A compact-size planar antenna with ultra-wideband (UWB) bandwidth and directional patterns is presented. The antenna can be fabricated on a printed circuit board (PCB). On one side of the PCB, it has a circular patch, and on the other side it has a slot-embedded ground plane with a fork-shaped feeding stub in the slot. Directional radiation is achieved by using a reflector below the antenna. To reduce the thickness of the antenna, a new low-profile antenna configuration is proposed. Three types of directional UWB antennas are analyzed. The distance between the antenna and the reflector is 12 mm (0.16 λ0, λ0 is the free space wavelength at the lowest frequency). In order to validate the design, a prototype is also fabricated and measured. Measured results agree well with the simulated ones. The measured results confirm that the proposed antenna features a reflection coefficient below -10 dB over the UWB range from 4.2 GHz to 8.5 GHz, a maximum gain around 9 dBi, a front-to-back ratio over 17 dB and pulse fidelity higher than 90% in the time domain. Thus it is promising for see-through-wall imaging applications.
8. Yang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "Development and implementation of a real-time see-through-wall radar system based on FPGA," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 47, No. 5, 1270-1280, 2009.
9. New public safety applications and broadband internet access among uses envisioned by FCC authorization of UWB technology Federal Communications Commission, February 14, 2002.
10., "Electronic communications --- The wireless telegraphy (UWB equipment) Regulations 2007," Statutory Instruments, No. 2084, the Office of Communications, UK, July 20, 2007.
11. Chandra, R., A. N. Gaikwad, D. Singn, and M. J. Nigam, "An approach to remove the clutter and detect the target for ultra-wideband through-wall imaging ," J. Geophys. Eng., Vol. 5, 412-419, 2008.
12. Dehmollaian, M., M. Thiel, and K. Sarabandi, "Through-the-wall imaging using differential SAR," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 47, No. 5, 2009.
13. Yang, Y., C. Zhang, and A. E. Fathy, "Development and implementation of ultra-wideband see-through-wall imaging system based on sampling oscilloscope," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 465-468, 2008.
14. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008.
15. Low, X. N., Z. N. Chen, and W. K. Toh, "Ultra-wideband suspended plate antenna with enhanced impedance and radiation performance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2490-2495, 2008.
16. Wong, H., K. M. Mak, and K. M. Luk, "Directional wideband shorted bowtie antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 8, 2006.
17. Wong, H., K. M. Mak, and K. M. Luk, "Wideband shorted bowtie patch antenna with electric dipole," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2098-2011, 2008.
18. Chin, C. H. K., Q. Xue, and H. Wong, "Broadband patch antenna with a folded plate pair as a differential feeding scheme," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2461-2467, 2007.
19. Li, R., D. Thompson, M. M. Tentzeris, J. Laskar, and J. Papapolymerou, "Development of a wideband short backfire antenna excited by an unbalance-fed H-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 662-671, 2005.
20. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna with pattern improvement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3850-3854, 2008.
21. Qu, S. W., C. H. Chan, and Q. Xue, "Ultra-wideband composite cavity-backed folded sectorial bowtie antenna with stable pattern and high gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2478-2483, 2009.
22. Siu, L. and K. M. Luk, "Unidirectional antenna with loaded dielectric substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 50-53, 2008.
23. Elsherbini, A. and K. Sarabandi, "Directive coupled sectorial loops antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 576-579, 2009.
24. Kwag, Y. K., A. D. Hassanein, and D. J. Edwards, "A high-directive bowtie radar antenna with a pyramidal reflector for ultra-wideband radar imaging applications," Microw. Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 2, 387-390, 2009.
25. Midrio, M., S. Boscolo, F. Sacchetto, F. M. Pigozzo, and A. D. Capobianco, "Novel ultra-wideband bow tie antenna with high front-to-back ratio and directivity," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1016-1020, 2010.
26. Ito, Y., M. Ameya, M. Yamamoto, and T. Nojima, "Unidirectional UWB array antenna using leaf-shaped bowtie elements and flat reflector," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 1, 2008.
27. Habib, M. A., A. Bostani, A. Djaiz, M. Nedil, M. C. E. Yagoubm, and T. A. Denidni, "Ultra wideband cpw-fed aperture antenna with WLAN band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 17-31, 2010.
28. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
29. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
30. Hu, Y.-S., M. Li, G.-P. Gao, J.-S. Zhang, and M.-K. Yang, "A double-printed trapezoidal patch dipole antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 259-269, 2010.
31. Abbosh, A. M., M. E. Bialkowski, J. Mazierska, and M. V. Jacob, "A planar UWB antenna with signal rejection capability in the 4-6 GHz band," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 2006.
32. Ren, Y. J., C. P. Lai, P. H. Chen, and R. M. Narayanan, "Compact ultra-wideband UHF array antenna for through-wall radar applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1302-1305, 2009.
33. Klemm, M., I. Z. Kovcs, G. F. Pedersen, and G. Troster, "Novel small-size directional antenna for UWB WBAN/WPAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3884-3896, 2005.
34. Lin, Y. C. and K. J. Hung, "Compact ultra-wideband rectangular aperture antenna and band-notched designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3075-3081, 2006.
35. Allen, B., M. Dohler, E. E. Okon, W. Q. Malik, A. K. Brown, and D. J. Edwards, "Ultra-wideband Antennas and Propagation for Communications, Radar and Imaging,", 134-135, Wiley, 2007.
36. Chen, C. C. and J. L. Volakis, "Bandwidth broadening of patch antennas using non-uniform substrates," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 5, 421-423, 2005.
37. Chung, S. W. J., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, and P. S. Excell, "Wideband loaded wire bow-tie antenna for near field imaging using genetic algorithms," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 5, 591-595, 2008.
38. Yang, Y. Y., Q. X. Chu, and Z. A. Zheng, "Time domain characteristics of band-notched ultra-wideband antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3426-3430, 2009.