A novel time-domain integral equation (TDIE) solver for transient analysis of conducting wires is proposed. It is formulated using the induced electric dipoles as unknown functions. The triangular and B-spline functions are employed as the spatial and temporal basis functions, respectively. By using these basis functions, the matrix elements are found obtainable via exact closed-form formulae, which furnish a robust scheme in terms of stability and accuracy. In addition, to accelerate the matrix filling, a recursive algorithm is introduced. Numerical validations are provided by a dipole antenna, a V-shape antenna and a helical antenna.
1. Rynne, B. P., "Time domain scattering from arbitrary surfaces using the electric field integral equation ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 5, 93-112, 1991.
2. Rao, S. M., Time Domain Electromagnetics, Academic Press, 1999.
3. Sachdeva, N., S. M. Rao, and N. Balakrishnan, "A comparison of FDTD-PML with TDIE," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 50, 1609-1614, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.804024
4. Zhang, G. H., M. Y. Xia, and C. H. Chan, "Time domain integral equation approach for analysis of transient responses by metallicdielectric composite bodies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 87, 1-14, 2008.
5. Ergin, A. A., B. Shanker, and E. Michielssen, "The plane wave time-domain algorithm for the fast analysis of transient wave phenomena," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 41, 39-52, 1999. doi:10.1109/74.789736
6. Zhou, Z. X. and J. S. Tyo, "An adaptive time-domain integral equation method for transient analysis of wire scatterer," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 4, 147-150, 2005.
7. Courant, R., K. Friedrichs, and H. Lewy, "On the partial difference equations of mathematical physics," IBM J., Vol. 11, 215-234, 1967.
8. Sadigh, A. and E. Arvas, "Treating the instabilities in marchingon-in-time method from a different perspective," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 41, 1695-1702, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.273314
9. Davies, P. J. and D. B. Duncan, "Averaging techniques for timemarching schemes for retarded potential integral equations," App. Numer. Math., Vol. 23, 291-310, 1997. doi:10.1016/S0168-9274(96)00069-4
10. Rynne, B. P. and P. D. Smith, "Stability of time-marching algorithms for electric field integral equation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 4, 1181-1205, 1990. doi:10.1163/156939390X00762
12. Shifman, Y. and Y. Leviatan, "On the use of spatiotemporal multiresolution analysis in method of moments solutions for the time-domain integral equation," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 49, 1123-1129, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.943306
13. Jung, B. H., J. Zhong, T. K. Sarkar, and M. Salazar-Palma, "A comparison of marching-on in time method with marching-on in degree method for the TDIE solver," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 70, 281-296, 2007.
14. Jung, B. H., Y. S. Chung, and T. K. Sarkar, "Time-domain EFIE, MFIE, and CFIE formulations using Laguerre polynomials as temporal basis functions for the analysis of transient scattering from arbitrary shaped conducting structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 39, 1-45, 2003.
15. Andriulli, F. P. and E. Michielssen, "A regularized combined field integral equation for scattering from 2-D perfect electrically conducting objects," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 55, 2522-2529, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.904083
16. Manara, G., A. Monorchio, and R. Reggiannini, "A space-time discretization criterion for a stable time-marching solution of the electric field integral equation," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 45, 527-532, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.558668
17. Hu, J. L., C. H. Chan, and Y. Xu, "A new temporal basis function for the time domain integral equation method," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 11, 465-466, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.966043
18. Xia, M. Y., et al., "Stable solution of time domain integral equation methods using quadratic B-spline temporal basis functions," J. Comput. Math., Vol. 25, 374-384, 2007.
19. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, V. Lomakin, and E. Michielssen, "Fast solution of mixed-potential time-domain integral equations for half-space environments," IEEE T. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, 269-279, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.841489
20. Lu, M. and E. Michielssen, "Closed form evaluation of time domain fields due to Rao-Wilton-Glisson sources for use in marching-on-in-time based EFIE solvers," IEEE APS. Int. Symp. Dig., 74-77, 2002.
21. Pingenot, J., S. Chakraborty, and V. Jandhyala, "Polar integration for exact space-time quadrature in time-domain integral equations," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 54, 3037-3042, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.882195
22. Zubik-Kowal, B. and P. J. Davies, "Numerical approximation of time domain electromagnetic scattering from a thin wire," Numerical Algorithms, Vol. 30, 25-35, 2002. doi:10.1023/A:1015689722761
23. Bayer, S. E. and A. A.Ergin, "A stable marching-on-in-time scheme for wire scatterers using a newmark-beta formulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 337-360, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031215
24. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 30, 409-418, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
25. Zhong, J., et al., "A stable solution of time domain electric field integral equation for thinwire antennas using the Laguerre polynomials," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 52, 2641-2649, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.820953