Pairing an epsilon-negative (ENG) slab with a munegative (MNG) slab can have some unusual features,suc h as zero reflection and complete tunneling without any phase delay,although each of those two slabs has predicable features. In this paper,the conditions of zero reflection are obtained through an exact analysis, not by the equivalent transmission-line (TL) models. The distributions of fields and Poynting vector outside and inside such paired slabs are analyzed,while evanescent waves also are studied. Simulation results validate the salient features of such paired slabs.
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of Îµ and Î¼," Soviet Physics USPEKI, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Smith, D. R., et al., "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2048, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
4. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Novel microwave devices and structures based on the transmission line approach of meta-materials, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, No. 6, 8-13, 2003.
5. Liang, L., B. Li, S.-H. Liu, and C.-H. Liang, "A study of using the double negative structure to enhance the gain of rectangular waveguide antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 275-286, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06103102
6. Hamid, A.-K., "Axially slotted antenna on a circular or elliptic cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 329-341, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04082301
7. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Compact linear lead/lag metamaterial phase shifters for broadband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 2003.
8. Kuo, T.-N., S.-C. Lin, and C. H. Chen, "Compact ultrawideband bandpass filters using composite microstrip-coplanarwaveguide sturcture," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1-7, 2006.
9. Caloz, C., A. Sanada, and T. Itoh, "A novel composite right-/lefthanded coupled-line directional coupler with arbitrary coupling level and broad bandwidth," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 2004.
10. Sharma, R., T. Chakravarty, S. Bhooshan, and A. B. Bhattacharyya, "Design of a novel 3db microstrip backward wave coupler using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 261-273, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06100502
11. Fredkin, D. R. and A. Ron, "Effectively left-handed (negative index) composite material," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, No. 10, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1505119
12. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: resonance,tunneling and transparency," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2003.
13. Kong, J. A., "Electromagnetic wave interaction with stratified negative isotropic media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 1-52, 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER01082101