A a new compact ultrawideband (UWB) patch antenna based on the resonance mechanism of a composite right/left-handed (CRLH) transmission line (TL) is proposed. The radiating element of the antenna is made from three left-handed (LH) metamaterial (MTM) unit cells placed along one axis, where each unit cell combines a modified split-ring resonator (SRR) structure with capacitively loaded strips (CLS). An analysis of the eigenfrequencies of these unit cells yields one- and two-dimensional dispersion diagrams, which correspond to one-unit cell antenna and the three unit-cell antenna, respectively. A trident feed and a slotted-partial ground plane are used to match the right-and left-handed (RH and LH) modes of the antenna, respectively. In addition, an analysis of the surface current distribution of the antenna shows that, slots on the metallic area reduce the Q-factor. This recdution in the Q-factor results in a wide bandwidth of 189% at 3.7 GHz, which spans the UWB frequency range between 2.9-9.9 GHz. The total footprint of the antenna at the lowest frequency is 0.2λ0 x 0.2λ0 x 0.015λ0, where λ0 is the free space wavelength. The gain of the antenna ranges between -1 to 5 dB throughout the frequency band.
Mimi Aminah Wan Nordin,
Mohammad Tariqul Islam,
"Design of a Compact Ultrawideband Metamaterial Antenna Based on the Modified Split-Ring Resonator and Capacitively Loaded Strips Unit Cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 157-173, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12100708
1. Xu, F., Z.-X. Wang, X. Chen, and X.-A. Wang, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on spiral electromagnetic-bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 393-409, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB12021607
2. Tilanthe, P., P. C. Sharma, and T. K. Bandopadhyay, "A compact UWB antenna with dual band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 389-405, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11092204
3. Khaled, E. E. M., A. A. R. Saad, and D. A. Salem, "A proximity-FED annular slot antenna with di®erent a band-notch manipulations for ultra-wide band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, 289-306, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB11103102
4. Chen, H., Y. Ding, and D. S. Cai, "A CPW-fed UWB antenna with WiMAX/WLAN band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 25, 163-173, 2011.
5. Lin, S., R.-N. Cai, G.-L. Huang, and J.-X. Wang, "A miniature UWB semi-circle monopole printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 157-163, 2011.
6. Islam, M. T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-notched planar UWB antenna using parasitic strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, 2012.
7. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "A compact band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 24, 129-138, 2011.
8. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. A. Rahim, M. Azfar, N. A. Samsuri, F. Zubir, and K. Kamardin, "Design, implementation and performance of ultra-wideband textile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 307-325, 2011.
9. Zhou, D., S.-C. S. Gao, F. Zhu, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J.-D. Xu, "A simple and compact planar ultra wideband antenna with single or dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 47-65, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11101104
10. Malik, J. and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Metamaterial inspired patch antenna with L-shape slot loaded ground plane for dual band (WiMAX/WLAN) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 35-43, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12021908
11. Mahdy, M. R. C., M. R. A. Zuboraj, A. A. N. Ovi, and M. A. Matin, "Novel design of triple band rectangular patch antenna loaded with metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 99-107, 2011.
12. Jing, N., H. Zhao, and L. Huang, "A novel design of planar spiral antenna with metamaterial," PIERS Proceedings, 725-728, Xi'an, China, Mar. 22-26, 2010.
13. Mahdy, M. R. C., M. R. A. Zuboraj, A. A. N. Ovi, and M. A. Matin, "Novel concept of ENG metamaterial in rectangular microstrip patch antenna (partially loaded case) for dual band application," PIERS Proceedings, 920-923, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
14. Du, G.-H., X. Tang, and F. Xiao, "Tri-band metamaterial-inspired monopole antenna with modified S-shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 39-48, 2011.
15. Lee, H.-M. and H. Lee, "A dual-band metamaterial absorber based with resonant-magnetic structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 1-12, 2012.
16. Danaeifar, M., M. Kamyab, A. Jafargholi, and M. Veysi, "Bandwidth enhancement of a class of cloaks incorporating metamaterials ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 37-44, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11093005
17. Lee, C. J., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line based compact resonant antennas for RF module integration ," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2283-2291, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879199
18. Lee, C. J., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Design of resonant small antenna using composite right/left-handed transmission line," Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 2B, 2005.
19. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications --- The Engineering Approach, Wiley Interscience, 2006. doi:10.1002/0471754323
20. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, Apr. 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
21. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/MMW.2004.1337766
22. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced non-linear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, Feb. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
24. Majid, H. A., M. K. A Rahim, and T. Masri, "Microstrip antenna's gain enhancement using left-handed metamaterial structure," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 8, 235-247, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09071301
25. Tang, W. X., Q. Cheng, and T. J. Cui, "Electric and magnetic responses from metamaterial unit cells at Terahertz," Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 1, Mar. 2009.
26. Li, L., H. Yao, Q. Wu, and Z. Chen, "Broad-bandwidth and low-loss metamaterials: Theory, design and realization," J. Zhejiang Univ. Science A, Vol. 7, No. 1, 5-23, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1631/jzus.2006.A0005
27. Palandoken, M., A. Grede, and H. Henke, "Broadband microstrip antenna with left-handed metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 2, 331-338, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2011230
28. Liu, J., K. P. Esselle, and S. Zhong, "An extremely wideband rectangular monopole antenna with a modified microstrip feed," Proc. Antennas and Propagation, (EuCAP), 1-5, Apr. 2010.
29. Yaghjian, A. D. and S. R. Best, "Impedance, bandwidth, and Q of antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1298-1324, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.844443
30. Gustafsson, M. and S. Nordebo, "Bandwidth, Q factor, and resonance models of antennas," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 62, 1-20, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06033003
31. Yang, H. Y. D. and Y. Y. Zhang, "A wideband miniaturized dipole antenna on a printed circuit board," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 10, 175-185, 2009.
32. Chen, Z. N., T. S. P. See, and X. Qing, "Small printed ultrawideband antennas with reduced ground plane effect," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 2, 383-388, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889823
33. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Kharakhili, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06082901
34. Hayt, Jr., W. H. and J. A. Buck, Engineering Electromagnetics, 6th Ed., McGraw Hill, 2001.
35. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas for All Applications, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, 2003.