At the University of Liverpool, we are developing prototype free electron maser (FEM) that are compact, powerful and efficient for potential industrial applications. The design, set-up and results of a novel X-band rectangular waveguide pre-bunched free electron maser (PFEM) are presented in this paper. Our initial device operates at 10 GHz and employs two rectangular waveguide cavities (one for velocity modulation and the other for energy extraction). The electron beam used in this experiment is produced by thermionic electron gun which operates at 3 kV and up to 50 μA. The nominal beam diameter is 1mm passing across the X-band cavity resonators. The resonant cavity consists of a thin gap section of height 1.5mm which reduces the beam energy required for beam wave interaction. The results, progress so far and the scope of work for the next couple of months are reported.
"Prototype Design of Compact and Tuneable X-Band Pre-Bunched Free Electron Maser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 85, 1-23, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08072404
1. Sabry, R. and S. K. Chaudhuri, "Formulation of emission from relativistic free electrons in a ring structure for electro-optical applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 135-161, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04052001
2. Pinhasi, Y. and Y. Lurie, "Generalized theory and simulation of spontaneous and super-radiant emissions in electronic devices and free-electron lasers," Phys. Rev., Vol. E65, 026501-1-8, 2002.
3. Arbel, M., A. Abramovich, A. L. Eichenbaum, A. Gover, H. Kleinman, Y. Pinhasi, and I. M. Yakover, "Superradiant an stimulated superradiant emission in a prebunched beam freeelectron laser," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 86, 2561-2564, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.86.2561
4. Vinokurov, N. A., Proceedings of the International Conference on High Energy Cherged Particle Accelerators, Vol. 2, Serpukhov, Protvino, Russia, 1977.
5. Doria, A., R. Bartolini, J. Feinstein, G. P. Gallerano, and R. H. Pantell, "Coherent emission and gain from a bunched electron beam," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. QE-29, 1428-1436, 1993. doi:10.1109/3.236158
6. Ku, H. S. and T. Yusaf, "Processing of composites using variable and fixed frequency microwave facilities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 185-205, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08011304
7. Tiwari, K. C., D. Singh, and M. K. Arora, "Development of a model for detection and estimation of depth of shallow buried non-metallic landmine at microwave X-band frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 225-250, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100201
8. Gholami, M., "Analysis of output power delay in coaxial vircator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 1-12, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07122501
9. Li, Z., T. J. Cui, and J. F. Zhang, "TM wave coupling for high power generation and transmission in parallel-plate waveguide," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 947-961, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780749039
10. Mondal, M. and A. Chakrabarty, "Resonant length calculation and radiation pattern synthesis of longitudinal slot antenna in rectangular waveguide," PIER Letters, Vol. 3, 187-195, 2008.
11. Dwari, S., A. Chakraborty, and S. Sanyal, "Analysis of linear tapered waveguide by two approaches," Progress In lectromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 219-238, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06071902
12. Li, Z. and T. J. Cui, "Novel waveguide directional couplers using left handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1053-1062, 2007.
13. Al-Shamma'a, A. I., A. Shaw, R. A. Stuart, and J. Lucas, "Enhancement of an electron beam buncher for a CW FEM," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Vol. A429, 304-309, 1994.
14. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, USA, 1998.
15. Ziao, J.-K., W.-S. Ji, S. Zhang, and Y. Li, "A field theoretical method for analyzing microwave cavity with arbitrary crosssection," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 435-446, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776117054
16. De, A. and G. V. Attimarad, "Numerical analysis of two dimensional tapered dielectric waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 44, 131-142, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03062001
17. Quirk, E. G., "A pre-bunched free electron laser," Ph.D. Thesis, 1994.
18. Dearden, G., S. E. Mayhew, J. Lucas, and R. A. Stuart, "Spontaneous emission measurements from a low voltage prebunched electron beam," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Vol. A375, 179-182, 1996.
19. Wright, C. C., "Development of a free electron maser for industrial applications," Ph.D. Thesis, 2000.
20. Panda, D. K. and A. Chakraborty, "Analysis of co-channel interference at waveguide joints using multiple cavity modeling technique," PIER Letters, Vol. 4, 91-98, 2008.
21. Oka, S., H. Togo, N. Kukutsu, and T. Nagatsuma, "Latest trends in millimeter-wave imaging technology," PIER Letters, Vol. 1, 197-204, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07120604
22. Ibrahim, A. T., "Using microwave energy to treat tumors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 1-27, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07092504
23. Singh, G., "Analytical study of the interaction structure of vane-loaded gyro travelling wave tube amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 41-66, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08010402
24. Mizuno, M., C. Otani, K. Kawase, Y. Kurihara, K. Shindo, Y. Ogawa, and H. Matsuki, "Monitoring the frozen state of freezing media by using millimetre waves," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 341-349, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701687