Design of array antennas for satellite applications is always a trade-off between physical constrains and pattern requirements. In this paper, the focus is on the design of a large array antenna for earth coverage applications using spot beams. The array antenna has a diameter of 1 m and consists of circular polarized horn antennas positioned in a non-uniform grid. By using a binary coded genetic algorithm (BCGA) the desired element positions and their excitations are optimized to fulfill the pattern requirements. In addition thinning has been used to study the possibility of maintaining good antenna performance when reducing the number of elements. The proposed antenna design has robust side lobe level, beam width and gain; all remain virtually unchanged under a change of operating frequency ±7% and under lobe steering over earth ±8.8o.
W. A. Bukhsh,
"Element Position Perturbation for a Narrow Spot Beam with Applications to Satellite Communication Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 104, 283-295, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10040602
1. Son, S. H., et al."Low sidelobe design by position perturbation in mobile array antenna for satellite communications," IEEE 59th Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 10-13, 2004.
2. Angeletti, P. and G. Toso, "Aperiodic arrays for space applications: A combined amplitude/density synthesis approach," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2026-2030, Berlin, March 2009.
3. Schippers, H., et al. "Conformal phased array with beam forming for airborne satellite communication," International TIG Workshop on Smart Antennas, WSA, 343-350, 2008.
4. Lozano, M. V. and G. Franceschetti, "Analysis and synthesis of a printed array for satellite communication with moving vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 11, 1555-1559, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.803953
5. Lo, Y. T. and S. W. Lee, Antenna Handbook, van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, 1988.
6. Steinberg, B., "The peak sidelobe of the phased array having randomly located elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 20, No. 2, 129-136, 1972. doi:10.1109/TAP.1972.1140162
7. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1997.
8. Toso, G. and P. Angeletti, "Aperiodic linear arrays for rectangular shaped beams," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1372-1376, Berlin, 2009.
9. Von Hagel, C. J. and W. T. Smith, "Numerical efficient techniques for computation of mutual coupling between co-planar circular apertures," IEEE Antennas Prop., Vol. 1, 448-451, July 13-18,1997.
10. Bucci, O. M., et al. "Intersection approach to array pattern synthesis," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 137, No. 6, 349-357, 1990.
11. Rocca, P., et al. "Evolutionary optimization as applied to inverse scattering problems ," Inverse Problems, Vol. 25, No. 123003, 1-44, 2009.
12. Leeper, D. G., "Isophoric arrays --- Massively thinned phased arrays with well-controlled sidelobes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 12, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.817659
13. Donelli, M., et al. "A hybrid approach based on PSO and Hadamard di®erence sets for the synthesis of square thinned arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2491-2495, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2024570
14. Lommi, A., et al. "Sidelobe reduction in sparse linear arrays by genetic algorithms," Microw. Opt. Techn. Let., Vol. 32, No. 3, 194-196, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10128
15. Tian, Y.-B., et al. "Improve the performance of a linear array by changing the spaces among array elements in terms of genetic algorithm ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2226-2230, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.850739
16. Mattsson, E., Thinned Phased Arrays, Ph.D. thesis at Chalmers, Nr 40, 1972.
17. Rattan, M., M. S. Patterh, and B. S. Sohi, "Antenna array optimization using evolutionary approaches," Apeiron, Vol. 15, No. 1, 78-93, 2008.
18. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299602
19. Haupt, R. L. and D. H. Werner, Genetic Algorithms in Electromagnetics, Hoboken, Wiley, 2007.
20. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antenn. Propag. M., Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-21, 1997. doi:10.1109/74.632992
21. Haupt, R. L. and S. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, Wiley-Intersci., New York, 1998.
22. Bukhsh, W. A., Optimization Alogrithms for Low Sidelobe Level Antenna Array Synthesis with Application to Satellite Communications, Technical Report TRITA-EE 2010:005, School of Electrical Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, 2010.