Magnetic field shielding at low frequencies is a problem of high importance that is known for a long time. Metamaterials, which are known from fancy applications such as the so-called perfect lens and cloaking, also offer a new way to create efficient magnetic shielding by means of anisotropic metamaterials with low permeability in one direction. Such metamaterials can be constructed by assembling arrays of relatively simple LC circuits. In this paper, we analyze different metamaterials and show how they may be designed. We show that typical resistive losses in the coils and capacitors of the LC circuits reduce the shielding quality. Then, we consider the possibility of active electronic loss compensation and discuss the drawbacks of this concept. After this, we propose a purely passive way that benefits from the inhomogeneity of the magnetic field to be shielded. Finally, we present experimental results, which show the performance of metamaterial shields.
Christian V. Hafner,
"Magnetic Field Shielding by Metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 647-664, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121805
4. Liu, Z., N. Fang, T.-J. Yen, and X. Zhang, "Rapid growth of evanescent wave by a silver superlens," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 83, No. 25, 5184-5186, Dec. 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1636250
5. Fang, N., Z. Liu, T.-J. Yen, and X. Zhang, "Regenerating evanescent waves from a silver superlens," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, No. 7, 682-687, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1364/OE.11.000682
6. Lagarkov, A. N. and V. N. Kissel, "Near-perfect imaging in a focusing system based on a left-handed-material plate," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 7, 077401, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.92.077401
7. Fang, N., H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens," Science, Vol. 308, No. 5721, 534-537, Apr. 2005. doi:10.1126/science.1108759
8. Lee, H., Y. Xiong, N. Fang, W. Srituravanich, S. Durant, M. Ambati, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Realization of optical superlens imaging below the diffraction limit," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 7, 255-255, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1088/1367-2630/7/1/255
9. Zhang, X. and Z. Liu, "Superlenses to overcome the diffraction limit," Nat. Mater., Vol. 7, No. 6, 435-441, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1038/nmat2141
10. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
11. Raton, B., et al. Power Frequency Magnetic Fields and Public Health, CRC Press, 1995.
12. Boyvat, M. and C. V. Hafner, "Molding the flow of magnetic field with metamaterials: Magnetic field shielding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 303-316, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12022010
13. Solymar, L. and E. Shamonina, Waves in Metamaterials, Oxford University Press, 2009.
14. Cui, T. J., D. R. Smith, and R. Liu, Metamaterials: Theory, Design, and Applications, Springer, 2010.
15. Xu, W., W. J. Padilla, and S. Sonkusale, "Loss compensation in Metamaterials through embedding of active transistor based negative differential resistance circuits ," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, No. 20, 22406-22411, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1364/OE.20.022406
16. Dong, Z.-G., H. Liu, T. Li, Z.-H. Zhu, S.-M. Wang, J.-X. Cao, S.-N. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "Optical loss compensation in a bulk left-handed metamaterial by the gain in quantum dots," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 96, No. 4, 044104-044104-3, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3302409
17. Xiao, S., V. P. Drachev, A. V. Kildishev, X. Ni, U. K. Chettiar, H.-K. Yuan, and V. M. Shalaev, "Loss-free and active optical negative-index metamaterials," Nature, Vol. 466, No. 7307, 735-738, Aug. 2010. doi:10.1038/nature09278
18. Soukoulis, C. M. and M. Wegener, "Optical metamaterials --- More bulky and less lossy," Science, Vol. 330, No. 6011, 1633-1634, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1126/science.1198858
19. Jelinek, L. and J. Machac, "An FET-based unit cell for an active magnetic metamaterial," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 927-930, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2167311
20. González-Posadas, V., D. Segovia-Vargas, E. Ugarte-Munoz, J. L. Jiménez-Martn, and L. E. García-Munoz, "On the performance of negative impedance converters (NICs) to achieve active metamaterials," ICECom, 2010 Conference Proceedings, 1-4, 2010.
21. Tretyakov, S. A., "Meta-materials with wideband negative permittivity and permeability," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 163-165, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1387
22. Zhang, S., W. Fan, K. J. Malloy, S. R. J. Brueck, N. C. Panoiu, and R. M. Osgood, "Demonstration of metal-dielectric negative-index metamaterials with improved performance at optical frequencies," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, No. 3, 434-438, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.23.000434
23. Shalaev, V. M., W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar, H.-K. Yuan, A. K. Sarychev, V. P. Drachev, and A. V. Kildishev, "Negative index of refraction in optical metamaterials," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 3356-3358, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1364/OL.30.003356
25. Sussman-Fort, S. E. and R. M. Rudish, "Non-Foster impedance matching of electrically-small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2230-2241, Aug. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2024494
26. Boillat, D. O., T. Friedli, and J. W. Kolar, "Electronically controllable impedance for tuning of active metamaterials," IECON 2011 --- 37th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 1335-1341, 2011. doi:10.1109/IECON.2011.6119502
27. Johnson, D. E., Introduction to Filter Theory, Prentice-Hall, 1976.
28. Bakshi, U. A., Telecommunication Engineering, Technical Publications, 2009.
29. Shamonina, E. and L. Solymar, "Diamagnetic properties of metamaterials: A magnetostatic analogy," Eur. Phys. J. B, Vol. 41, No. 3, 307-312, Oct. 2004. doi:10.1140/epjb/e2004-00322-7