This paper presents the design of a wideband X-band microstrip 4×4Butler matrix. The wideband performance of the Butler matrix means that it possesses equal coupling and difference of phases throughout the operating band. Design of the wideband components such as 3-branch branch line hybrid, crossover and Schiffman line phase shifter are presented in this paper. A final design of the Butler matrix is proposed. The Butler matrix exhibits couplings and phase errors within −6.7 ± 0.7 dB and 10◦ over a 20% bandwidth with a center frequency at 10 GHz.
1. Fakoukakis, F. E., S. G. Diamantis, A. P. Orfanides, and G. A. Kyriacou, "Development of an adaptive and a switched beam smart antenna system for wireless communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 399-408, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701722
2. Alessandri, F., M. Dionigi, R. Sorrentino, and L. Tarricone, "Rigorous and efficient fabrication-oriented CAD and optimization of complex waveguide networks," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 45, 2366-2374, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.643845
3. Fu, K. K. and A. K. Y. Lai, FDTD optimization of beam forming network for multibeam antenna, In Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 2028-2031, 1998.
4. Denidni, T. A. and T. E. Libar, Wide band four-port butler matrix for switched multibeam antenna arrays, Personal, Vol. 3, 2461-2464, 2003.
5. Sachse, K., A. Sawichi, and G. Jaworski, "Novel multilayer coupled-line structures and their circuit applications," Microwave, Vol. 3, 131-155, 2000.
6. Bona, M., L. Manholm, J. P. Starski, and B. Svensson, "Low-loss compact Butler matrix for a microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, 2069-2075, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.802318
7. Nedil, M., T. A. Denidni, and L. Talbi, "Novel Butler matrix using CPW multilayer technology," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, 499-507, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.860490
8. Hiranandani, M. A. and A. A. Kishk, Widening Butler matrix bandwidth within the X-band, Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4A, 321-324, 2005.
9. Foti, S. J. and T. Macnamara, "Design of wideband Butler matrices using Schiffman lines," Multiple Beam Antennas and Beamformers, Vol. 5, 1-8, 1989.
10. Collado, C., A. Grau, and F. D. Flaviis, Dual-band Butler matrix for WLAN systems, Microwave Symposium Digest, 2247-2250, 2005.