An overview of state-of-the-art frequency tunable technologies in the realization of tunable radio frequency (RF) and microwave tunable circuits is presented with focus on filter designs. Those enabling techniques and materials include semiconductors, micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS), ferroelectric and ferromagnetic materials. Various performance indicators of one-dimensional tunable filters are addressed in terms of tunability, losses, signal integrity and other aspects. Fundamental limitations of the classical onedimensional tuning method are discussed, which makes use of only one type of tunable elements such as either electric or magnetic tuning/controlling of circuit parameters. Requirements of simultaneous electric and magnetic two-dimensional tuning techniques are highlighted for achieving an unprecedented and advantageous wider modal tuning. It is believed that this emerging scheme will lead its way in the realization of future highly efficient and tunable RF and microwave components and devices.
"Developing One-Dimensional Electronically Tunable Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Components and Devices Towards Two-Dimensional Electromagnetically Reconfigurable Platform (Invited Paper)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 143, 821-848, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13123006
1. Torregrosa-Penalva, G., G. Lopez-Risueno, and J. I. Alonso, "A simple method to design wide-band electronically tunable combline filters ," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 50, No. 1, Jan. 2002. doi:10.1109/22.981262
2. Norwood, M. H. and E. Shatz, "Voltage variable capacitor tuning: A review," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 56, No. 5, May 1968. doi:10.1109/PROC.1968.6408
3. Chandler, S. R., I. C. Hunter, and J. G. Gardiner, "Active varactor tunable bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 3, No. 3, Mar. 1993. doi:10.1109/75.205668
4. Hunter, I. C. and J. D. Rhodes, "Electronically tunable microwave bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., 30- 9, Sep. 1982.
5. Makimoto, M. and M. Sagawa, "Varactor tuned bandpass filters using microstrip-line ring resonators," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 411-414, Jun. 1986. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.1986.1132206
6. Chung, M.-K., I.-S. Kim, and S.-W. Yun, "Varactor-tuned hairpin bandpass filter with an attenuation pole," Asia Pacific Microwave Conf., Dec. 2005.
7. Sanchez-Renedo, M., R. Gomez-Garcia, J. I. Alonso, and C. Briso-Rodriguez, "Tunable combline filter with continuous control of center frequency and bandwidth ," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 53, No. 1, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839309
8. Musoll-Anguiano, C., I. Llamas-Garro, Z. Brito-Brito, L. Pradell, and A. Corona-Chavez, "Fully adaptable band-stop filter using varactor diode," Microwave and Optical Technological Letters, Vol. 52, Mar. 2002.
9. Swartz, G. A., D. W. Wern, and P. H. Robinson, "Large-area varactor diode for electrically tunable, high-power UHF bandpass filter ," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 27, No. 11, Nov. 1980. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1980.20163
10. Yu, F. L., X. Y. Zhang, and Y. B. Zhang, "Frequency-tunable bandpass filters with constant absolute bandwidth and improved linearity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 131-140, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12061006
11. Lugo, C. and J. Papapolymerou, "Electronic switchable bandpass filter using PIN diodes for wireless low cost system-on-a-package applications," IEE Proceedings on Microwave Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 151, No. 6, 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20040897
12. Brito-Brito, Z., I. Llamas-Garro, L. Pradella-Cara, and A. Corona-Chavez, "Microstrip switchable bandstop filter using PIN diodes with precise frequency and bandwidth control," Proceedings of European Microwave Week (EUMA), 1707-1711, 2008.
13. Karim, M. F., Y. X. Guo, Y.-X. Chen, and L. C. Ong, "Miniaturized reconfigurable and switchable filter from UWB to 2.4 GHz WLAN using PIN diodes," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 509-512, 2009.
14. Armendariz, M., V. Sekar, and K. Entesari, "Tunable SIW bandpass filters with PIN diodes," Proceedings of European Microwave Conference, 830-833, 2010.
15. Sirci, S., J. D. Martinez, and V. E. Boria, "Low-loss 3-bit tunable SIW filter with PIN diodes and integrated bias network ," Proceedings of the European Microwave Conference, 1211-1214, 2013.
16. Bakhit, A. A. and P. W. Wong, "Switchable microwave band-stop to all pass ¯lter using stepped impedance resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 52, 99-115, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13033102
17. Lin, J. and T. Itoh, "Tunable active bandpass filters using three-terminal MESFET varactors," Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Vol. 2, 1-5, 1992.
