This paper proposes magnetostatic analysis of Switched Reluctance Motor (SRM) under angular misalignment fault to evaluate the performance of the motor under different operating conditions. In this analysis three-dimensional finite element method (FEM) is used to simulate reliable and precise model by considering the complex motor magnetic geometry, end effects, axial fringing effects as well as nonlinear properties of the magnetic materials. The FE analysis is performed to obtain the static magnetic characteristics of SRM including flux density, flux linkages, terminal inductance and mutual inductance profile under different rotor positions for different varying degree of faults. Consequently, it presents assessing the features of mutual inductance in inactive phases to study the variations of diagnosis index. The results obtained present useful information regarding the detection of fault and its direction as well as the amount of angular misalignment fault in the motor. To the best knowledge of the authors, such an analysis has not been carried out previously.
1. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Hybrid method of obtaining degrees of freedom for radial airgap length in SRM under normal and faulty conditions based on magnetiostatic model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 37-54, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09111108
2. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Magnetio static field analysis regarding the effects of dynamic eccentricity in switched reluctance motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 163-180, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09060205
3. Afjei, E. and H. Torkaman, "The novel two phase field-assisted hybrid SRG: Magnetio static field analysis, simulation, and experimental confirmation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 25-42, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09082404
4. Husain, I., A. Radun, and J. Nairus, "Fault analysis and excitation requirements for switched reluctance generators," IEEE Power Engineering Review, Vol. 22, No. 2, 57-58, 2002. doi:10.1109/MPER.2002.4311983
5. Miller, T. J. E., "Faults and unbalanced forces in the switched reluctance machine," IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications, Vol. 31, 319-328, 1995. doi:10.1109/28.370280
6. Babic, S. I., F. Sirois, and C. Akyel, "Validity check of mutual inductance formulas for circular filaments with lateral and angular misalignments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 15-26, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09060105
7. Dorrell, D. G., "Sources and characteristics of unbalanced magnetic pull in 3-phase cage induction motors with axial-varying rotor eccentricity," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, ECCE, San Jose, California, 2009.
8. Lundin, U. and A. Wolfbrandt, "Method for modeling time-dependent nonuniform rotor/stator configurations in electrical machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 7, 2976-2980, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2015052
9. Heidrich, P. and R. Hanitsch, "Simulation of a completely controlled switched reluctance drive with eccentric rotor using a time-stepping technique realised outside numerical field calculation programs," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 32, No. 3, 1565-1568, 1996. doi:10.1109/20.497550
10. Li, J., D. Choi, and Y. Cho, "Analysis of rotor eccentricity in switched reluctance motor with parallel winding using FEM," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 6, 2851-2854, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2018694
11. Zhu, Z. Q., et al., Significance of vibration modes in noise and vibration generation of switched reluctance motors, Sixth Inter. Conf. on Electrical Machines and Systems, ICEMS, 2003.
12. Chindurza, I., D. G. Dorrell, and C. Cossar, Non-invasive fault diagnosis for switched-reluctance machines with incorrect winding turns, inter-turn winding faults and eccentric rotors, Fifth International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, PEDS, 2003.
13. Chindurza, I., D. G. Dorrell, and C. Cossar, Vibration analysis of a switched-reluctance machine with eccentric rotor, Second International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives, PEMD, 2004.
14. Briso-Montiano, J. R., R. Karrelmeyer, and E. Dilger, Simulation of faults by means of finite element analysis in a switched reluctance motor, Multiphysics Conference, Comsol, Inc., Frankfurt, USA, 2005.
15. Dorrell, D. G., I. Chindurza, and C. Cossar, "Effects of rotor eccentricity on torque in switched reluctance machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 10, 3961-3963, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.855178
16. Dorrell, D. G. and C. Cossar, "A vibration-based condition monitoring system for switched reluctance machine rotor eccentricity detection," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 9, 2204-2214, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.2000498
17. Garrigan, N. R., et al., Radial force characteristics of a switched reluctance machine, IEEE Industry Applications Conference, Thirty-Fourth IAS Annual Meeting, 1999.
18. Jinghua, J., et al., "Calculation and remedial strategy of radial force of switched reluctance motors with eccentricity," nternational Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, ICEMS, 2008.
19. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Comprehensive study of 2-D and 3-D finite element analysis of a switched reluctance motor," Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 15, 2758-2763, 2008. doi:10.3923/jas.2008.2758.2763
20. Afjei, E., A. Seyadatan, and H. Torkaman, "A new two phase bidirectional hybrid switched reluctance motor/field-assisted generator," Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 4, 765-770, 2009. doi:10.3923/jas.2009.765.770
21. Toulabi, M. S., H. Torkaman, and E. Afjei, Magnetostatic analysis of a novel switched reluctance generator, IEEE 1st Power Electronic and Drive Systems and Technologies Conference, PEDSTC, Tehran, Iran, 2010.
22. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Comprehensive magnetic field-based study on effects of static rotor eccentricity in switched reluctance motor parameters utilizing three-dimensional finite element," Electromagnetics, Vol. 29, No. 5, 421-433, 2009. doi:10.1080/02726340902953354
23. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Comparison of the coulombian and amperian current models for calculating the magnetic field produced by radially magnetized arc-shaped permanent magnets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 309-327, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09042105
24. Panda, D. K. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. R. Choudhury, "Analysis of co-channel interference at waveguide joints using multiple cavity modeling technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 91-98, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08042704
25. Lu, H. H., C. H. Lee, P. W. Ko, C. H. Kuo, C. C. Liu, H. B. Wu, and J. S. Shin, "Direct-detection bidirectional radio-on-DWDM transport systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 875-884, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788355199
26. Zhang, Y. J. and E. P. Li, "Scattering of three-dimensional chiral objects above a perfect conducting plane by hybrid finite element method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 11, 1535-1546, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775701813
27. Pingenot, J., R. N. Rieben, D. A. White, and D. G. Dudley, "Full wave analysis of RF signal attenuation in a lossy rough surface cave using a high order time domain vector finite element method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1695-1705, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292408
28. Ozgun, O. and M. Kuzuoglu, "Finite element analysis of electromagnetic scattering problems via iterative leap-field domain decomposition method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2-3, 251-266, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160668
29. Zhang, Y., X. Wei, and E. Li, "Electromagnetic scattering from three-dimensional bianisotropic objects using hybrid finite element-boundary integral method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1549-1563, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042954857
30. Wang, Q. and X.-W. Shi, "An improved algorithm for matrix bandwidth and profile reduction in finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 29-38, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09042305
31. Tai, C.-C. and Y.-L. Pan, "Finite element method simulation of photoinductive imaging for cracks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 53-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07122807
32. San-Blas, A. A., F. Mira, J. Gil, V. E. Boria, and B. Gimeno Martinez, "Efficient analysis and design of compensated turnstile junctions using advanced modal techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 21-30, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09082002
33. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "The three exact components of the magnetic field created by a radially magnetized tile permanent magnet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 307-319, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08112708
35. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, S. I. Babic, and C. Akyel, "Mutual inductance and force exerted between thick coils ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 367-380, 2010.
36. Steinbauer, M., R. Kubasek, and K. Bartusek, "Numerical method of simulation of material influences in MR tomography," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 205-210, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07120605
37. Suyama, T., Y. Okuno, A. Matsushima, and M. Ohtsu, "A numerical analysis of stop band characteristics by multilayered dielectric gratings with sinusoidal profile," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 83-102, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07110301
38. Urbani, F., "Numerical analysis of periodic planar structures on uniaxial substrates for miniaturization purposes ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 131-136, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08111303