This paper explores the feasibility of microwave imaging a buried object by the GA and using the S11 parameter of a radiation antenna rather than data of the scattered electromagnetic field. To improve the efficiency of the GA-based algorithm, a technique of limiting the location of the buried object prior to the implement of the GA is proposed, and the GA is parallelized and executed on a PC cluster. A few numerical examples are presented, in which the dimension and location of a 3-D object buried in the earth are recovered. Results validate the proposed GA-based microwave imaging algorithm.
"Microwave Imaging a Buried Object by the GA and Using the S11 Parameter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 85, 289-302, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081401
1. Chen, X., D. Liang, and K. Huang, "Microwave imaging 3-D buried objects using parallel genetic algorithm combined with FDTD technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1761-1774, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292264
2. Cui, T. J. and W. C. Chew, "Novel diffraction tomographic algorithm for imaging two-dimensional dielectric objects buried under a lossy earth," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 4, 2033-2041, July 2000.
3. Cui, T. J., W. C. Chew, A. A. Aydiner, and S. Y. Chen, "Inverse scattering of two dimensional dielectric objects buried in a lossy earth using the distorted born iterative method ," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 39, No. 2, 339-345, Feb. 2001. doi:10.1109/36.905242
4. Bucci, O. M., G. D’Elia, and M. Santojanni, "A fast multipole approach to 2D scattering evaluation based on a non redundant implementation of the method of auxiliary sources," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1715-1723, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292174
5. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, M. Pastorino, M. Raffetto, and A. Randazzo, "Detection of buried inhomogeneous elliptic cylinders by a memetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2878-2884, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817984
6. Steinbauer, M. and R. Kubasek, "Numerical method of simulation of material influences in mr tomograohy," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 205-210, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07120605
7. Zhong, X. M., C. Liao, W. Chen, Z. B. Yang, Y. Liao, and F. B. Meng, "Image reconstruction of arbitrary cross section conducting cylinder using UWB pulse," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 25-34, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391786
8. Zacharopoulos, A., S. Arridge, O. Dorn, V. Kolehmainen, and J. Sikora, "3D shape reconstruction in optical tomography using spherical harmonics and BEM ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1827-1836, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292165
9. Chi, C.-C. and W.-T. Chen, "Electromagnetic imaging for an tly conducting cylinder by the genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 11, Nov. 2000.
10. Caorsi, S. and M. Pastorino, "Two-dimensional microwave imaging approach based on a genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 3, March 2000. doi:10.1109/8.841897
11. Oka, S., H. Togo, N. Kukutsu, and T. Nagatsuma, "Latest trends in millimeter-wave imaging technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 197-204, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07120604
12. Haupt, R. L., "An introduction to genetic algorithms for electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Pmpagatiin Magazine, Vol. 37, No. 2, April 1995.
13. Rostami, A. and A. Yazdanpanah-Goharrizi, "A new method for classification and identification of complex fiber Bragg grating using the genetic algorithm ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 329-356, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061802
14. Su, D. Y., D. M. Fu, and D. Yu, "Genetic algorithms and method of moments for the design of PIFAS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 9-18, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07110603
15. Kerr, Y. H., "The multi-frequency imaging microwave radiometer: applications to land surface parameter retrieval," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 1991. IGARSS ’91. ‘Remote Sensing: Global Monitoring for Earth Management’, Internation.
16. Vertiy, A. and S. Gavrilov, "Imaging of buried object by tomography method using multifrequency regularization process," 11th Int. Conf. on Mathematical Methods in Electromagnetic Theory, Kharkiv, Ukraine, June 26–29, 2006.
17. Guo, Y., S. A. Kassam, F. Ahmad, and M. Amin, "Reduced complexity multi-frequency imaging using active aperture synthesis," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2004.
18. Li, C.-L., Y. Sun, L. Zhang, and X.-C. Wang, "A parallel micro-genetic algorithm its application ," Proceeding of the Fourth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Guangzhou, August 18–21, 2005.
19. Meng, Z.-Q., "Autonomous genetic algorithm for functional optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 253-268, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07031506
20. Kunz, K. S. and R. J. Luebbers, The Finite Difference Time Domain Method for Electromagnetics, CRC Press, 1993.
21. Taflove, A., Advance in Computational Electrodynamics, Artech House, 1998.
22. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell’s equations in isotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 4, 302-307, 1966.
23. Uduwawala, D., "Modeling and investigation of planar parabolic dipoles for GPRapplications: A comparison with bow-tie using FDTD," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 53-56, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777224
24. Ali, M. and S. Sanyal, "FDTD analysis of rectangular waveguide in receiving mode as ems sensors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 291-303, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112901
25. Ding, W., Y. Zhang, P. Y. Zhu, and C. H. Liang, "Study on electromagnetic problems involving combinations of arbitrarily oriented thin-wire antennas and inhomogeneous dielectric objects with a hybrid MoM-FDTD method ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1519-1533, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274255
26. Chen, X. and K. Huang, "Microwave imaging of buried inhomogeneous objects using parallel genetic algorithm combined with FDTD method ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 283-298, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04102902
27. Zhang, Y., X. W. Zhao, M. Chen, and C. H. Liang, "An efficient MPI virtual topology based parallel, iterative MoM-PO hybrid method on PC clusters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 661-667, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776137782