18. Torregrosa-Penalva, G., G. Lopez-Risueno, and J. I. Alonso, "A simple method to design wide-band electronically tunable combline filters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 50, No. 1, 172-177, Jan. 2002. doi:10.1109/22.981262
19. Pantoli, L., V. Stornelli, and G. Leuzzi, "A single-transistor tunable filter for bluetooth applications," Proceedings of European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference, 889-892, 2012.
20. Siegel, C., V. Zieglerl, U. Prechtel, B. Schonlinner, and H. Schumacher, "A Ka-band RF-MEMS phase shifter approach based on a novel dual-state microstrip line," Proceedings of European Microwave Conference, 1221-1224, Oct. 2007.
21. Unlu, M., S. Demir, and T. Akin, "A 15--40-GHz frequency reconfigurable RF MEMS phase shifter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 1, 2865-2877, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2271995
22. Lucyszyn , S. and S. Pranonsatit, "RF MEMS for antenna applications ," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1988-1992, Apr. 2013.
23. Ocera, A., P. Farinelli, P. Mezzanotte, R. Sorrentino, B. Margesin, and F. Gaicomozzi, "A novel MEMS-tunable hairpin line filter on silicon substrate," Proceedings of European Microwave Conference, 803-806, Sep. 2006. doi:10.1109/EUMC.2006.281041
24. Marsan, E., J. Gauthier, M. Chaker, and K. Wu, "Tunable microwave device: Status and perspective," IEEE-NEWCAS Conference, 279-282, Jun. 2005.
25. Gentili, F., L. Pelliccia, F. Cacciamani, P. Farinelli, and R. Sorrentino, "RF MEMS bandwidth-reconfigurable hairpin filters," Proceedings of Asia Pacific Microw. Conf., 735-737, Dec. 2012.
26. Chan, K. Y., S. Fouladi, R. Ramer, and R. R. Mansour, "RF MEMS switchable interdigital bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 1, Jan. 2012.
27. Sekar, V., M. Armendariz, and K. Entesari, "A 1.2--1.6 GHz substrate-integrated-waveguide RF MEMS tunable filter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 59, No. 4, Apr. 2011.
28. Pillans, B., A. Malczweski, R. Allison, and J. Brank, "6--15 GHz RF MEMS tunable filters," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 919-922, Jun. 2005.
29. Entesari, K., K. Obeidat, A. R. Brown, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 25--75-MHz RF MEMS tunable filter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 55, No. 11, Nov. 2007.
30. Minin, I., Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technologies from Photonic Bandgap Devices to Antenna and Applications, 159-184, InTech, , Mar. 2010. doi:10.5772/212
31. Park, J.-H., S. Lee, J.-M. Kim, H.-T. Kim, Y. Kwon, and Y.-K. Kim, "Reconfigurable millimeter-wave filters using CPW-based periodic structures with novel multiple-contact MEMS switches," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 14, No. 3, Jun. 2005.
32. Fourm, E., et al. "Bandwidth and central frequency control on tunable bandpass filter by using MEMS cantilevers," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 523-526, Jun. 2003.
33. Park, S.-J., K.-Y. Lee, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Low-loss 5.15--5.7 GHz RF MEMS switchable filter for wireless LAN applications," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 54, No. 11, Nov. 2006.
34. Yan, W. D. and R. R. Mansour, "Tunable dielectric resonato bandpass filter with embedded MEMS tuning elements," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 55, No. 1, Jan. 2007.
35. Kim, J.-M., , et al. "Digitally frequency-controllable dual-band WLAN filters using micro-machined frequency-tuning elements," IEEE Intern. Conf. on Micro. Electro. Mechanical Systems, 158-161, 2006.
36. Shim, Y., J. Ruan, Z. Wu, and M. Rais-Zadeh, "An integrated RF MEMS tunable filter," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 523-526, Jun. 2003.
37. Kim, J.-M., S. Lee, J.-H. Park, and J.-M. Kim, "Low loss K-band tunable bandpass filter using micromachined variable capacitors," Digest of Technical Papers in Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems, Vol. 1, 1071-1074, Jun. 2005 .
38. Abbaspour, T., L. Dussopt, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Miniature and tunable filters using MEMS capacitors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1878-1885, Jul. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.814317
39. Zhang, N., Z. Deng, and F. Sen, "CPW tunable band-stop filter using hybrid resonator and employing RF MEMS capacitors," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 60, No. 8, Aug. 2013.
