A modal-expansion method is proposed for the analysis of a monopole antenna in a vibrating reverberation chamber. Inside the chamber, electromagnetic fields are expanded using modal functions. Mode matching process is applied to enforce the boundary conditions at regional interfaces. Boundary conditions on the four side walls of the chamber are imposed by the point matching method. Combining these two matching processes, a set of matrix equations are obtained and the expansion coefficients can then be determined accordingly. The loss from the chamber walls is accounted for through homogeneous material filling. The input impedance and scattering parameter of a monopole in a reverberation chamber are computed and statistical analysis of the scattering parameter is conducted when one of its walls is vibrating.
1. Ma, M., "Understanding reverberating chambers as an alternative facility for EMC testing," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 2, No. 3-4, 339-351, 1988. doi:10.1163/156939388X00260
2. Wang, Y., W. Koh, and C. Lee, "Coupling cross section and shielding effectiveness measurements on a coaxial cable by both mode-tuned reverberation chamber and Gtem cell methodologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 61-73, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03100101
3. Serafimov, N., P.-S. Kildal, and T. Bolin, "Comparison between radiation efficiencies of phone antennas and radiated power of mobile phones measured in anechoic chamber and reverberation chamber," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 478-481, 2002.
4. Kildal, P.-S., C. Carlsson, and J. Yang, "Measurement of free space impedances of small antennas in reverberation chambers," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 2, 112-115, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10105
5. Rosengren, K. and P.-S. Kildal, "Radiation efficiency, correlation, diversity gain, and capacity of a six monopole antenna array for a MIMO system: Theory, simulation and measurement in reverberation chamber," Proc. IEEE Microw. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 152, No. 1, 7-16, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045031
6. Khaleghi, A., "Diversity techniques with parallel dipole antennas: Radiation pattern analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 23-42, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06062401
7. Hill, D., "Electronic mode stirring for reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 36, No. 4, 294-299, 1994. doi:10.1109/15.328858
8. Carlberg, U., P.-S. Kildal, and J. Carlsson, "Study of antennas in reverberation chamber using method of moments with cavity Green’s function calculated by ewald summation," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 47, No. 4, 805-814, 2005. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2005.858755
9. Cerri, G., V. Primiani, S. Pennesi, and P. Russo, "Source stirring mode for reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 47, No. 4, 815-823, 2005. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2005.858757
10. Kouveliotis, N., P. Trakadas, and C. Capsalis, "FDTD modelling of a vibrating intrinsic reverberation chamber," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 6, 849-850, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322503394
11. Cappetta, L., M. Feo, V. Fiumara, V. Pierro, and I. Pinto, "Electromagnetic chaos in mode stirred reverberation enclosures," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 3, 185-192, 1998. doi:10.1109/15.709415
12. Kouveliotis, N., P. Trakadas, and C. Capsalis, "Theoretical investigation of the field conditions in a vibrating reverberation chamber with an unstirred component," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 45, No. 1, 77-80, 2003. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2002.808072
13. Karlsson, K., J. Carlsson, and P.-S. Kildal, "Reverberation chamber for antenna measurements: modeling using method of moments, spectral domain techniques, and asymptote extraction," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3106-3113, 2006.
14. Nie, X., N. Yuan, L. Li, and Y. Gan, "Accurate modeling of monopole antennas in shielded enclosures with apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 251-262, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100403
15. Kim, J. and H. Eom, "Radiation from multiple annular slots on a circular cylindrical cavity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 47-56, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391713
16. Ock, J. and H. Eom, "Radiation of a hertzian dipole in a shortended conducting circular cylinder with narrow circumferential slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 11-20, 2008.
17. Shen, Z. and R. H. MacPhie, "Theoretical modeling of multi-sleeve monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 31, 31-54, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00041802
18. Shen, Z. and R. MacPhie, "Rigorous evaluation of the input impedance of a sleeve monopole by modal-expansion method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, No. 12, 1584-1591, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.546244
19. Kuwano, S., M. Deno, and K. Kokubun, "A precise mode-matching technique for characterizing an H-plane waveguide Y-junction with an arbitrary angle," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 7, 969-987, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322519063
20. Jiang, Z., Z. Shen, and X. Shan, "Mode-matching analysis of waveguide T-junction loaded with an H-plane dielectric slab," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 11, 1613-1614, 2002. doi:10.1163/156939302X01029
21. Akbarzadeh, A. and Z. Shen, "On the gap source model for monopole antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 115-118, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.919816
22. Bladel, J., Electromagnetic Fields, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2007.
23. Kolundzija, B., J. Ognjanovic, and T. Sarkar, WIPL-D, Electromagnetic Modeling of Composite Metallic and Dielectric Structures, Artech House, MA, 2000.
24. Huang, E. and A. Fung, "An application of sampling theorem to moment method simulation in surface scattering," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 531-546, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776117063