One miniaturized multilayer dual-band bandpass filter (BPF) is developed using standard low temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) technology. The filter makes use of four double-folded substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) resonators. Two sets of coupling paths between the source and load are implemented to generate dual-band responses. Utilizing this method, the two passbands can operate at independent frequencies and the bandwidth can be easily controlled. High isolation is obtained between two passbands, and two pairs of transmission zeros close to the passband edges are generated by source-load coupling, resulting in high skirt-selectivity. Good agreement between the simulated and measured results of the filter sample is obtained, with its high electrical performance validated.
"Design of a Miniaturized Dual-Band Double-Folded Substrate Integrated Waveguide Bandpass Filter with Controllable Bandwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 211-223, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121404
1. Piloto, A., K. Leahy, B. Flanick, and K. A. Zaki, Waveguide filters having a layered dielectric structures, U.S. Patent 5382931, 1995.
2. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Single-substrate integration technique of planar circuits and waveguide filters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 593-596, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807820
3. Zhang, Z. G., Y. Fan, Y. J. Cheng, and Y.-H. Zhang, "A novel multilayer dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide complementary ¯lter with circular and elliptic cavities (SICC and SIEC)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 173-188, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020704
4. Xu, Z. Q., Y. Shi, P. Wang, J. X. Liao, and X. B. Wei, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter with hexagonal resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1521-1527, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.703951
5. Cheng, Y. J., "Substrate integrated waveguide frequency-agile slot antenna and its multibeam application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 153-168, 2012.
6. Zhang, Q.-L., W.-Y. Yin, S. He, and L.-S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110307
7. Chen, G. L., T. L. Owens, and J. H. Whealton, "Theoretical study of the folded waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 16, No. 2, 305-308, 1998. doi:10.1109/27.3829
9. Grigoropoulos, N., B. S. Izquierdo, and P. R. Young, "Substrate integrated folded waveguides (SIFW) and filters," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 12, 829-831, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.860027
10. Che, W. Q., L. Geng, K. Deng, and Y. L. Chow, "Analysis and experiments of compact folded substrate-integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 88-93, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.911955
11. Lin, H. H., "Novel folded resonators and filters," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1277-1280, 2007.
12. Alotaibi, S. K. and J. S. Hong, "Novel substrate integrated folded waveguide filter," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 4, 1111-1114, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23272
13. Shen, T. M., T. Y. Huang, W. H. Wang, and R. B. Wu, "Miniaturized bandpass filters with double-folded substrate integrated waveguide resonators in LTCC," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1774-1782, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2022591
14. Wang, R., L.-S. Wu, and X.-L. Zhou, "Compact folded substrate integrated waveguide cavities and bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 135-147, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08071501
15. Shen, T. M., T. Y. Hung, and R. B. Wu, "Design of a vertically stacked substrate integrated folded-waveguide resonator filter in LTCC ," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2007.
16. Chen, C.-Y. and C.-C. Lin, "The design and fabrication of a highly compact microstrip dual-band bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 299-307, 2011.
17. Kuo, J.-T. and S.-W. Lai, "New dual-band bandpass filter with wide upper rejection band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 371-384, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112304
18. Zhang, X. Y., C. H. Chan, Q. Xue, and B. J. Hu, "Dual-band bandpass filter with controllable bandwidths using two coupling paths," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 11, 616-618, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2066553
19. Dai, G. L., Y. X. Guo, and M. Y. Xia, "Dual-band bandpass filter using parallel short-ended feed scheme," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 6, 325-327, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2047517
20. Song, K., Y. Mo, Y. Xia, S. Hu, and Y. Fan, "Compact dual-passband filter using spiral resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 34, 187-195, 2012.
21. Yang, R. Y., K. Hon, C. Y. Hung, and C. S. Ye, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters using a dual feeding structure and embedded uniform impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 93-102, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10042504
22. Ma, D., Z. Y. Xiao, L. Xiang, X. Wu, C. Huang, and X. Kou, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using folded SIR with two stubs for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 357-364, 2011.
23. Zhou, L., S. Liu, H. F. Zhang, X.-K. Kong, and Y.-N. Guo, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using improved split ring resonators based on stepped impedance resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 57-63, 2011.
24. Chen, W.-Y., M.-H. Weng, S.-J. Chang, H. Kuan, and Y.-H. Su, "A new tri-band bandpass filter for GSM, WiMAX and ultra-wideband responses by using asymmetric stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 365-381, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11122010
25. Chiou, Y.-C. and J.-T. Kuo, "Planar multiband bandpass filter with multimode stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 129-1441, 2011.
26. Chen, X. P., K. Wu, and Z. L. Li, "Dual-band and triple-band substrate integrated waveguide filters with Chebyshev and quasi-elliptic responses," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2569-2578, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909603
27. Chen, B. J., T. M. Shen, and R. B. Wu, "Dual-band vertically stacked laminated waveguide filter design in LTCC technology," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1554-1562, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2020833
28. Shen, W., W. Y. Yin, and X. W. Sun, "Miniaturized dual-band substrate integrated waveguide filter with controllable bandwidths," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 8, 418-420, 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2158412
29. Wang, R., X. L. Zhou, and L. S. Wu, "A folded substrate integrated waveguide cavity filter using novel negative coupling," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 3, 866-871, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24181
30. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, J. Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 2001.
31. Amari, S., U. Rosenberg, and J. Bornemann, "Adaptive synthesis and design of resonator filters with source/load-multi-resonator coupling," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1969-1978, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.801348