, H. Q. Wang, and Y. P. Li, "The influence of target micromotion on SAR and GMTI," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 7, 2738-2751, Jul. 2011.
14. Luo, Y., et al., "Micro-Doppler effect analysis and feature extraction in ISAR imaging with stepped-frequency chirp signals," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 4, 2087-2098, Apr. 2010.
15. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. Blum, L. Cimini, D. Chizhik, and R. Valenzuela, MIMO radar: An idea whose time has come, Proceeding of the IEEE Radar Conference, 71-78, Philadelphia, PA, 2004.
16. Qu, Y., G. S. Liao, S. Q. Zhu, X. Y. Liu, and H. Jiang, "Performance analysis of beamforming for MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 123-134, 2008.
17. Zhou, W., J. T. Wang, H. W. Chen, and X. Li, "Signal model and moving target detection based on MIMO synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 311-329, 2012.
18. Hatam, M., A. Sheikhi, and M. A. Masnadi-Shirazi, "Target detection in pulse-train MIMO radars applying ICA algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 413-435, 2012.
19. Pastina, D., M. Bucciarelli, and P. Lombardo, "Multistatic and MIMO distributed ISAR for enhanced cross-range resolution of rotating targets ," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 8, 3300-3317, Aug. 2010.
20. Zhu, Y. T., Y. Su, and W. X. Yu, "An ISAR imaging method based on MIMO technique," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 8, 3290-3299, Aug. 2010.
21. Wang, D.-W., X.-Y. Ma, A. L. Chen, and Y. Su, "High-resolution imaging using a wideband MIMO radar system with two distributed arrays ," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol. 19, No. 5, 1280-1289, May 2010.
22. Luo, Y., J. He, X.-J. Liang, and Q. Zhang, "Three-dimensional micro-Doppler signature extraction in MIMO radar," The 2nd International Conference on Signal Processing Systems (ICSPS 2010), Vol. 2, 1-4, Dalian, China, Jul. 5-7, 2010.
23. Cheng, F., et al., The parameter setting problem of signal OFDM-LFM for MIMO radar, International Conference on Communications, Circuits and Systems, 876-880, Fujian, China, 2008.
24. Luo, Y., et al., "High-resolution ISAR imaging with sparse-spectrum OFDM-LFM waveforms," PIERS Proceedings, 230-234, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Mar. 2012.
25. Sen, S. and A. Nehorai, "OFDM MIMO radar with mutual-information waveform design for low-grazing angle tracking," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 6, 3152-3162, Jun. 2010.
26. Lin, Q. Q., P. F. Tang, B. Yuan, and Z. P. Chen, "A new dechirp method for wideband radar direct IF sampling signal," 2012 IEEE 11th International Conference on Signal Processing (ICSP) , Vol. 3, 192-1924, 2012.
27. Kirkland, D. M., "An alternative range migration correction algorithm for focusing moving targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 227-241, 2012.
28. Zhang, L., T. Su, Z. Liu, and X. He, "High resolution ISAR imaging in receiver centered region area in bistatic radar," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 50, 1-10, 2013.
29. Pati, Y. C., R. Rezaiifar, and P. S. Krishnaprasad, Orthogonal matching pursuit: Recursive function approximation with applications to wavelet decomposition , Proc. 27th Annu. Asilomar Conf. Signals, Systems, and Computers, Vol. 1, 40-44, Pacific Grove, CA, Nov. 1993.
30. Tropp, J. A. and A. C. Gilbert, "Signal recovery from random measurements via orthogonal matching pursuit," IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. 53, No. 12, 4655-4666, Dec. 2007.