A wideband cavity-backed patch antenna is presented for operating at PCS, IMT200, and 2.4 GHz WLAN bands. A parasitic patch and a probe with a capacitor patch is used to enhance the bandwidth. The cavity-backed and without cavity-backed antenna has been compared. It has been found that the cavity backed antenna has wide impedance bandwidth of 43% and high gain level. It can simultaneously serve most of the modern wireless communication applications that operate at 1.7 GHz-2.5 GHz.
"Wideband Cavity-Backed Patch Antenna for PCS/IMT2000/2.4 GHz
Vol. 74, 39-46, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07041801
1. Li, R. L., G. Dejean, M. M. Tendtzeris, and J. Laskar, "Novel multi-band broadband planar wire antenna for wireless communication handheld terminals," IEEE Antennas and Prop. Society International Symp., Vol. 3, No. 6, 44-47, 2003.
2. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Dual- Wideband square slot antenna with a u-shaped printed tuning stub for personal wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 319-333, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04103001
3. Lin, X.-C. and L.-T. Wang, "A broadband CPW-fed loop slot antenna with harmonic control," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 2, 323-325, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.822202
4. Almutairi, A. F., S. F. Mahmoud, and N. A. Aljuhaishi, "Wide-band circular patch antenna with 2-pin loading for wireless communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 6, 839-851, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393054069091
5. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775537366
6. Pozar, D. M., "A review of bandwidth enhancement techniques for microstrip antennas," Microstrip Antennas: Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, 157-166, 1995.
7. Noghanian, S. and L. Shafai, "Control of microstrip antenna radiation characteristics by ground plane size and shape," IEE Proc. Microwave Antenna Propagat., Vol. 145, 207-212, 1998.
8. Tang, C. L., J. Y. Chiou, and K. L. Waong, "Beamwidth enhancement of circularly polarized microstrip antenna mounted on a three-dimensional ground structure," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 2, 149-154, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10116
9. Su, S. W., K. L. Wong, Y. T. Cheng, and W. S. Chen, "Highgain broadband patch antenna with a cavity ground for 5 GHz WLAN operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 5, 397-399, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20151
10. Karmakar, N. C., "Investigation into a cavity-backed circularpatch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 12, 1706-1715, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.807427
11. Fong, K. S., H. F. Pues, and M. J. Withers, "Wideband multilayer coaxial-fed microstrip antenna element," Electron. Lett., Vol. 21, 497-499, 1985.
12. Hall, P. S., "Probe compensation in thick microstrip patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 23, 606-607, 1987. doi:10.1049/el:19870434
13. Bhartia, P., K. V. S. Rao, and R. S. Tomar, Millimeterwave Microstrip and Printed Circuit Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, Ma, 1991.
14. Lo, W. C. and S. W. Lee, Antenna Handbook, Van Nostrand, New York, 1993.