Here we report a prism made of stacked quasi-selfcomplementary extraordinary transmission surfaces which allows simultaneously left- and right-handed propagation within the V-band for vertical and horizontal polarizations, respectively and righthanded propagation within the W-band for both polarizations. The numerical dispersion diagram of the infinite structure and effective indexes of refraction retrieved from S-parameters under normal incidence together with the finite integration time domain simulations predict single negative and double positive birefringence. The unusual type of birefringence single negative and regular double positive birefringence are afterwards demonstrated experimentally at the millimeter-waves (V- and W-bands) by the wedge experiment which lets us check, using a straightforward geometrical method, the refraction of each component. The effective index of refraction is retrieved via the Snell's law and compared to those obtained through the dispersion diagram and the retrieval method from S-parameters computed with the commercial software CST Microwave StudioTMTM.
1. Garcia de Abajo, F. J., "Colloquium: Light scattering by particle and hole arrays," Rev. Modern Phys., Vol. 79, No. 4, 1267-1290, 2007. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.79.1267
2. Brown, J., "Artificial dielectric having refractive indices less than unity," Proc. IEE, Vol. 100, No. 4, 51-62, 1953.
3. Ulrich, R., "Far-infrared properties of metallic mesh and its complementary structure ," Infrared Phys., Vol. 7, No. 1, 37-55, 1967. doi:10.1016/0020-0891(67)90028-0
4. Chen, C. C., "Diffraction of electromagnetic waves by a conducting screen perforated periodically with circular holes," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 19, No. 5, 475-481, 1971. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1971.1127548
5. Ebbesen, T. W., H. J. Lezec, H. Ghaemi, T. Thio, and P. A. Wolf, "Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelength hole arrays ," Nature, Vol. 391, No. 6668, 667-669, 1998. doi:10.1038/35570
7. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Phys. Ups., Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
8. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
9. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity ," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
11. Solymar, L. and E. Shamonina, Waves in Metamaterials, Oxford University Press, New York, 2009.
12. Beruete, M., M. Sorolla, and I. Campillo, "Left-handed extraordinary optical transmission through a photonic crystal of subwavelength hole arrays ," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, No. 12, 5445-5455, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.005445
13. Zhang, S., W. Fan, N. C. Panoiu, K. J. Malloy, R. M. Osgood, and S. R. J. Brueck, "Experimental demonstration of near-infrared negative-index metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, No. 13, 137404-1-4, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.137404
14. Dolling, G., C. Enkrich, M. Wegener, C. M. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, "Simultaneous negative phase and group velocity of light in a metamaterial ," Science, Vol. 32, No. 5775, 892-894, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1126021
15. Navarro-Cia, M., M. Beruete, M. Sorolla, and I. Campillo, "Negative refraction in a prism made of stacked subwavelength hole arrays ," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 2, 560-566, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.000560
16. Beruete, M., M. Navarro-Cia, F. Falcone, I. Campillo, and M. Sorolla, "Connection between extraordinary transmission and negative refraction in a prism of stacked subwavelength hole arrays ," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 42, No. 16, 165504-1-4, 2009. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/42/16/165504
17. Navarro-Cia, M., M. Beruete, I. Campillo, and M. Sorolla, "Millimeter-wave left-handed extraordinary transmission meta-material demultiplexer," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 1, 212-215, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2005041
18. Beruete, M., M. Navarro-Cia, M. Sorolla, and I. Campillo, "Planoconcave lens by negative refraction of stacked subwave-length hole arrays," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 13, 9677-9683, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.009677
19. Navarro-Cia, M., M. Beruete, M. Sorolla, and I. Campillo, "Converging biconcave metallic lens by double-negative extraordinary transmission metamaterial ," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 94, No. 14, 144107-1-3, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3118585
20. Navarro-Cia, M., M. Beruete, M. Sorolla, and I. Campillo, "Viability of focusing effect by left-handed stacked subwavelength hole arrays," Phys. B, 2010 (in press).
21. Valentine, J., S. Zhang, T. Zentgraf, E. Ulin-Avila, D. A. Genov, G. Bartal, and X. Zhang, "Three-dimensional optical metamaterial with a negative refractive index," Nature, Vol. 455, No. 7211, 376-379, 2008. doi:10.1038/nature07247
22. Beruete, M., M. Navarro-Cia, I. Campillo, P. Goy, and M. Sorolla, "Quasioptical polarizer based on self-complementary sub-wavelength hole arrays," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Comp. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 12, 834-836, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.910471
23. Beruete, M., M. Navarro-Cia, M. Sorolla, and I. Campillo, "Polarized left-handed extraordinary optical transmission of subterahertz waves," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, No. 13, 8125-8134, 2007. doi:10.1364/OE.15.008125
24. Beruete, M., M. Navarro-Cia, M. Sorolla, and I. Campillo, "Polarization selection with stacked hole array metamaterial," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 103, No. 5, 053102-1-4, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2841471
25. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
26. Beruete, M., M. Navarro-Cia, F. Falcone, I. Campillo, and M. Sorolla, "Single negative birefringence in stacked spoof plasmon metasurfaces by prism experiment ," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 5, 643-645, 2010. doi:10.1364/OL.35.000643
27. Beruete, M., I. Campillo, M. Navarro-Cia, F. Falcone, and M. Sorolla Ayza, "Molding left- or right-handed metamaterials by stacked cutoff metallic hole arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1514-1521, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.897324
28. Chen, X., T. M. Grzegorczyk, B.-I. Wu, J. Pacheco, Jr., and J. A. Kong, "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 70, No. 1, 016608-1-7, 2004.
29. Hao, Y. and R. Mittra, FDTD Modeling of Metamaterials: Theory and Applications, Artech House, Norwood, 2009.
30. Smith, D. R., P. M. Rye, J. J. Mock, D. C. Vier, and A. F. Starr, "Enhanced diffraction from a grating on the surface of a negative index material," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 13, 137405-1-4, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.93.137405
31. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1997.
32. Depine, R. A. and A. Lakhtakia, "Plane-wave diffraction at the periodically corrugated boundary of vacuum and a negative-phase-velocity material," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 69, No. 5, 057602-1-4, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.69.057602