This letter presents a compact low temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) receiver front-end module integrating 9 building blocks. The receiver is a twicefrequency- conversion front-end module with image injection, works at X-band, consists of an X-band embedded image injection band-pass filter (BPF), an L-band multilayer image injection quasi-ellipitc BPF, two monolithic microwave integrated circuit (MMIC) low noise amplifiers (LNAs), two intermediate frequency (IF) amplifiers, two mixers, a IF BPF, and some lumped passive components. All MMICs are mounted into pre-making cavities in the three layers LTCC substrate of the top surface, and the interconnection between MMICs and surface microstrip-line is established by bond wires. A multilayer five-pole Chebyshev interdigital BPF is developed as the first image injection filter, and a four-pole quasi-elliptic BPF composed of stepped-impedance hairpin resonator and miniaturized hairpin resonators that can be coupled through the apertures on the common ground plane is proposed for as the second image injection filter. The developed X-band receiver front-end module is fabricated using twenty layers LTCC dielectric substrate, which has a compact size of 30 × 20 × 20 mm3 (including the metal cavity). The measured receiver gain and noise figure are more than 32 dB and less than 4 dB, respectively. The first and second image injection is better than 28 dB and 40 dB, respectively.
1. Lim, K., S. Pinel, M. F. Davis, A. Sutono, C. H. Lee, D. Heo, A. Obatoynbo, J. Laskar, E. M. Tentzeris, and R. Tummala, "RF-system-on-package (SOP) for wireless communications," IEEE Microwave Mag., Vol. 3, No. 1, 88-99, March 2002. doi:10.1109/MMW.2002.990700
2. Bae, J. H., W. K. Choi, J. S. Kim, G. Y. Choi, and J. S. Chae, "Study on the demodulation structure of reader receiver in a passive RFID environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 91, 243-258, 2009.
3. Kim, J. H., Y. H. You, K. I. Lee, and J. H. Yi, "Pilot-less synchronization receiver for UWB-based wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 83, 119-131, 2008.
4. Chan, Y. K. K., , B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Transmitter and receiver design of an experimental airborne synthetic aperture radar sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 49, 203-218, 2004.
5. Ma, T. G., C. J. Wu, and C.-F. Chou, "An impulse-radio-based ultrawideband RF front-end module with a new multilayered microwave sampler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 86, 1-18, 2008.
6. Li, S., S. L. Zheng, X. M. Zhang, and X. F. Jin, "A compact photonic microwave receiver integrated with dielectric resonator antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 11-12, 1547-1555, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786390030
7. Alivizatos, E. G., M. N. Petsios, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Towards a range-doppler UHF multistatic radar for the detection of noncooperative targets with low RCS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 15, 2015-2031, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775570512
8. Wang, G. Q., M. Van, F. Barlow, and A. Elshabini, "An interdigital bandpass filter embedded in LTCC for 5GHz wireless LAN applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 5, 357-359, May 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.847711
9. Yeung, L. K. and K. L. Wu, "A compact second-order LTCC bandpassfilter with two finite transmission zeros," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 337-341, February 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807846
10. Lee, J. H., N. Kidera, G. DeJean, S. Pinel, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A v-band front-end with 3-D integrated cavity filters/duplexers and antenna in LTCC technologies," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2925-2937, July 2006.
11. Lee, C. H., A. Sutono, S. Han, K. Lim, S. Pinel, J. Laskar, and E. M. Tentzeris, IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 25, No. 3, 374-384, August 2002. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2002.805315
12. Yeung, L. K., J. Wang, Y. Huang, S. C. Lee, and K. L. Wu, "A compact LTCC Bluetooth system module with an integrated antenna," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 16, No. 3, 238-244, February 2006. doi:10.1002/mmce.20147
13. Ko, Y. J., J. Y. Park, J. H. Ryu, K. H. Lee, and J. U. Bu, "A miniaturized LTCC multi-layered front-end module for dual band WLAN (802.11a/b/g) applications," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 563-566, June 2004.
14. Weng, C. C., C. F. Chang, and S. J. Chung, "Development of a compact low- remperature co-fired ceramic antenna front-end module," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 11, 2483-2492, November 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2005889
15. Baras, T. and A. F. Jacob, "Integrated LTCC synthesizer and signal converter modules at K-band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 71-79, January 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2008940
16. Hong, J. S and M. J. Lancaster, Mircrostrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.
17. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Theory and experiment of novel microstrip slow-wave open-loop resonator filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 12, 2358-2365, December 1997. doi:10.1109/22.643844
18. Sagawa, M., K. Takahashi, and M. Makimoto, "Miniaturized hairpin resonator filters and their application receiver front-end MIC's," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 37, No. 12, 1991-1997, November 1989. doi:10.1109/22.44113
19. Djaiz, A. and T. A. Denidni, "A new compact microstrip two-layer bandpass filter using aperture-coupled SIR-hairpin resonators with transmission zeros," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1929-1936, May 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.872797
20. Kuo, J. T. and E. Shih, "Microstrip stepped impedance resonators bandpass filter with an extended optimal rejection bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1554-1559, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.810138
21. Levy, R., "Filters with single transmission zeros at real or imaginary frequencies ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 24, No. 4, 172-181, April 1976. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1976.1128811
22. Zhao, X. and K. Huang, "Calculation of probability distribution of maximal received power of electronic receiver in lighting electromagnetic environment," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 2, 221-230, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393054497357
23. Guo, Y. and R. Xu, "Ultra-wideband power splitting/combining technique using zero-degree left-handed transmission lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1109-1118, 2007.
24. Jiang, B. T. and J. F. Mao, "A good performance design for integrating three antennas in a dual SIM mobile phone for GSM/DCS/Bluetooth operations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1943-1954, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537892
25. Guo, Y. and R. Xu, "Planar metamaterials supporting multiple left-handed modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 239-251, PIER 66, 2006.
26. Chou, H. T., L. R. Kuo, and W. J. Liao, "Characteristic evaluation of an active patch antenna structure with an embedded LNA module for GPS reception," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 599-614, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780667283
27. Guo, Y., Y. Xu, L. Xia, and R. Xu, "Efficient optimization of a Ka-band branch waveguide power divider," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 17-26, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308783122698
28. Fakoukakis, F. E., S. G. Diamantis, A. P. Orfanides, and G. A. Kyriacou, "Development of an adaptive and a switched beam smart antenna system for wireless communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 399-408, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701722