Cognitive Ultra Wideband Radio is proposed to exploit the advantages of combining Cognitive Radio with Ultra Wideband technologies, so as to solve the problems of coexistence and compatibility between UWB and other existing narrowband wireless systems. A novel adaptive UWB pulse shaping algorithm with low complexity, instead of notch filter, is presented for producing the expected spectral notches right in the frequency band occupied by the nearby wireless devices. Simulation results show that the proposed UWB waveform has better single-link BER performances in AWGN channel and stronger anti-jamming ability than other conventional waveforms such as Scholtz's monocycle, etc. Besides, the power spectral density of UWB pulse does not need to be reduced over the whole frequency band. Therefore, it is possible to expand the communication range of UWB systems by increasing the transmitted power of UWB pulse.
1. FCC Report and Order, In the Matter of Revision of Part 15 of the Commission's Rules Regarding Ultra-wideband Transmission Systems, In the Matter of Revision of Part 15 of the Commission's Rules Regarding Ultra-wideband Transmission Systems, 02-48, FCC 02-48, 2002.
2. Roy, S., J. R. Foerster, V. S. Somayazulu, and D. G. Leeper, Ultra wideband radio design: the promise of high-speed, short range wireless connectivity, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 92, No. 2, 295-311, 2004.
3. Chen, C.-H., C.-L.Liu, C.-C. Chiu, and T.-M. Hu, "Ultrawide band channel calculation by SBR/image techniques for indoor communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 41-51, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777387
4. Milstein, L. B., Interference rejection techniques in spread spectrum communications, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 76, No. 6, 657-671, 1988.
5. Liu, W. C. and C. F. Hsu, "CPW-fed notched monopole antenna for UMTS/IMT-2000/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 841-851, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780749138
6. Vijayan, R. and H. V. Poor, "Nonlinear techniques for interference suppression in spread-spectrum systems," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 38, No. 7, 1060-1065, 1990. doi:10.1109/26.57504
7. Mitola, J. and G. MaguireJr., "Cognitive Radio: making software radios more personal," IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 6, 13-18, 1999. doi:10.1109/98.788210
8. Saeed, R. A., S. Khatun, and B. M. Al, Ultra-wideband interference mitigation using cross-layer cognitive radio, wireless and optical communications networks, 2006 IFIP International Conference, No. 4, 1-5, 2006.
9. Chakravarthy, V. D., A. K. Shaw, and M. A. Temole, Cognitive radio — an adaptive waveform with spectral sharing capability, Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Vol. 2, 724-729, 2005.
10. Iacobycci, M. S. and M. G. Di Benedetto, Radio frequency interference issues in impulse radio multiple access communication systems, ultra wideband systems and technologies, 2002 Digest of Papers, No. 5, 293-296, 2002.
11. Kohno, R., H. Zhang, and H. Nagasaka, "Ultra wideband impulse radio using free-verse pulse waveform shaping, soft-spectrum adaptation, and local sine template receiving," IEEE, 15-03, 2003.
12. Win, M. Z., "Ultra-wide bandwidth time-hopping spread spectrum impulse radio for wireless multiple-access communications," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 48, No. 4, 679-689, 2000. doi:10.1109/26.843135
13. Proakis, J. G., Digital Communications, 4th edition, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, Beijing, 2001.
14. Zheng, J. Y. and J. M. Lin, "Spectral characteristics of ultra wideband multiple-access signals," Acta Electronica Sinica, Vol. 31, No. 10, 1575-1577, 2003.
15. Win, M. Z. and R. A. Scholtz, "Impulse radio: How it work," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 2, 36-38, 1998. doi:10.1109/4234.660796
16. Chen, J., Y. H. Kuo, and J. D. Li, "Review of automatic communication signals recognition," Journal of Circuits and Systems, Vol. 10, No. 5, 102-109, 2005.
17. Zhang, P.-F. and S.-X. Gong, "Improvement on the forwardbackward iterative physical optics algorithm applied to computing the RCS of large open-ended cavities," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 457-469, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367297