In this communication a comprehensive study of the dielectric properties of human breast milk at microwave frequencies is reported. The samples are collected at weekly intervals following child birth. Measurements are made at the S -band of microwave frequency employing the rectangular cavity perturbation technique. The dielectric constants of the breast milk samples are found to increase as weeks elapse, which is attributed to the reduced fat content and increased lactose concentration. The conductivity of the breast milk samples is similarly found to increase due to the increased dilution.
1. Heath, J., "The effects of short-wave diathermy, microwave and ultrasonics on demand pacemakers and ventrically inhibited pacemakers," Australian Journal of Physiotherapy, Vol. 20, 144-145, 1974.
2. Campanella, L., M. Cusano, R. Dragone, M. P. Sammartino, and G. Visco, "Evaluation of the inhibiting effects from exposure to microwaves on the respiratory activity of yeast cells or on enzyme activity," Current Medicinal Chemistry, Vol. 10, No. 8, 663-669, 2003. doi:10.2174/0929867033457854
3. Gabriel, S., R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: II. Measurements on the frequency range 10 Hz to 20 GHz Literature survey," Physics Medicine Biology, Vol. 60, 2251-2269, 1996. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/002
4. Cook, H. F., "Dielectric behavior of human blood at microwave frequencies," Nature, Vol. 168, 247-248, 1951.
5. Cook, H. F., "The dielectric behavior of some types of human tissues at microwave frequencies," British Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 2, 295-300, 1951. doi:10.1088/0508-3443/2/10/304
6. Burdette, E. C., F. L. Cain, and J. Seals, "In-vivo probe measurement technique for determining dielectric properties at VHF through microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theor. Techn., Vol. 28, 411-427, 1980.
7. Bolomey, J. C., G. Perronnnet, and L. Jofre, "On the possible use of active microwave imaging for remote thermal sensing," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 31, 777-781, 1983. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131592
8. Land, D. V., "A clinical microwave thermography system," IEE Proc. Vol. 134A, Vol. '' IEE Proc. 134A, 193-200, 1987.
9. Mathew, K. T., "Perturbation Theory," Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, Vol. 4, 3725-3735, 2005.