This paper presents a multiband folded loop antenna for smart phone applications. The proposed antenna with a symmetric loop pattern generates four resonance modes in the design bands. The current distributions of the excited resonance modes are analyzed to confirm the mode characteristic. Using a pair of tuning elements near the feed port, the impedance bandwidth is broadened to cover GSM850/GSM900/DCS/PCS/UMTS bands. This research performed simulation by a high frequency structure simulator (HFSS) to optimally design the antenna, and a practical structure was constructed to test. The current study measured the antenna parameters including reflection coefficient, radiation characteristics, peak gain, and radiation efficiency to validate the proposed antenna.
"Multiband Folded Loop Antenna for Smart Phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011601
1. Morishita, H., Y. Kim, and K. Fujimoto, "Design concept of antenna for small mobile terminals and the future perspective," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 30-43, Oct. 2002.
2. Chi, Y. J., C. W. Chiu, and . M. Deng, "Internal quad-band printed antenna for PDA phone," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 10, 489-491, May 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.0482
3. Chiu, C. W. and Y. J. Chi, "Planar hexa-band inverted-F antenna for mobile device applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1099-1102, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2033623
4. Hossa, R., A. Byndas, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Improvement of compact terminal antenna performance by incorporating open-end slots in ground plane ," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 283-285, Jun. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.828007
5. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its e®ect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 226-229, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.819669
6. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, A. Sanz, A. Condes, D. Gala, C. Puente, and J. Soler, "Enhancing the performance of handset antennas by means of groundplane design ," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials (IWAT) , 29-32, New York, USA, Mar. 2006.
7. Cabedo, A., J. Anguera, C. Picher, M. Ribo, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna combining PIFA, slots, and ground plane modes ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2526-2533, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027039
8. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Cabedo, C. Puente, and S. Kahng, "Multiband handset antenna using slots on the ground plane: Considerations to facilitate the integration of the feeding transmission line ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 95-109, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09030605
9. Antonino, E., C. A. Suarez, M. Cabedo, and M. Ferrando, "Wideband antenna for mobile terminals based on the handset PCB Resonance," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 7, 1408-1411, Jul. 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21654
10. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and K. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1433-1444, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.802085
11. Morishita, H., H. Furuuchi, and K. Fujimoto, "Performance of balanced-fed antenna system for handsets in the vicinity of a human head or hand ," IEE Proceedings on Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 149, No. 2, 85-91, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20020206
12. Jung, B., H. Rhyu, Y. J. Lee, F. J. Harackiewwicz, M. J. Park, and B. Lee, "Internal folded loop antenna with tuning notches for GSM/GPS/DCS/PCS mobile handset applications ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1501-1504, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21743
13. Lin, C. I. and K. L. Wong, "Internal meandered loop antenna for GSM/DCS/PCS multiband operation in a mobile phone with the user's hand ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 4, 759-765, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22271
14. Chi, Y. W. and K. L. Wong, "Internal compact dual-band printed loop antenna for mobile phone application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1457-1462, May 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.895641
15. Wong, K. L. and C. H. Huang, "Printed loop antenna with a perpendicular feed for penta-band mobile phone application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 7, 2138-2141, Jul. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.924770
16. Chi, Y. W. and K. L. Wong, "Compact multiband folded loop chip antenna for small-size mobile phone," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3797-3803, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007280
17. Chi, Y. J. and C. W. Chiu, "An internal hepta-band printed loop antenna for laptop computer," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., Jun. 2009.
18. Boyle, K. R., Y. Yuan, and L. P. Lighthart, "Analysis of mobile phone antenna impedance variations with user proximity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 364-372, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889834
19. Huang, T. and K. R. Boyle, "User interaction studies on handset antennas," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Nov. 2007.
20. Arenas, J. J., J. Anguera, and C. Puente, "Balanced and single-ended handset antennas: Free space and human loading comparison ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2248-2254, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24525
21. Anguera, J., A. Camps, A. Anduar, and C. Puente, "Enhancing the robustness of handset antennas to finger loading effects," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 15, 770-771, Jul. 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.0887