This paper presents simple formulas for designing different configurations of two-dimensional photonic band gap (PBG) structures. These formulas are obtained by interpolating full wave analysis based on the plane wave expansion method. The design parameters of these formulas include the physical dimensions of the unit cell and the electrical properties of both host and inclusion in the structure. These formulas represent an efficient and fast method to obtain the band gap and the center frequency of different PBG structures.
"Design Equations of Two-Dimensional Dielectric Photonic Band Gap Structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 74, 319-340, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07051702
1. Guida, G., A. de Lustrac, and A. Priou, "An introduction to photonic band gap (PBG) materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 1-20, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER02010801
2. Lee, R. K., Y. Xu, and A. Yariv, "Microcavities photonic bandgaps and applications to lasers and optical communications," IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society 1999 12th Annual Meeting.LEOS '99, 1999.
3. Bayindir, M. and E. Ozbay, "Band-dropping via coupled photonic crystal waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 10, No. 22, 1279-1284, 2002.
4. Cuesta-Soto, F., A. Martnez, J. Garca, F. Ramos, P. Sanchis, J. Blasco, and J. Mart, "All-optical switching structure based on a photonic crystal directional coupler," Optics Express, Vol. 12, No. 1, 161-167, 2004. doi:10.1364/OPEX.12.000161
5. Chen, C., S. Shi, D. W. Prather, and A. Sharkawy, "Beam steering with photonic crystal horn radiators," Optical Engineering, Vol. 43, No. 1, 174-180, 2004. doi:10.1117/1.1627772
6. Chien, F. S., Y. J. Hsu, W. F. Hsieh, and S. C. Cheng, "Dual wavelength demultiplexing by coupling and decoupling of photonic crystal waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 12, No. 6, 1119-1125, 2004. doi:10.1364/OPEX.12.001119
7. Ozbay, E., B. Temelkuran, and M. Bayindir, "Microwave applications of photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 185-209, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER02010808
8. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and H. Mosallaei, "Electromagnetic bandgap structures: classification, characterization, and applications," International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, No. 4, 17-20, 2001.
9. Pottier, P., C. Seassal, X. Letartre, J. L. Leclercq, P. Viktorovitch, D. Cassagne, and C. Jouanin, "Triangular and hexagonal high Q-factor 2-D photonic bandgap cavities on III-V suspended membranes," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 17, No. 11, 2058-2062, 1999. doi:10.1109/50.802995
10. Smirnova, E. I., C. Chen, M. A. Shapiro, and R. J. Temkin, "Simulation of metallic photonic bandgap structures for accelerator applications," IEEE Particle Accelerator Conference, 933-935, 2001.
11. Smirnova, E. I., C. Chen, M. A. Shapiro, J. R. Sirigiri, and R. J. Temkin, "Simulation of photonic band gaps in metal rod lattices for microwave applications," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 91, No. 3, 960-968, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1426247
12. Chen, M. Y. and R. J. Yu, "Analysis of photonic bandgaps in modified honeycomb structures," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 16, No. 3, 819-821, 2004. doi:10.1109/LPT.2004.823719
13. Silveirinha, M. G. and C. A. Fernandes, "A hybrid method for the efficient calculation of the band structure of 3-D metallic crystals," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 889-902, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.823563
14. Ward, A. J., "Transfer matrices, photonic bands and related quantities," Imperial College of Science, No. 7, 1996.
15. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: the Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, 2nd edition, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2000.
16. Pelosi, G., R. Coccioli, and S. Selleri, Quick Finite Element Method for Electromagnetic Waves, Chapter 5, Artech House, 1998.
17. Zheng, L. G. and W. X. Zhang, "Study on bandwidth of 2-D dielectric PBG material," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 83-106, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER02010804