This paper proposes the pseudo-periodic Fourier transform to analyze the electromagnetic scattering from periodic structures with non-plane wave incidence. The pseudo-periodic Fourier transform converts arbitrary field components into pseudo-periodic functions and the conventional grating theories based on the Floquet theorem become applicable. The inverse transform is given by integrating with respect to the transform parameter over a finite interval and the near field analysis requires numerical integration. Some application examples are numerically examined and the results show good convergence.
"Two-Dimensional Electromagnetic Scattering of Non-Plane Incident Waves by Periodic Structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 74, 241-271, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07050902
1. Petit, R. (ed.), Electromagnetic Theory of Gratings, Vol. 22 of Topics in Current Physics, Vol. 22 of Topics in Current Physics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980.
2. Kriezis, Em. E., P. K. Pandelakis, and A. G. Papagiannakis, "Diffraction of a Gaussian beam from a periodic planar screen," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 11, No. 2, 630-636, 1994.
3. Yang, J., L. W. Li, K. Yasumoto, and C. H. Liang, "Twodimensional scattering of a Gaussian beam by a periodic array of circular cylinders," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, No. 2, 280-285, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.841416
4. Caloz, C., A. K. Skrivervik, and F. E. Gardiol, "An efficient method to determine Green's functions of a two-dimensional photonic crystal excited by a line source—the phased-array method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1380-1391, 2002. doi:10.1109/22.999153
5. Jandieri, V., H. Toyama, and K. Yasumoto, "Radiation from a localized line source in two-dimensional photonic crystals," The Papers of Technical Meeting on Electromagnetic Theory, 06-13, 2006.
6. Nakayama, J., "Periodic Fourier transform and its application to wave scattering from a finite periodic surface," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E83-C, No. 3, 481-487, 2000.
7. Watanabe, K. and K. Kuto, "Numerical analysis of optical waveguides based on periodic Fourier transform," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 1-21, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06060802
8. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1989.
9. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
10. Roussel, H., W. C. Chew, F. Jouvie, and W. Tabbara, "Electromagnetic scattering from dielectric and magnetic gratings of fibers — a T-matrix solution," J. Electromagnetic Waves and Appl., Vol. 10, No. 1, 109-127, 1996.
11. Yasumoto, K. and K. Yoshitomi, "Efficient calculation of lattice sums for free-space periodic Green's function," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1050-1055, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.777130
12. Kushta, T. and K. Yasumoto, "Electromagnetic scattering form periodic array of two circular cylinders per unit cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 29, 69-85, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIER99103101
13. Toyama, H. and K. Yasumoto, "Eelectromagnetic scattering from periodic arrays of composite circular cylinder with internal cylindrical scatterers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 321-333, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04100101
14. Jia, H. and K. Yasumoto, "Rigorous analysis of guided modes of two-dimensional metallic electromagnetic crystal waveguides," J. Electromagnetic Waves and Appl., Vol. 19, No. 14, 1919-1933, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775570620
15. Yokota, M., T. Takenaka, and O. Fukumitsu, "Scattering of a Hermite-Gaussian beam mode by parallel dielectric circular cylinders," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 3, No. 4, 580-586, 1986.
16. Knop, K., "Rigorous diffraction theory for transmission phase gratings with deep rectangular grooves," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 68, No. 9, 1206-1210, 1978.
17. Moharam, M. G. and T. K. Gaylord, "Diffraction analysis of dielectric surface-relief gratings," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 72, No. 10, 1385-1392, 1982.
18. Watanabe, K., J. Pǐstora, M. Foldyna, K. Postava, and J. Vlˇcek, "Numerical study on the spectroscopic ellipsometry of lamellar gratings made of lossless dielectric materials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 22, No. 4, 745-751, 2005. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.22.000745