In this paper, it is demonstrated how anisotropic and inhomogeneous magnetic metamaterials may be used for molding the flow of the magnetic field, considering magnetic field shielding as the main application of practical interest. It is shown that using anisotropic materials, magnetic field shielding may be improved, and this anisotropy can be realized by metamaterials. Introducing additional inhomogeneity in the metamaterial can increase the shielding performance even more. The required parameters for inhomogeneity may be obtained by representing the shielding problem in matrix form, using a quasi-static magnetic field approximation. Finally, some comments on the practical implementation of the metamaterial and comparisons with the standard shielding techniques are given.
Christian V. Hafner,
"Molding the Flow of Magnetic Field with Metamaterials: Magnetic Field Shielding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 126, 303-316, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12022010
1. Cornelis, K. and C. S. Hurlbut, Manual of Mineralogy, Wiley, New York, 1985.
2. Hafner, C., "Multiple multipole program computation of periodic structures," JOSA A, Vol. 12, No. 5, 1057-1067, 1995. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.12.001057
6. Sacks, Z. S., D. M. Kingsland, R. Lee, and J.-F. Lee, "Perfectly matched anisotropic absorber for use as an absorbing boundary condition," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 12, December 1995. doi:10.1109/8.477075
7. Cheng, X. X., H. S. Chen, and X. M. Zhang, "Cloaking a perfectly conducting sphere with rotationally uniaxial nihility media in monostatic radar system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 285-298, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09112002
8. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
9. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1133628
10. Solymar, L. and E. Shamonina, Waves in Metamaterials, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2009.
11. Cui, T. J., D. R. Smith, and R. Liu, Metamaterials: Theory, Design and Application, Chapter 5, Springer, New York, 2010.
12. Jelinek, L. and J. Machac, "An FET-based unit cell for an active magnetic metamaterial," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 927-930, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2167311
13. Horton, W. F. and S. Goldberg, Power Frequency Magnetic Fields and Public Health, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1995.
14. Shamonina, E. and L. Solymar, "Diamagnetic properties of metamaterials: A magnetostatic analogy," European Physical Journal B, Vol. 41, No. 3, 307-312, 2004. doi:10.1140/epjb/e2004-00322-7
15. Yen, T. J., W. J. Padilla, N. Fang, D. C. Vier, D. R. Smith, J. B. Pendry, D. N. Basov, and X. Zhang, "Terahertz magnetic response from artificial materials," Science, Vol. 303, No. 5663, 1494-1496, March 5, 2004. doi:10.1126/science.1094025
16. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, Nov. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
17. Shamonina, E. and L. Solymar, "Metamaterials: How the subject started,", Vol. 1, No. 1, 12-18, March 2007, ISSN 1873-1988.
21. Walling, R. A., J. J. Paserba, and C. W. Burns, "Series-capacitor compensated shield scheme for enhanced mitigation of transmission line magnetic fields," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 8, No. 1, 461-469, January 1993.
22. Gonzaez-Posadas, V., D. Segovia-Vargas, E. Ugarte-Munoz, J. L. Jimenez-Martin, and L. E. Garcia-Munoz, "On the performance of negative impedance converters (NICs) to achieve active metamaterials," ICECom, 2010 Conference Proceedings, 1-4, September 20-23, 2010. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1099-047X(199803)8:2<86::AID-MMCE3>3.0.CO;2-E
23. Sussman-Fort, S. E., "Gyrator-based biquad filters and negative impedance converters for microwaves," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 2, 86-101, March 1998.
24. Tellegen, B. D. H., The Gyrator, A New Electric Network Element, Philips Research Laboratories, Netherlands, 1948.
26. Kim, S.-B., J.-Y. Soh, K.-Y. Shin, J.-H. Jeong, and S.-H. Myung, "Magnetic shielding performance of thin metal sheets near power cables," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 2, 682-685, February 2010.
27. Riba Ruiz, J. R. and X. A. Morera, "Experimental behavior of a magnetic field shield for an underground power line," International Conference on Renewable Energies and Power Quality, 2005. doi:10.1109/61.660875