40. Ouaddari, M., S. Delprat, F. C. Vidal, C. Mohamed, and K. Wu, "Microwave characterization of ferroelectric thin-film materials," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1390-1397, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845759
41. Vendik, I., O. Vendik, V. Pleskachev, A. Svishvhev, and R. Wordenweber , "Design of tunable ferroelectric filters with a constant fractional bandwidth," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1461-1464, May 2001.
42. Nath , J., D. Ghosh, J.-P. Maria, A. I. Kingon, W. Fathelbab, P. D. Franzon, and M. B. Steer, "An electronically tunable microstrip bandpass filter using thin-film Barium-Strontium-Titanate (BST) varactors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 53, No. 9, Sep. 2005.
43. Papapolymerou, J., C. Lugo, Z. Zhiyong, and X. Wang, "A miniature low-loss slow-wave tunable ferroelectric bandpass filter from 11--14 GHz ," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 556-559, 2006.
44. Delprat, S. L., C. Durand, J. Oh, M. Chaker, and K. Wu, "Correlation between the lattice parameter and the dielectric tunability in nonepitaxial Ba0:5Sr0:5TiO3 thin films ," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 91, 063513-063513-3, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2768898
45. Wang, X., P. Bao, M. J. Lancaster, and T. J. Jackson, "Ferroelectric lumped element filter/switch for microwave applications," Proceedings of 38th European Microwave Conference, 43-46, Oct. 2008.
46. Wang, X., P. Bao, T. J. Jackson, and M. J. Lancaster, "Tunable microwave ¯lters based on discrete ferroelectric and semiconductor varactors ," IET Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 7, 776-782, May 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0417
47. Lourandakis, E., M. Schmidt, G. Fischer, and R. Weigel, "A ferroelectric tunable combline filter with improved stopband transitions," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 340-343, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/RWS.2009.4957349
48. Courreges, S., Y. Li, Z. Zhao, K. Choi, A. T. Hunt, and J. Papapolymerou, "Two-pole X-band-tunable ferroelectric filters with tunable center frequency, fractional bandwidth and return loss ," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 57, No. 12, Dec. 2009.
49. Jiang, H., B. Lacroix, K. Choi, Y. Wang, A. T. Hunt, and J. Papapolymerou, "A compact ferroelectric tunable bandpass filter with flexible frequency responses," IEEE Intern. Conf. on Wireless Information Techn. and Systems, 2012.
50. Jones, G. R., "Magnetic tuning of resonant cavities and wideband frequency modulation of klystrons," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 44, 1431-1438, Oct. 1956. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1956.274987
52. Carter, P. S., "Magnetically-tunable microwave filters using single-crystal Yttrium-Iron-Garnet resonators," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 9, 252-260, 1961. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1961.1125316
53. Murakami, Y., T. Ohgihara, and T. Okamoto, "A 0.5--0.4- GHz tunable bandpass filter using YIG film grown by LPE," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 35, 1192-1198, Dec. 1987. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1987.1133837
54. Tatarenko, A. S., V. Gheevarughese, and G. Srinivasan, "Magnetoelectric microwave bandpass filter," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, 540-541, Apr. 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20060167
55. Oates, D. E., G. F. Dionne, and R. L. Slattery, "Voltage tunable microwave filter resonator," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 641-644, Jun. 2009.
56. Tai, C. S. and G. Qiu, "Wideband microwave filters using ferromagnetic resonance tuning in flip-chip YIG-GaAs layer structures," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, 656-660, Feb. 2009.
57. Adhikari, S., Y.-J. Ban, and K. Wu, "Magnetically tunable ferrite loaded substrate integrated waveguide cavity resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Letters, Vol. 21, 139-141, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2102746
58. Popov, M. A., D. V. B. Murthy, I. V. Zavislyak, and G. Srinivasan, "Magnetic field tunable 18--36 GHz dielectric bandpass filter," Electronic Letters, Vol. 48, No. 2, Jan. 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2011.3455
59. Yang, X., J. Wu, S. Beguhn, Z. Y. Zhou, J. Lou, and N. X. Sun, "Novel C-band tunable bandpass filter with low bias magnetic ¯elds using partially magnetized ferrites," IEEE MTT-S Microwave Symposium Digest, Jun. 2012.
60. Adhikari, S., A. Ghiotto, and K. Wu, "Simultaneous electric and magnetic two-dimensionally tuned parameter-agile SIW devices," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 61, No. 1, 423-435, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2226058