A single-feed low-profile and easy to fabricate circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna has been developed for GPS applications. For dual frequency operation, four slots are etched near edges of the patch and a crossed slot etched in the center for generating circular polarization. In order to reducing the frequency ratio of two frequency bands of the antenna, the patch is loaded by four short circuit microstrip stubs. The paper reports several simulation results that confirm the desired characteristics of the antenna. Using stub loading, the frequency ratio of two bands of the antenna can be, even, reduced to 1.1.
1. Padros, N., J. Ortigosa, J. Baker, M. Iskander, and B. Thomberg, "Comparative study of high-performance GPS receiving antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 4, 698-706, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.564096
2. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House Inc., 2001.
3. Sanchez-Hernandez, D. and I. D. Robertson, "A survey of broadband microstrip patch antennas," Microwave J., 60-84, Sep. 1996.
4. Pozar, D. M. and S. M. Duffy, "A dual-band circularly polarized A dual-band circularly polarized satellite," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 11, 1618-1624, Nov. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.650073
5. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-samii, "A single layer dual band circularly polarized microstrip antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 720-723, 2002.
6. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 78, 73-81, 2008.
7. Yang, K. P. and K. L. Wong, "Dual band circularly polarized square microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 3, 378-382, March 2001. doi:10.1109/8.918619
8. Lan, X., "A novel high performance GPS microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagat Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 988-991, 2000.
9. Fujimoto, T., D. Ayukawa, K. Iwanaga, and M. Taguchi, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagat Society International Symposium AP-S 2008, 1-4, 2008.
10. Sim, C. Y. D., "A single layer dual-band CP microstrip antenna for GPS and DSRC applications ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 529-539, Oct. 2008.
11. Chou, H. T., L. R. Kuo, and W. J. Liao, "Characteristic evaluation of an active patch antenna structure with an embedded LNA module for GPS reception," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 5, 599-614, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780667283
12. Alkanhal, M. A. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 70, 337-349, 2007.
13. Maci, S., G. B. Gentili, P. Piazzesi, and C. Salvador, "Dual-band slot-loaded patch antenna," IEE Proceedings Microwave Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 142, No. 3, 225-232, June 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19951932
14. Richards, W. F. and S. A. Long, "Reactively loaded microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagat Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 5, 10-17, 1986.
15. Richards, W. F., S. E. Davidson, and S. A. Long, "Dual-band reactively loaded microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, No. 5, 556-561, May 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143617
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd edition, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2004.