This paper introduces a theoretical analysis as well as a design example for bandpass filters (BPF) with a distinctive topology. Based on the analysis of simple two-port symmetrical lossless networks with a parallel structure, a method for obtaining normalized BPF prototypes with desired bandwidths was developed. These prototypes can be scaled to any central frequency and symmetrical real termination in the same way as conventional filters. It is also demonstrated that with a slight modification of the basic BPF prototypes, transmission zeros with controllable frequencies can be introduced in both the lower and the upper stopband region. Such modified prototypes are more convenient for the realization of printed filters than the basic BPF prototypes. The proposed filters have almost identical characteristics in the broad vicinity of the passband region either when composed of ideal lumped elements or of transmission lines (TLs). Due to its simplicity, the proposed concept could be applied for the realization of a printed BPF at a large variety of PCB types, substrates and practical design configurations. A microstrip BPF model is realized for the experimental verification of the presented theory. The measured and theoretical results show excellent agreement, confirming the proposed concept and the exactness of the methodology.
"Theory and Realization of Simple Bandpass Filters with Antiparallel Configuration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 101-122, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12112807
1. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance Matching Networks and Coupling Structures, McGraw Hill, 1965.
2. Hong, J. S., Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2011.
3. Osipenkov, V. and S. G. Vesnin, "Microwave filters of parallel cascade structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 7, 1360-1367, Jul. 1994. doi:10.1109/22.299730
4. Tsai, C.-M., S.-Y. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Performance of a planar filter using a 0o feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2362-2367, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.803421
5. Zhu, Y.-Z. and Y.-J. Xie, "Novel microstrip bandpass filters with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 29-41, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072301
6. Zhang, J., J.-Z. Gu, B. Cui, and X.-W. Sun, "Compact and harmonic suppression open-loop resonator bandpass filter with tri-section SIR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 93-100, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06120702
7. Dai, G. and M. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120401
8. Lee, S.-Y. and C.-M. Tsai, "New cross-coupled filter design using improved hairpin resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2482-2490, Dec. 2000. doi:10.1109/22.899002
9. Namsang, A. and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A microstrip bandpass filter using asymmetrical stepped-impedance resonators," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2007, 1-4, Dec. 11-14, 2007.
10. Kuo, J.-T. and E. Shih, "Microstrip stepped impedance resonator bandpass filter with an extended optimal rejection bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4, 1154-1159, 2003.
11. Chen, W.-N., W.-K. Chia, C.-F. Yang, and C.-L. Shih, "Improving the coupling characteristics of bandpass filters by using multilayer structure and defect ground units," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2007, 1-3, Dec. 11-14, 2007.
12. Chu, Q.-X. and H. Wang, "Planar quasi-elliptic filters with inline EM coupled open-loop resonators," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Art of Miniaturizing RF and Microwave Passive Components, 47-50, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/IMWS.2008.4782258
13. Krongkitsiri, W., C. Mahatthanajatuphat, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Wideband bandpass filters using parallel-coupled sirs with wide spurious supprre-ssion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 69-83, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11120610
14. Lee, K. C., H. T. Su, and M. K. Haldar, "Compact microstrip bandpass filters using triple-mode resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 89-98, 2012.
15. Jovanovic, S. and A. Nesic, "Microstrip bandpass filter with new type of capacitive coupled resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 1, 19-21, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057267
16. Jovanovic, S. and A. Nesic, "Printed band-pass filter at L band," 14th IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit, Dresden, Jun. 19-23, 2005.
17. Jovanovic, S. and A. Nesic, "A new microstrip bandpass filter for UHF range," 7th TELSIKS 2005, Vol. 1, 167-169, Niš, Serbia, Sep. 28-30, 2005.
18. Jovanovic, S. and A. Nesic, "New filter type suitable for miniature printed bandpass filters at RF & microwave frequencies," European Microwave Conference, 25-28, Paris, Oct. 3-7, 2005.
19. Jovanovic, S. and A. Nesic, "Capacitive coupled microstrip band-pass filter with asymmetrically capacitive loaded resonators," Mediterranean Microwave Symposium MMS 2007, 113-116, Budapest, Hungary, May 14-16, 2007.
20. Prabhu, S., J. S. Mandeep, and S. Jovanovic, "Microstrip bandpass filter at S band using capacitive coupled resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 223-228, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071205
21. Mandeep, J. S., S. Prabhu, and S. Jovanovic, "Design of capacitive coupled resonator microstrip filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 2, 460-462, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23094
22. Jovanovic, S., "An overview of microwave bandpass filters with capacitive coupled resonator," Microwave Review, Vol. 16, No. 2.
23. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., John Wiley&Sons, New York, 2011.
24. Rautio, J. C., "Measurement of uniaxial anisotropy in Rogers RO3010 substrate material," IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronics Systems, COMCAS 2009, 1-4, Nov. 9-11, 2009. doi:10.1109/COMCAS.2009.5386053