A Ku band six-bit phase shifter is presented in this work. The developed phase shifter consists of four bits realized as periodically loaded-line and two bits based on novel switched-line with loaded-line. A 71Ω line impedance is chosen for the main transmission line in order to reduce the diode loss. Every bit has special tuning elements for the fine tuning of the required phase shift. The phase error for the 64 phase states is not greater than 3.4 degrees at the designed center frequency of 15 GHz, and the insertion loss for the 64 phase states is 5.2 dB±1.1 dB over the operating bandwidth of 14.9-15.1 GHz.
"Design of a Ku Band Six Bit Phase Shifter Using Periodically Loaded-Line and Switched-Line with Loaded-Line," ,
Vol. 76, 369-379, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071904
1. Rebeiz, G. M., G.-L. Tan, and J. S. Hayden, "RF MEMS phase shifters design and applications," Microwave Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 2, 72-81, 2002. doi:10.1109/MMW.2002.1004054
2. Robertson, B., F.-D. Ho, and T. Hudson, "Optimization of MEMS Ku-band phase shifter," Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems, No. 9, 2004.
3. Abbaspour-Sani, E. and S. Afrang, "A low voltage MEMS structure for RF capacitive switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 157-167, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06093001
4. Abbaspour-Sani, E., N. Nasirzadeh, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Two novel structures for tunable MEMS capacitor with RF applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 169-183, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06081404
5. Hargsoon, Y., K. J. Vinoy, J. K. Abraham, and V. K. Varadan, CPW phase shifter using barium strontium titanate thin film on silicon substrate, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, No. 6, 970-972, 2003.
6. Maruhashi, K., H. Mizutani, and K. Ohata, "Design and performance of a Ka-band monolithic phase shifter utilizing nonresonant FET switches," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1313-1317, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.859475
7. Takasu, H., F. Sadaki, M. Kawano, and S. Kamihashi, Kaband low loss and high power handling GaAs PIN diode MMIC phase shifter for reflected-type phased array systems, Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, No. 6, 467-470, 1999.
8. Mortenson, K. E. and J. M. Borrego, Design, Performance and Application of Microwave Semiconductor Control Components, Artech House, 1972.
9. Atwater, H. A., "Circuit design of the loaded-line phase shifter," Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 33, No. 8, 626-634, 1985. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1985.1133038
10. Rao, Q. and T. A. Denidni, "On improving impedance matching of CPW fed low permittivity dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 21-29, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04062901
11. Li, L., C. H. Liang, and C. H. Chan, "Waveguide end-slot phased array antenna integrated with electromagnetic bandgap structures," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 2, 161-174, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378826
12. Babajigit, B., A. Akdagli, and K. Guney, "A colonal selection algorithm for null synthesizing of linear antenna arrays by amplitude control," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 8, 1007-1020, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930222
13. Akdagli, A., K. Guney, and B. Babajigit, "Colonal selection algorithm for design of reconfigurable antenna array with discrete phase shifter," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 2, 215-227, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378808
14. Lee, K. C. and J. Y. Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 14, 2013-2025, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322684