In this work, we present an inverse scattering approach to address the timely detection of damage and leakage from pipelines via multi-bistatic ground penetrating radar (GPR) surveys. The approach belongs to the class of linearized distorted wave models and explicitly accounts for the available knowledge on the investigated scenario in terms of pipe position and size. The inversion is regularized by studying the properties of the relevant linear operator in such a way to guarantee an early warning capability. The approach has been tested by means of synthetic data generated via a finite-difference timedomain forward solver capable of accurately and realistically modeling GPR experiments. The achieved results show that it is possible to detect the presence of leakage even in its first stages of development.
Nigel J. Cassidy,
"Bistatic Tomographic GPR Imaging for Incipient Pipeline Leakage Evaluation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 101, 307-321, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122206
1. Desilva, D., S. Burn, G. Tjandraatmadja, M. Moglia, P. Davis, L. Wolf, I. Held, J. Vollertsen, W. Williams, and L. Hafskjold, "Sustainable management of leakage from wastewater pipelines," Water Science and Technology, Vol. 52, No. 12, 189-198, 2005.
3. Soleimani, M., C. N. Mitchell, R. Banasiak, R. Wajman, and A. Adler, "Four-dimensional electrical capacitance tomography imaging using experimental data," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 171-186, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09010202
4. Goharian, M., M. Soleimani, and G. R. Moran, "A trust region subproblem for 3D electrical impedance tomography inverse problem using experimental data," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 19-32, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09052003
5. Banasiak, R., R. Wajman, D. Sankowski, and M. Soleimani, "Three-dimensional nonlinear inverstion of electrical capacitance tomography data using a complete sensor model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 219-234, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09111201
6. Gamba, P. and S. Lossani, "Neural detection of pipe signatures in ground penetrating radar images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 38, No. 2, 790-797, Mar. 2000. doi:10.1109/36.842008
7. Stampolidis, A., P. Soupios, F. Vallianatos, and G. N. Tsokas, "Detection of leaks in buried plastic water distribution pipes in urban places --- A case study," Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Advanced Ground Penetrating Radar, IWAGPR2003, 120-124, Delft, The Netherlands, May 2003.
8. Nakhkash, M. and M. R. Mahmood-Zadeh, "Water leak detection using ground penetrating radar," Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, GPR2004, 525-528, Delft, The Netherlands, Jun. 2004.
9. Borgioli, G., L. Capineri, P. L. Falorni, S. Matucci, and C. G. Windsor, "The detection of buried pipes from time-of-flight radar data," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 8, 2254-2266, Aug. 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.917211
10. Soldovieri, F., A. Brancaccio, G. Prisco, G. Leone, and R. Pierri, "A Kirchhoff based shape reconstruction algorithm for the multimonostatic configuration: The realistic case of buried pipes," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 10, 3031-3038, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.921959
11. Crocco, L., G. Prisco, F. Soldovieri, and N. J. Cassidy, "Earlystage leaking pipes GPR monitoring via microwave tomographic inversion," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 67, No. 4, 270-277, April 2009. doi:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2008.09.006
12. Pettinelli, E., F. Soldovieri, A. Di Matteo, L. Crocco, E. Mattei, D. Redman, and P. Annan, "GPR response from buried pipes: measurement on field site and tomographic reconstructions," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 8, 2639-2645, Aug. 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2018301
13. Soldovieri, F., J. Hugenschmidt, R. Persico, and G. Leone, "A linear inverse scattering algorithm for realistic GPR applications," Near Surface Geophysics, Vol. 5, No. 1, 29-41, Feb. 2007.
14. Catapano, I., L. Crocco, R. Persico, M. Pieraccini, and F. Soldovieri, "Linear and nonlinear microwave tomography approaches for subsurface prospecting: Validation on real data," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 49-53, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.870363
15. Bermani, E., S. Caorsi, and M. Raffetto, "An inverse scattering approach based on a neural network technique for the detection of dielectric cylinders buried in a lossy half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 26, 67-87, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIER99052001
16. Cui, T. J., W. C. Chew, X. X. Yin, and W. Hong, "Study of resolution and super resolution in electromagnetic imaging for half-space problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1398-1411, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.829847
17. Yu, Y., T. Yu, and L. Carin, "Three-dimensional inverse scattering of a dielectric target embedded in a lossy half-space," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 42, No. 5, 957-973, 2004. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2003.820601
18. Chommeloux, L., C. Pichot, and J. C. Bolomey, "Electromagnetic modeling for microwave imaging of cylindrical buried inhomogeneities," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 34, No. 10, 1064-1076, 1986. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133496
19. Meincke, P., "Linear gpr inversion for lossy soil and a planar air-soil interface," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 39, No. 12, 2713-2721, 2001. doi:10.1109/36.975005
20. Millington, T. M. and N. J. Cassidy, "Optimising GPR modelling: A practical, multi-threaded approach to 3D FDTD numerical modeling," Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, GPR2008, page on CD, Birmingham, UK, Jun. 2008.
21. Cassidy, N. J., "A review of practical numerical modeling methods for the advanced interpretation of ground-penetrating radar in near-surface environments," Near Surface Geophysics, Vol. 5, No. 1, 5-22, 2007.
22. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ, 1995.
23. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetic, John Wiley, New York, NY, 1989.
24. Bertero, M. and P. Boccacci, Introduction to Inverse Problems in Imaging, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol and Philadelphia, 1998.