Magnetic induction tomography (MIT) is a tomographic technique utilising inductive coils and eddy currents to map the passive electromagnetic properties of an object. Eddy current methods are widely used for non-destructive testing (NDT) in inspection of metallic structures. Eddy current based NDT uses a single coil or a pair of coils to scan the samples. As an emerging NDT technique, MIT scans the sample with a coil array through an eddy current based tomographic approach. In this paper, a planar array MIT system (PMIT) is proposed for 3D near subsurface imaging. This is of great importance as there are large numbers of potential applications for MIT that allow limited access to the materials under testing. The system development, practical implication, capability and limitations of PMIT are discussed. The fundamental principles are demonstrated through simulations. Experimental data are used to evaluate the capability and detectability this system has as a potential 3D subsurface imaging tool.
1. Wei, , H.-Y. , M. Soleimani, and , "Two-phase low conductivity °ow imaging using magnetic induction tomography," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 97-115, 2012.
2. Ma, L., , H.-Y. Wei, and M. Soleimani, "Pipeline inspection using magnetic induction tomography based on a narrowband pass filtering method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 23, 65-78, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM11111109
3. Lyon, , G. M., Z. Z. Yu, A. J. Peyton, and M. S. Beck, "Developments in electro-magnetic tomography instrumentation," IEEE Colloguium on Advances in Electrical Tomography, Vol. 12, 1-4, 1993.
4. Ma, , X., , A. J. Peyton, S. R. Higson, A. Lyons, and S. J. Dickinson, "Hardware and software design for an electromagnetic induction tomography (EMT) system for high contrast metal process applications," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 17, No. 1, 111-118, 2006. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/17/1/018
5. Peyton, , A. J., , Z. Z. Yu, G. Lyon, S. Al-Zeibak, J. Ferreira, J. Velez,F. Linhares, A. R. Borges, H. L. Xiong, N. H. Saunders, and M. S. Beck, "An overview of electromagnetic induction tomogra- phy: Description of three different systems," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 7, 261-271, 1996. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/7/3/006
6. Yu, , Z. Z., A. J. Peyton, W. F. Conway, L. A. Xu, and M. S. Beck, "Imaging system based on electromagnetic tomography (EMT)," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 7, 625-626, 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19930418
7. Korjenevsky, , A., , V. Cherepenin, and S. Sapetsky, "Magnetic induction tomography: Experimental realization," Physiological Measurement, Vol. 21, No. 1, 89, 2000. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/21/1/311
8. Ramli, , S. , A. J. Peyton, and , "Feasibility study of planar-array electromagnetic inductance tomography (EMT)," 1st World Congress on Industrial Process Tomography, 1999..
9. Mukhopadhyay, , S. C., S. Yamada, and M. Iwahara, "Inspection of electro-plated materials-performance comparison with planar meander and mesh type magnetic sensor," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 15, No. 1, 323-330, 2002.
10. Mukhopadhyay, S. C., , S. Yamada, and M. Iwahara, "Investigaion of near-surface material properties using planar type meander coil," JSAEM Studies on Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 11, 61-69, 2001.
12. Yin, , W., A. J. Peyton, and , "A planar EMT system for the detection of faults on thin metallic plates," Physiological Measurement, Vol. 17, No. 8, 2130-2135, 2006..
13. Wei, , H. Y., L. Ma, and M. Soleimani, "Volumetric magnetic induction tomography," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 23, No. 5, 055401, 2012. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/23/5/055401
14. Hajihashemi, , M. R., M. El-Shenawee, and , "Inverse scattering of three-dimensional PEC objects using the level-set method Progress In Electromagnetics Research,", Vol. 116, 23-47, 2011.
15. Park, , W.-K., s, "On the imaging of thin dielectric inclusions via topological derivative concept," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 237-252, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10101305
16. Banasiak, , R., Z. Ye, and M. Soleimani, "Improving three-dimensional electrical capacitance tomography imaging using approximation error model theory," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2--3, 411-421, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312800030884
17. AlShehri, , S. A., , S. Khatun, A. B. Jantan, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, R. Mahmood, and Z. Awang, "3D experimental detection and discrimination of malignant and benign breast tumor using NN-based UWB imaging system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 221-237, 2011.
18. Ren, S., W. Chang, T. Jin, and Z. Wang, "Automated SAR reference image preparation for navigation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 535-555, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11091405
19. Wei, , S.-J., X.-L. Zhang, J. Shi, and G. Xiang, "Sparse econstruction for SAR imaging based on compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 63-81, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10080805
20. Chang, Y.-L., , C.-Y. Chiang, and K.-S. Chen, "SAR image simulation with application to target recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 35-57, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11061507
21. Merwa, , R., H. Scharfetter, and , "Magnetic-induction-tomography: Evaluation of the point-spread-function and analysis of resolution and image distortion," Physiological Measurement,, Vol. 28, 313-324, 2007. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/28/7/S24
22. Dyck, D. N., , D. A. Lowther, and E. M. Freeman, "A method of computing the sensitivity of the electromagnetic quantities to changes in the material and sources," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics,, Vol. 30, 3415-3418, 1994. doi:10.1109/20.312672
24. Ktistis, , C., , D. W. Armitage, and A. J. Peyton, "Calculation of the forward problem for absolute image reconstruction in mit," Physiological Measurement, , Vol. 29, S455-S464, 2008.. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/29/6/S38
25. Soleimani, , M., W. R. B. Lionheart, and , "Image reconstruction in three-dimensional magnetostatic permeability tomography," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, 1274-1279, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.845158
26. Soleimani, , M., , W. R. B. Lionheart, A. J. Peyton, X. Ma, and S. R. Higson, "A three-dimensional inverse finite-element method applied to experimental eddy-current imaging data," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 5, 1560-1567, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.871255
27. Ziolkowski, , M., , S. Gratkowski, and R. Palka, , "Solution of three dimensional inverse problem of magnetic induction tomography using Tikhonov regularization method," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, , Vol. 30, No. 3--4, 245-253, 2009.
28. Adler, , A., , J. H. Arnold, R. Bayford, A. Borsic, B. Brwon, P. Dixon, T. J. C. Faes, I. Frerichs, H. Gagnon, Y. Garbr, B. Grychtol, G. Hahn, and , "Greit: A uni¯ed approach to 2D linear EIT reconstruction of lung images," Physiological Measurement,, Vol. 30, S33-S55, 2009.