This paper deals with the performance of frequency selective structures with defects. A frequency selective structure is in this case a periodic pattern of apertures in a conducting plate. The plate can be of arbitrary thickness. The defects can be due to deviations in the placing of the apertures, in the material parameters, or in the shape of the apertures. First, the perturbation to the farfield pattern from a deviation in one aperture is analyzed. It is then shown how this affects the mean scattered power from the structure. Numerical illustrations of the perturbed fields on the structure are given.
"Frequency Selective Structures with Stochastic Deviations," ,
Vol. 74, 141-155, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07042501
1. Eibert, T. F., J. L. Volakis, D. R. Wilton, and D. R. Jackson, "Hybrid FE/BI modeling of 3-D doubly periodic structures utilizing triangular prismatic elements and an MPIE formulation accelerated by the Ewald transformation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 5, 843-850, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.774139
2. Holter, H., "Analysis and design of broadband phased array antennas," Ph.D. thesis, 2000.
3. Kristensson, G., M. ˚Akerberg, and S. Poulsen, "Scattering from a frequency selective surface supported by a bianisotropic substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 83-114, 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER01022302
4. Kristensson, G., S. Poulsen, and S. Rikte, "Propagators and scattering of electromagnetic waves in planar bianisotropic slabs — an application to frequency selective structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 48, 1-25, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER04031503
5. Sjöberg, D., "Coherent effects in single scattering and random errors in antenna technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 13-39, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04050401
6. Tsao, C.-H. and R. Mittra, "Spectral-domain analysis of frequency selective surfaces comprised of periodic arrays of cross dipoles and Jerusalem crosses," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, No. 5, 478-486, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143348
7. Vardaxoglou, J. C., Frequency Selective Surfaces (Analysis and Design), Research Studies Press, 1997.
8. Widenberg, B., S. Poulsen, and A. Karlsson, "Scattering from thick frequency selective screens," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 14, No. 9, 1303-1328, 2000.