In this paper, a three dimensional geometrical scattering channel model for indoor and outdoor wireless propagation environments is introduced. It is based on the assumption that the scatterers are distributed within a spheroid, in which the mobile station and base station are located at the spheroid's foci. This model captures both the spatial and temporal statistical distributions of the received multipath signals. Several angle of arrival and time of arrival probability density functions of the received multipath signals are provided in compact forms. The angle of arrival probability density functions are obtained in terms of both the azimuth and elevation angles. Numerical results are presented to illustrate and verify the derived expressions. To validate the model, it has been compared against some available two dimensional models and measured data.
Douglas A. Buchanan,
"Angle and Time of Arrival Statistics of a Three Dimensional Geometrical Scattering Channel Model for Indoor and Outdoor Propagation Environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 109, 191-209, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10081106
1. Liberti, J. C. and T. S. Rappaport, "A geometrically based model for line of sight multipath radio channels," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf., 844-848, Apr. 1996.
2. Norklit, O. and J. Andersen, "Diffuse channel model and experimental results for array antennas in mobile environments," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagt., Vol. 46, No. 6, 834-843, Jun. 1998.
3. Ertel, R. B. and J. H. Reed, "Angle and time of arrival statistics for circular and elliptical scattering models," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 17, 1829-1840, Nov. 1999.
4. Janaswamy, R., "Angle and time of arrival statistics for the Gaussian scatter density model," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 1, 488-497, Jul. 2002.
5. Petrus, P., J. Reed, and T. Rappaport, "Geometrical-based statistical macrocell channel model for mobile environments," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 50, No. 3, 495-502, Mar. 2002.
6. Olenko, A., K. Wong, and M. Abdulla, "Analytically derived TOA-DOA distributions of uplink/downlink wireless-cellular multipaths arisen from scatterers with an inverted-parabolic spatial distribution around the mobile," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 12, No. 7, 516-519, Jul. 2005.
7. Imai, T. and T. Taga, "Statistical scattering model in urban propagation environment," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1081-1093, Jul. 2006.
8. Jiang, L. and S. Y. Tan, "Geometrically based statistical channel models for outdoor and indoor propagation environments," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 56, No. 6, 3587-3593, Nov. 2007.
9. Khan, N. M., M. T. Simsim, and P. B. Rapajic, "A generalized model for the spatial characteristics of the cellular mobile channel," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, No. 1, 22-37, Jan. 2008.
10. Mahmoud, S. S., F. S. Al-Qahtani, Z. M. Hussain, and A. Gopalakrishnan, "Spatial and temporal statistics for the geometrical-based hyperbolic macrocell channel model," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 18, No. 2, 151-167, Mar. 2008.
11. Le, K. N., "On angle-of-arrival and time-of-arrival statistics of geometric scattering channels," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 58, No. 8, 4257-4264, Oct. 2009.
12. Chen, Y., Z. Zhang, L. Hu, and P. Rapajic, "Geometry-based statistical model for radio propagation in rectangular office buildings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 187-212, 2009.
13. Chen, Y., Z. Zhang, and T. Qin, "Geometrically based channel model for indoor radio propagation with directional antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 109-124, 2010.
14. Janaswamy, R., "Angle of arrival statistics for a 3D spheroid model," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1242-1247, Sep. 2002.
15. Olenko, A. Y., K. T.Wong, S. A. Qasmi, and J. Ahmadi-Shokouh, "Analytically derived uplink/downlink TOA and 2D DOA distributions with scatterers in a 3D hemispheroid surrounding the mobile," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2446-2454, Sep. 2006.
16. Baltzis, K. B. and J. N. Sahalos, "A simple 3D geometric channel model for macrocell mobile communication," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 51, No. 2, 329-347, Oct. 2008.
17. Nawaz, S. J., B. H. Qureshi, and N. M. Khan, "A generalized 3D scattering model for macrocell environment with directional antenna at BS," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 59, No. 7, 3193-3204, Sep. 2010.
18. Fuhl, J., J. P. Rossi, and E. Bonek, "High-resolution 3D direction-of-arrival determination for urban mobile radio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 672-682, Apr. 1997.
19. Kuchar, A., J. P. Rossi, and E. Bonek, "Directional macro-cell channel characterization from urban measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 48, No. 2, 137-146, 2000.
20. Laurila, J., K. Kalliola, M. Toeltsch, K. Hugl, P. Vainikainen, and E. Bonek, "Wide-band 3D characterization of mobile radio channels in urban environment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 50, No. 2, 233-243, Feb. 2002.
21. Kalliola, K., H. Laitinen, P. Vainikainen, M. Toeltsch, J. Laurila, and E. Bonek, "3D double-directional radio channel characterization for urban macrocellular applications," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 11, 3122-3133, Nov. 2003.
22. Gurrieri, L. E., T. J. Willink, A. Petosa, and S. Noghanian, "Characterization oCharacterization of the angle, delay and polarization off the angle, delay and polarization of multipath signals for indoor environments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2710-2719, Aug. 2008.
23. Liberti, J. C. and T. S. Rappaport, Smart Antennas for Wireless Communcations: IS-95 and Third Generation CDMA Applications, Prentice Hall, 1999.
24. Pedersen, K. I., "A stochastic model of the temporal and azimuthal dispersion seen at the base station in outdoor propagation environments," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 49, 437-447, Mar. 2000.
25. Spencer, Q. H., B. D. Jeffs, M. A. Jensen, and A. L. Swindlehurst, "Modeling the statistical time and angle of arrival characteristics of an indoor multipath channel," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 18, No. 3, 347-360, Mar. 2000.
26. Cramer, R. J.-M., R. A. Scholtz, and M. Z. Win, "Evaluation of an ultrawideband propagation channel," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 50, No. 5, 561-570, May 2002.